Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• We bought our 2001 Nissan Pathfinder in Sept of 02. My wife took it in on Wednesday to have the tires rotated at Goodyear. Of course, they got her to pay for several things that "they found" - one of these things being that one of the wires connected to the battery was "becoming corroded" so she agreed to a $10 charge to clean it. When she picked up the pathfinder, the Bose radio works, but the CD player now no longer does. It displays Err2. It was FINE before she took it in.

So... she went back. They called Bose and Nissan for the unlock/reset code. Neither would provide it. they both said for her to bring it in. So.... she did. Then after an hour and a half said that she would have to have it replaced. She asked for the code which they would not provide her.

CAN ANYONE HELP? I'M SICK OF THE RUNAROUND!

Mike & Jenn

mikeisalegend@yahoo.com
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    There is no code that I'm aware of. Failure of the 6 disk CD changer is common. Sounds like a coincidence to me that it failed when the Goodyear shop was extracting money from your wife.
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    That is what happend to my '01 LE under similar circumstances. I had to disconnect my negative cable (changed In-cabin Filter per instructions) and when reconnecting it sparked about three times as I was wiggling it to fit in. After that, my CD changer had the ERR2.

There are no codes or reset mechanisms. Had to bring to Nissan Dealer to replace whole unit. Replaced with refurbished unit and sent old CD Changer off to Clarion. It is a Clarion problem and they are the only ones that can fix it. They sent my stuck CD's back after serveral months. Mine was covered under warranty thank goodness.

So, be careful when connecting battery cables on the Pathies with CD Changers. Don't spark the connection too many times.
  • I was recetly diagnosed with a shot resonator. Actually Nissan diagnosed both front and back (part #s 20020 and 20010)totalling $1000 in parts alone. Is this something I should have Nissan take care of or take a chance with a shop. I do not have faith in any shops in Chicago I have been to. Also, one shop wanted what the parts are called as opposed to the Nissan part #s. Can you help me with those as well? Your help is appreciated.
  • I took my truck in for an oil change and was told i had a leak in my cadelatic converter. Well I just took it to Nissan today to have it fixed, they said it was my resonator and that it was not covered by my warrant, i have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/55K miles on it. they quoted me $610!! I am going to take it somewhere else before dishing out $610!
  • When I bought the car I got about 270 miles to a tank. Started to see that slip a little after the 1st year I had the vehicle, but still around 240 - 250 mile/tank. Last winter and now this winter, I barely get over 210 miles to a tank. Dealer tells me it is "oxygenated" gas. Says, service stations use this gas during the cold weather and as a result, you get poor mileage. Can anyone confirm this or is it a bunch of BS?

Also, have been dealing with a tempermental SES light as I posted earlier. Could bad O2 sensors cause this loss of fuel ecomomy??
  • depdep Posts: 79
    I can give you the name and number of a very fine shop that is owner run in the Lincolnshire, IL area if you are interested.

We have had nothing but good experiences with him.

Let me know if you want the contact info.
  • I have a 2001 nissan pathfinder 48K miles. About a year ago had an accident where they had to replace basically the whole left driver side suspension.

I'm now having problem with squeaking while turning on low speed with 4wd engaged.

I took it to two mechanics:

First one wanted to replace just the strut mount and second wanted to replace the cv axle, lower ball joint, and front wheel bearing.

I don't quite understand the mechanical portion of this problem. The nissan dealer stated (if I understood it correctly) that the pathfinder does not have a ball joint--has a strut instead.

Any suggestions/comments/solutions? any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Winter gas will reduce mileage slightly...and so will bad O2 sensors. I had been noticing a gradual but significant drop in fuel mileage over the last few months and suspected something was up. Sure enough, the SES light came on and didn't go off. I knew from a similar experience a year ago that it was probably the O2 sensors again. Took it in and they confirmed that the rear sensors were bad ( I think the front sensors were replaced last time). I'll be doing a back to back check on mileage to confirm improvement. If same as last time, it will jump significantly.
  • I have a minor but annoying problem with my 01 Pathfinder LE. I've noticed that there is a weird "gap" in the steering feel when returning to the on-center position which is very noticeable when turning tightly, say in a parking lot. You can feel it almost like a bump in the steering feedback...with absolutely no noise associated with it...just the feel. The dealer also felt it and tried to tighten the steering rack. It is reduced somewhat but hasn't gone away. Any ideas?
  • Sure, thanks. I live in Chicago but work in Des Plaines so I am willing to travel 13 more miles for a referral garage. Send along the info....
  • I have a 2003 PF, was parallel parked, and some jack*** backed the corner of their bumper into the front right quarterpanel, leaving a lovely crater. Hit and run of course. Paint's not damaged though, and I'm short on cash this time of year -- anybody know anything about paintless dent removal? Specifically, is this nationwide "Dent Wizard" outfit reputable? Thanks much --
  • dny42dny42 Posts: 8
    My SES light has been on for about 6 months now. I've had it looked at twice. The mechanic changed the O2 sensor and the light went out. Shortly afterwards, it came on again. The mechanic has done all testing using the computer and all readings indicate that the truck is fine. However, my SES light is still on. I've got 72,000 miles on it. I'm currently using unleaded 89 octane gas from Randall's/Tom Thumb. From reading the posts, it seems as if it could be the gas. Which fuel cleaner should I try please?
  • konekone Posts: 19
    97 pathfinder Se w/ auto climate control. problem is: hvac blows all hot as soon as the temp dial is raised at least two notches above full cold (blue.) stays the same with a/c button in, ac blows cold as long as the temp dial is all the way left but as soon as i move it two notches, it goes all full-blast hot. It's never tempered.

if i use auto setting it does basically the same, all hot except for the two left/blue/cold settings. i already tried replacing the power module but that wasn't it. any ideas?

thanks in advance.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Hi guys, I'm looking at a couple of pathfinders. The first one is a '99.5 LE, with 79k miles on it. It's fully loaded with leather, heated seats, bose sound, moonroof, etc. The price the dealer has on it is $14,950. The second is an '02 SE 5 speed, not as loaded up but still quite nice, 35k miles, for $17,900.

My questions are, do these sound like good prices? What are known problems to look for when trying one out? What major services have to be done to them? I have a '99 Explorer that I can't wait to get rid of, and it needed a transmission fluid change at 30k, ect. I have heard about the timing belt having to be changed, a water pump having to be put on, stuff like that.

I have a friend who has an '88 Pathfinder with, as he calls it, "over a quarter million miles," or in laymens terms about 260k. He also has a '96 Pathfinder with about 105k on it. He swears by Nissan and will not own anything other than a Nissan or Toyota, and possibly a Honda.

I'm also looking at 4Runners as well. They're a little more expensive, and most of the ones I've seen have higher mileage than the Pathfinders. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

idntnvu
  • konekone Posts: 19
    The work is done and there's quite a difference. With limited testing so far, the shimmy seems to be gone and the over-all ride has improved.
  • winxsdwinxsd Posts: 3
    I have recently purchased a '99 Pathfinder SE (65,000 miles) and have noticed that it has a hard time shifting when the vehicle is very cold. More specifically, it seems to take too long to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Once the vehicle warms up, it shifts just fine. I was thinking of switching to synthetic automatic transmission fluid to see if it would help the cold temperature shifting.

Does anyone have experience with synthetic ATF's? Is there a preferred brand?

Thanks,

winxsd
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    I use Mobil One Synthetic ATF on '01 LE with 54K miles. It runs smoother with no problems at all. I suspect that when you changed ATF fluids you did not fill up to proper level. Run/drive engine till it is warm and pull ATF dipstick to check with engine on and parked on level surface. Read the hot side markers on dipstick. I suspect it will be low.

Good luck!
  • moymchmoymch Posts: 4
    Not sure where you live, but look up a company called PARS out of Denver CO. My 03 PF had over $3K in hail damage. Now you can not even tell there was ever a dent in it.
  • moymchmoymch Posts: 4
    Just wonder if anyone else has this prob. I have an 03 PF/LE. The dealer here in Colorado Springs has ruined all 4 rims by scratching the crap out of the paint in the lug holes. They replaced 2 and had 2 repaired. When rotating my tires they did the same thing a second time. I'm told that I am being to picky. I wonder if that is the case or do I just expect quality work from Nissan techs.
  • wbaywbay Posts: 34
    Has anyone with an '05 Pathfinder considered the difference in off road capability with the addition of fully independent suspension? I'm considering going to a PF, but am a little leary of the new suspension configuration.

Thanks
  • Thanks much, but I'm in CT. It's looking like a body shop's the way to go, can't get a read on these paintless operations and don't want to waste the money if I'm going to end up at a body shop anyway.
  • brianabriana Posts: 24
    Just got an 05 Pathfinder last night after 2 1/2 hellish years with an 02 Maxima. Swore I'd never get another Nissan b/c I think Nissan's quality control has taken a turn for the worse and their service department is horrendous.

Unable to resist the looks and price of the Pathfinder, I pull off the lot with my loaded LE and the VSC and SLIP buttons come on on the dash. I think nothing of it and figure I need to read the owner's manual. Get home, check it out, and there is a reset feature. Try the reset about 5 times and it doesn't work. Try getting this taken care of since 10 am and they finally say I can come in at 4:30. An hour and a half later they can't fix it and need to hold it till tomorrow. So now my brand new, less than 24 hour old truck is in the shop and I'm driving a Sentra.

I brought it on myself for getting another Nissan, should have known better.
  • andy8andy8 Posts: 2
    My 05 Pathfinder transmission went after 10 days and six hundard miles. Is anyone else having a problem with the 05 Pathfinder transmission.
    Sounds like the new Pathfinder has a few bugs in it. I know somebody has to be the guinea pig, but I've always been told, never buy a new model in it's first year. Thats when all the bugs get worked out of it.
  • wbaywbay Posts: 34
    Ditto. The more I look into the 05 PF, the less appealing it becomes. Sounds like Nissan has lots of things to work out.

Maybe next year.
    Yep, I like the old ones better anyway. If you "gotta have" that third row seat, then head for a 4Runner, or one of the Domestics. Maybe even an XL7 if you adjust yourself accordingly ;).
  • gc1975gc1975 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE. I had to have the windshield replaced due to a crack. The technician called me into the shop and showed me that the factory windshield was installed missing a 6 inch strip of mastic/ caulking across the bottom in the center of the windshield. Also a 3/4 inch was missing in front of the driver position. The foam rubber linning in front of the dash was wet. I haven't noticed any water inside, but my Navigation system reception is intermittent and now non existent. The right side of the instrument pannel lights working intermittenly. Moisture related???

Good luck!
  • Wanted to know if anyoneis familiar with this...I have a '00 PF SE, within the last 4-5 months the gas pedal periodically would stick and I would have to apply extra pressure to pedal to press it down. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • winxsdwinxsd Posts: 3
    I just dealt with a sticky gas pedal on my '99 Path SE. To fix this, I removed the air intake hose from the throttle body to allow me to get at the throttle. At this point I just sprayed the inside of the throttle with throttle body cleaner from Autozone (~$3)while openeing and closing the throttle. I put a rag under the opening to the throttle to catch all the gunk that came out. I also used a clean rag that was soaked in throttle body cleaner and carefully wiped the inside of the throttle a little. It has been a few weeks now and no more stick!!

winxsd