Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Owners Care & Maintenance

Comments

• xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    What year? The 1st-generation hardbody-style Pathfinders are body-on-frame, and use the chassis ID "WD21". The Nissan Hardbody pickups share the same chassis, except without the "W" in the ID.

2nd-generation unibody Pathfinders (96-04) use the chassis ID "R50". This chassis is unique to the Pathfinder and the Infiniti QX4.

3rd-generation Pathfinders (05+) are built on a modifed Titan/Armada chassis. Sorry, I don't know the chassis ID.
  • mavis68mavis68 Posts: 3
    I broke the driver's side door handle off my '00 PF/LE (don't ask -- long story that doesn't reflect well on me). I researched the part which was available to order thru dealers for $100 or via an internet salvage operation for $35. I selected the more reasonable option. I just received the handle and it appears (now that I see what's on the other side of the door) I have to take apart the entire door to replace the piece. Is there anyone who might have experience with this who could offer an easier/alternate solution? Thanks in advance - Jill
  • sbgt94sbgt94 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder SE. I believe this has a timing chain (not a belt)? Can you confirm? If it is a chain, does this need to be replaced like a belt? Thanks
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    2001 and later have a chain. It's "lifetime", I was told. I think that means if it wears out the rest of the engine did too ;-) .
  • rover1rover1 Posts: 1
    I'm trying to figure out how to change the V-belts on my '95 Pathfinder. So far can't determine how to get to them. Any advice? :mad:
    Thanks,
    V
  • wwjblwwjbl Posts: 1
    I have a 93 PT 4x4SEV6, it is a great vehicle. However, I do have some electrical problems. First of all my cruise control and left front bright head light are not working. They seem to have gone out at about the same time. The first cruise light on the dash comes on when I turn the switch on. However, the cruise does not engage when I push the switch on the blinker handle. As far as the bright headlight goes, I have replaced the bulb, didn't work.
    The next problem is that my power locks, door lock remote, and security system do not work.
    I'm also curious about replacements parts, like seat covers, door handles, mirrors, hubcaps, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, wwjbl
  • mypathymypathy Posts: 7
    Hello Car Enthusiasts

I bought the Zaino car care product (zfx, z2, z5, z6, and z7) after reading a lot of reviews on different web sites. My 05 Pathy is a month old and I have tried washing and polishing with “armor all”, the results are OK but I want to get that show car finish. Being a new car I feel this is the time to apply some premium polish to retain that glossy showroom look.

Please send me any recommendations or suggestions whether to apply this polish and if it is safe to do so.

Thanks all!
    First, it's always safe to apply Zaino. The instructions on their website are pretty good.
    First, remember that anytime you touch the vehicle you scratch it! Usually the scratches are too small to see, but they can add up. Try to avoid circular motions, as the scratches they leave will be seen as "swirl marks" and will show up at any angle. Move fore aft on horizontal surfaces and up down on vertical surfaces. This way, any visible scratches you leave will only show up at one angle to the ambient light. Apply Zaino products very thinly. It works better this way. You can always go back and add another coat as all Zaino products are compatible and can be applied on top of whatever Zaino product is already there.
    The way I apply Zaino and they tell you to is:

1. Wash with mild dish detergent (they mention "Dawn") to remove all previous wax/coatings. This is not recommended for frequent application (dish detergent), but once every year or two shouldn't hurt anything.

2. Once every few years (or more often if you park outside), use the "clay bar" to remove "bonded contaminants". Your new vehicle may not need this step yet, but you can test by gently running your hand over the cleaned finish. If you feel rough "things" on the paint use the clay bar to remove them. It should be "glass smooth". Use the Zaino car wash soap (Z7) mixed as per instructions as a lubricant. I put it in a spray bottle and apply and then immediatly use the clay bar. Rinse the vehicle off and dry using a cotton bath towel (they recommend "Canon" brand to ensure it is cotton). The towel is used because it increases the area of the drying cloth, thus reducing the chances any dirt picked up will scratch the finish. I like to shake it out from time to time as well to remove anything bad it picks up.

3. Apply the Z1 to the car.

4. You don't have to let the Z1 dry, you can apply Z2, Z3, or Z5 right over top of it. Put this stuff on as thinly as you can, even if you can't see it very well. Let it dry to a haze. Even in the sun is fine. You can leave it on as long as you like before wiping it off.

5. Use the CLEANED cotton bath towel to remove the Z2, Z3, or Z5. DO NOT press hard when doing so. It should come off very easilly.

6. You can now stop and admire the results, or use the Z6 to enhance the shine or prepare the surface for a second coat. Use a cotton towel again, spray on the Z6 and wipe off immediatly - don't let it dry. Operate in small areas at a time.

Enjoy the results!
  • kvincentkvincent Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Pathfinder LE. I'd like to flush the coolant system myself, but I can't find the drain plug or petcock! I removed the plastic skidplate and checked a service manual I got from Haynes. That manual said the plug would be in the center of the vehicle and could be opened with a large phillips screwdriver. The only place that could accept the screwdriver is on the driver's side behind a bolted-on piece of what appears to be frame. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Kathleen Vincent
    On 2001 models it's on the bottom plastic rad. tank, rear or engine facing side of the tank. You do have to have the undertray off to see it (you called it a skidplate). It's flush with the tank wall so you have to look closely.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    On my 2001 PF the low pressure AC refrigerant hose that runs from the compressor to the cooling unit is leaking where it attaches to the metal piping. Does anyone know what type of clamp (for lack of a better term) this uses? I can't figure out how to tighten it or what to replace. Thanks...
  • jpetrojpetro Posts: 2
    My wife and I recently purchased a 2001 Pathfinder LE w/41,000 miles. I am getting conflicting information about which grade of fuel (premium or regular) it requires. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks...
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    91 is recommended by Nissan. I use 89 for my 01LE. Good balance between power and fuel economy. Any lower octane and your engine with retard ignition(reduce power) to prevent engine knocking and IMHO use more gas. Great SUV!
  • jpetrojpetro Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. We'll start running the 89 octane and see. We're very pleased with the LE Pathfinder so far.
  • cochecoche Posts: 2
    i don't see an answering post to your question. i'm having the same problem--did you ever find out where the fuse is???
  • cochecoche Posts: 2
    nevermind--got it. it's the same fuse as the tail lights (marked "TAIL") under the hood on the passenger side of my '97.
  • caleb2caleb2 Posts: 3
    theres a product called goo-gone! its just for sticker removal. lowes or home depot it works perfect and wont hurt the surface.
    2001 LE

I measured 3.75 quarts drained from the ATF pan using the drain plug. I ended up refilling with 4.0 quarts. I use mobil 1 Synthetic. Note that this is not a complete system flush but a simple drain and fill. The whole transmission has a 9.75 quart capacity.

Just an FYI.
  • nik2001lenik2001le Posts: 1
    Yes, I have the same problem with my 2001 LE Pathfinder. It means that there are CD's stuck in the changer. I tried everything to get it out. The warranty does not cover this. The cost is $190 just to send it out from the dealer to see if it can be fixed. I've decided to just live without Cd's
    If you want to keep the OEM stereo and not have the dealer fix it. Try the link below. It is a less expensive alternative.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNispthfndr03StrR.htm.htm