Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I read with interest, that others have experienced different engine noises at intermittant intervals but usually when cold. Mine is a 2006 2.5 SVE PF, 20k miles on it, the dealer tells me that nothing is wrong. but i instinctly feel that the springy tappity engine noise when accelerating is definatley not normal. does anyone else have any ideas what causes this. i am so frustrated, please help. thanks
  • fart1fart1 Posts: 1
    hey,
    Ive heard of this before, my moms crapalier did it too the additve package in the oil used doesnt agree with the materials in the engine and the oil turns almost like a molassess type substance in the bottom of the oil pan.... we found this out because a week later the engine spun the main bearings, broke the crank, conrods, and siezed a piston. and once the stealership dissassembled the engine they discovered this stuff in the oil pan. dont know if this is true for you, but id definitly have that possibility checked.
  • I was cleaning my patherfinder today and accidently unplugged the electric seat on the Drivers side. Where can a get information on how/where the unplugged wire goes. I looked extensively under the seat, but it was not obvious where to plug in
  • Try this -
    http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R51/Service/fwd.pdf

Internet resources are abundant elsewhere.
  • Thank you for your help!
  • Does a 2001 Pathfinder have a belt or a chain?

Thanks,

Tom
  • 01pf_se01pf_se Posts: 10
    It has a Timing chain.
  • I have a 2005 SE, and mine only has 18K on it. My engine seems to be making a lot more noise than a fairly new car (or truck) should make. It roars on accelleration. Almost like a race car. It just seems much louder than it did when it was newer. I feel like I should bring it in, but I think I would feel stupid telling the maintenance guy "It seems loud, can you fix that?" I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world. Do they all sound really loud? I spoke to another person who has a 2006, and she said hers is loud too.
  • Own a 2001 Pathfinder. Just recently the Check engine light came on and the truck has been misfiring on and off for the last two days. Had mechanic look at it and while on they way there the truck stopped misfiring. He said the code was a mis fire code but could not fix as there was nothing wrong. Said it was not the ignition coil. When doing research he found a report stating this is a common problem and the solution is to rewire truck completely. Big $

Any suggestions?
    Mark
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    I've actively followed this board since I bought my '01 Pathfinder almost 5 1/2 years ago, and I've never heard of this diagnosis. What code was stored?
  • Rewire the whole truck because of a misfire code? That sounds pretty far fetched. Does this mechanic work for a Nissan dealer? Sounds like he's baiting you. Did you see the report he referenced?
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    pdog,

I wish I had the answer. So you don't feel alone, I also have the same problem with my '03 LE (3.5L), probably a bit worse. I'm not driving it hard, and I'll only get about 15 at best with pure highway driving, 10-12 with mixed driving. Pretty frustrating. The stealer is no help with this one either.
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    I have an '03 LE with about 33K on it. Recently, the starter began to crank real slow, indicating a weak battery. It got really cold here in the northeast, but I never had this problem before. As you can guess by the mileage, I don't drive it everyday, and it sometimes sits for a week at a time in my driveway. At the same time, my slip, stability control and brake lights began to stay illuminated, making me think this is an (expensive) electical problem rather than a battery whose life has withered away. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the culprit here. I don't want to go to the stealer who will probably charge me for a diagnosis and a new computer to be installed, only to find out it was something completely different causing the problems. Thanks in advance.
  • What is the recommended mileage for replacing the timing chain on a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with a 3.5 V6?

Thanks,

Tom
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Take a voltmeter and measure the battery voltage without a load tester. Best done after the vehicle has been sitting awhile (overnight at least). You should see at least 12 VDC. If you see 10-11 V you have a dead cell and need a new battery. Measure the battery voltage when you are starting the vehicle. It shouldn't drop below 11 V. If it does, and you were measuring at the battery posts (not after the cable connection), then you need a new battery.

Leaving the vehicle sitting will drain the battery slowly and can be hard on it if you don't take it for a long drive once a week (an hour or more).

My 2001 has removable caps on the battery, and I've been able to top up the fluid with distilled water. If the fluid gets down, the battery looses power. If you can top it up, try that before replacing it. You need to charge it up properly after topping it up - again, a one hour or longer drive will do that.

With the engine running, you should see between 13 and 14 V at the battery, nominally 13.8 or so. When it's cold it should increase to 14 or so. If you see these voltages, your charging system is ok.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    It's supposed to last "the life of the engine". I haven't seen a replacement interval in the shop manual.
  • That's what I was hoping for.
  • Opening another window does not help, it gets louder. Nissan should be made aware of this problem. They should install wind deflectors on the rear windows and the fronts. I have a 2006 Pathfinder and this problem is a pain in the #@%&*! How can we get this Problem sent to Nissan. Anyone know? :mad:
  • I have the same problem. It sounds like there is a helicopter flying into my car and my ear drums pop!. The dealership told me to crack my front window slightly so the air circulates. :mad: I am going to take this up further a will update you on monday the 11th of feb
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    This is very common, it's called buffetting. The way to fix this is to crack the front and rear windows about 1" and it should clear it up.

-mike