Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Owners Care & Maintenance

Comments

• ced1ced1 Posts: 8
    They may no longer be officially covered by the 3/36, but because there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this exact repair, I think you should be able to have the repair covered. I had a Blazer with a $600 emissions problem that was covered long out of warranty, because there had been a TSB. My dealer never charged me. Nissan needs to step up to the plate on this.
    I feel strongly because my '01 LE had the same problem (fully covered) at 16,000 miles. Now I feel lucky...
  • I purchased a 2001 PATHFINDER LE in March 2001. I currently have 30,000 miles. By this August I am going to have 36000 miles thereby exhausting my warranty before March 2004. I was wondering if it is worth purchasing the extended warranty through Nissan before I reach 36000 mile. Nissan has not performed any of my regular maintenance so I do not know if they will hassle me if I brought the vehicle back to the dealer with an extended warranty. Has anyone purchased an extended warranty and if so what has been your experience and is it worth spending the 800-900 dollars for the extended warranty?
  • jeg72jeg72 Posts: 18
    Where did you see the TSB? I looked on the NHTSA website and I found nothing specific to the Pathfinder.
  • ced1ced1 Posts: 8
    The link to the nhtsa PDF file is:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/TSBScans/sb628220.pdf

If you have trouble, or even if you don't, go here too it will be helpful:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

and search: vehicles/year/nissan truck/etc./etc... until you find it under exhaust manifold and oxygen sensors. Good luck! You should not have to pay!!!!
  • svier1svier1 Posts: 6
    I have a 1991 Se with the right rear window stop working. How do I remove the door panel to get to the window motor? I just can't seem to be able to remove the entire panel, keeps handing near the door pull. Any thoughts?
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    Hi:

I just purchased a Nissan oil filter,and think I may change over to full synthetic motor oil. I have not changed the oil myself on this vehicle, but have access to ramps etc.

As I need to check my metric wrench inventory, does anyone know the size of wrench to remove the drain plug and the engine protective shield?
    (2001 3.5 VQ engine)

Thanks
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    Working from memory here woody, but as I recall the undercover bolts are 12 mm and the oil drain plug is either 14 mm or 17 mm - I think it was 17 mm. You just use a slot screwdriver for the center plastic holder (I threw mine away - it's not easy to remove and I don't think it does anything with all those bolts).

Got to do my 30,000 km service in the next few weeks too.
    Thanks for your help. I am recovering from a back injury and don't want to have to climb underneath too many times! Did you purchase a special oil filter wrench, or how do you remove the filter?

I bought 5 litres of Castrol Syntec 5W/30, which is on sale at Canadian Tire for one more week ($6.49 litre). Is 5 litres sufficient?

Thanks again, can hardly wait to get greasy again!

Woody
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    5 litres is just perfect. I was wondering about whether you might have trouble with the filter last night. If the dealer monkey ;-) put the thing on you may need a wrench to get it off. I do mine "bare handed", as I don't over tighten them when I install them. The original one was too tight, and I used an expanding wrench (not a recommended procedure). The filter is smaller than most filter wrenches can handle. You can remove the "belt protector" (four bolts) if you have trouble. That will give you more room to apply necessary force. Canadian Tire has a fancy filter wrench that looks like it will work (take a filter to their store to check the fit). I don't think you want to order the Nissan part ($$$$$ as I recall).
    Thanks again. Last evening I looked at the filter wrenches at Canadian Tire, and saw they have one that fits over the end of the filter. I did not have the Nissan filter with me, and could not see a listing from their selection which would fit the Pathfinder. I will be prepared to have a wrench when I undertake the process. I think I should be good to go now.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Posts: 1,518
    I shopped several outlets today, and finally settled for the Fram fuel filter at Walmart. It costs $9.97 and is made in Israel. My Haynes book says that the filter on 1996-2001 PFs is located "near the rear differential." My apprehension is mounting... (:o]
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Posts: 1,518
    Spent about 1.5 hours altogether on the fuel filter replacement job. It was not fun performing the task using jack stands versus having a lift, but all in all, a needed job completed.
  • I changed five of my Pathfinder's six spark
    plugs. The sixth one is way behind and below
    to be accessed. Does anybody have any idea
    how to get to the sixth spark plug?

Thank you ....

cj
  • baydogbaydog Posts: 15
    After changing my oil a half-dozen times, several screws that hold the plastic underbody protector (under where the oil filter is) have been stripped beyond repair. My question is, does this flat plastic sheet (what's it called anyway?) have any useful purpose for those of us that don't drive off-road? It sure would speed up oil changes if I didn't have to remove and install this every time. Has anyone else had problems with the screws? Can I safely leave this off? Thanks, Ryan
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I think it's more to keep everything clean than to really protect anything. You would need a true skid plate for that. More & more vehicles are using them, including our Hyundai Accent.
  • walter12walter12 Posts: 30
    I read somewhere that the plastic underbody protectors on newer cars help with airflow. This is all in an attempt to get better mileage. I wish I could cite the source and I hope my memory is accurate. I have not had any trouble with the screws holding the protector, however.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    That makes sense also, that it would make the car more aerodynamic. I've also lost a few of the screws that hold it on but I still have enough to hold it on.
  • goose1207goose1207 Posts: 113
    Another option is to spend $40 on an oil extractor, assuming you can get at the filter from opening the hood.
  • brisoupbrisoup Posts: 43
    Hi, Now that the weather is getting warmer I'm going to wax my Pathfinder for the first time. I was wondering if somebody from this board can recommend what product I should use. I normally wax my vehicle twice a year. I'm looking for a product that is durable and gives a decent shine.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    I have great results with Mother's pre-wax cleaner, followed by 3m hand glaze, followed by Mother's carnuba wax. It is three trips around the block but works nicely. To reduce it to 2 trips just do the glaze and wax. To get sap and other junk off the hood / roof / trunk use a clay bar. Mother's makes that too.