Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Smokey, I've always filled mine until fresh grease appears at the cover...just the same as if you were greasing a ball joint, tie rod end, etc.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I've always filled mine until fresh grease appears at the cover...just the same as if you were greasing a ball joint, tie rod end, etc.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What cover will fresh grease appear at?
  • Any codes? Sounds like related to the idle airflow bypass or the temp controlled idle arm. is it a 3.3L V6?
  • I have a '95 XE with 101,000 miles and my plug foul almost instantly and there is a very strong gas smell under hood while cranking. There are no leaks and all of the plugs looked the same-very black, wet, and lots of fuel. I thought it maybe be a sensor telling FI that it was cold and to dump fuel but I can't find anything. Any help would be great thank you in advance.
  • Does the 1995 have an OBDII plug anywhere? I cant find one under the dash.
  • Hi
    Im tring my best to locate the fuel filter so that I can replace for sevicing.
    Can some body tell me where it is?
    Where is it located? :confuse:
    please
    Greg
  • Using 10/30 now, anybody know if 20/50 is recommended now (at 134,000 mi) ? Good idea? Personal experience etc??? Thanks!
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I have a 2001 and don't have it with me to check but I seem to remember it's located underneath near the rear of the vehicle.
  • yes its near the rear driver side tire towards the center of the vehicle.
  • any one know how to take out torsion bars out
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,743
    Anyone know what this normally means?
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    It means that there is a trouble code stored in your engine's computer. A scan tool is needed to read the code, and there are something like 100 different codes. As a free service Auto Zone will read the code for you and tell you what the code means.
  • I have a 98 PF with 129K miles and SES light came on Friday after work. Checked this site all references are with emission and loose gas cap, so didn't pay too much attention was hoping after 6 starts the light would go away. Never made it that far. The same night after the 3rd starts, the 4th did not. So I had it towed to local repair shop until tomorrow when they open. The car cranks but it won't catch. Had a similar problem 3 years ago but it was attributed (so they told me) to my auto remote car start system. Had it disable since then until latest epidsoe. Last time there was no SES or warning, the engine just ceased while I was driving. At least this time the SES light came on, and whenever the light comes on, it usually will cost some $$.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,743
    Yikes. I'm sorry about your difficulties. Mine has been on for a month or more and the car feels fine. I'll take it to AutoZone to see what they say.
  • Update to my 98PF. Thought maybe the catalytic converter was clogged so the car wouldn't start, and the check engine light (emission related?). Got the bad news that it was the distributor, which is more habitual for Honda than Nissans. Anyway, a new one at $460 plus labor and tax, OTD price was $650. I guess it is cheaper than 2 car payments.
  • I have a wonderful 1995 Pathfinder but for the last year I have been struggling with this. The door ajar light comes on..sometimes it stays on other times it flickers on and off. It may go for days without coming on or stay on for days at a time. We adjusted the driver door whose hinge had become damaged from years on leaning on the door when getting out. The back driver door button sensor had a damaged rubber coating so we taped it down to see if that was the problem. It did not make a difference. Oddly having weight in the back hatch section seems to make it worse so we think it may be the hatch sensor(wherever it may be)
    I am at my wits end because I can not use my alarm or my dome lights.
    Any thoughts or advice
  • dmurr3dmurr3 Posts: 11
    Hi Jackie. Did you get this issue repaired? I'm experiencing the same problem with PO420 and PO430 and curious to see what you did to fix it. I searched this forum and found the following posting from a member in 2005: "Two of the stored codes (P0420 and P0430)indicated that the two catalytic converters had failed. The service writer told me that Nissan issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about this. He suggested before replacing the converters at $900 each, that they try updating the calibration on the engine computer (ECM) pursuant to the TSB, but that it would cost me $165. The good news is that the repair is apparently successful." Thanks!
  • I would suspect that the door ajar might be the switch for the rear hatch. Just the other day I had the door ajar light and flickering interior light with my 2001 PF, and just had not slammed the rear hatch tight enough (appeared to be closed, but not quite).

And shane13, I cannot see a need to use thicker than Nissan recommended oil unless you really abused your 95 PF and it is consuming quantities of oil. The first weekend I had my 95 Maxima SE (May 94) I took it to the dragstrip to see what it would do, dual laps around a gokart track (Solo II), and high speed autocross on a 2 mile road racing track. But despite competition driving take care of it, so any thicker oil is not needed 13 years later (no engine, clutch, trans, or diff problems, except injectors and O2 sensors).

The Maxima has been the most durable and fun car I ever had. So I had no reservations purchasing the 2001 Pathfinder SE when 3 years old @ 99,000 miles for half the price of a new 2004, which is also a pleasure to drive and reliable.
  • i cant find the electrical plugs where they go if some one can take some pics of there transfer case
  • My 2001 just failed the Emissions Inspection in MA. I also got P0420 and P0430 codes. I've taken it to two different places and both say the catalytic converters are bad and need to be replaced. Sadly, I'm at 83k miles (3k miles pass warranty) and neither the dealership or consumer affairs will help me.

Three places I've contacted have all given quotes of around $1.8k to replace both cats. All three places also won't use aftermarket cats as they won't meet MA and CA emission standards.

Has anyone used aftermarket cats and still passed the emissions test?