Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• toddf1toddf1 Posts: 4
    This is great stuff Jim, thanks for taking the time to write. I will check out the info and let you know how I make out. If you ever get to Vancouver Island give me a shout, not far from Victoria. I'll treat you to some of our good ole canadian beer.

thanks again,

Todd
  • I am having the same problems with my '01 pathfinder. I was wondering if you have found out anything. I have replaced one coil. And another one started to go bad and then all of a sudden it is working ok.. Anyone have any ideas??
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Two comments about your unfortunate situation:

1) You really don't know how the vehicle was maintained prior to you buying it. Though unlikely, it's possible that the oil had never been changed!

2) Driving the truck with the oil pressure light on most likely finished off the engine, if it had previously been salvageable. Even though you added oil, if the oil pump had failed (which is one cause for the oil pressure warning lamp to glow) no oil was reaching the top of the engine. The knocking sound you were hearing was probably the engine self-destructing due to insufficient lubrication.

The recommended course of action to be taken in such a situation is to immediately pull safely off the road and shut off the engine and promptly call for a tow truck. Since you noticed an oil trail, it would have been prudent to check for the source of the oil leak. It could have been as simple as a blown seal or as catastrophic as a connecting rod punching a hole in the oil pan. Adding oil to an engine with a huge oil leak won't do anything except leave a longer trail of oil on the ground.

Good luck with your repair!
  • Thank you for your reply. I do understand that by driving it, I may have doomed myself to the cost of a new engine. Oh well, live and learn. I must confess, though, that I am quite uneasy about my pathfinder now. I am getting an engine with 87, 000 miles on it, 3,000 less than the one that just blew, because that is all that I can afford. Will I live in fear each time I start it up that I am going to have to replace the engine yet again? Time will tell.

But on the bright side, I have another 60,000 miles until I have to change the timing belt.
    :)
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Take heart- This type of occurrence is quite rare among Nissan engines. Provided the engine you're getting is in reasonably good condition (compression test passes, etc.) it should last quite a while. I know other Pathfinder owners who have over 225,000 miles on their original engines.

Does your mechanic (or dealer) know the cause of the engine failure? Was it a failed oil pump?

Also, recheck the timing belt change interval. It may be longer than 60K miles (possibly as many as 90K).
  • jim243jim243 Posts: 7
    Todd, I thought about some of the information I gave you in my first message and the screws behind the ash tray were removed when I replaced the radio not when I worked on the instrument cluster. I think I replaced the voltage regulator in 1998 so some of the details are a little fuzzy now. We sold the Pathfinder in 2003 so I didn't have it to look at. By the way, after replacing the voltage regulator the problem never came back. Good luck with the fix and thanks beer offer. Jim
  • pathy04pathy04 Posts: 27
    I had an 01 Pathy SE 4x4with 90,000 miles, traded in for a new 04 LE 4x4, just 6000 miles on it
    (1) Recently i had the "4WD" light on for about a day or two. took it to dealer, could not find anything, i believe they reset the computer and the problem went away. Does anyone had this problem with their LE?
    (2). Also my mileage seems low, gives about 10-12 miles. I drive in 2WD mode,except during snow or heavy thunderstorms. Its 3.5Liter 240hp. my SE 4x4 gave 16-18 miles/gallon all the time

Thanks
  • lou_999lou_999 Posts: 2
    Anybody have any problems with corroded step rails on a 2001 or newer Pathfinder ? The drivers side step rail on my 2001 is completely rusted out. I have at least 3 quarter sized holes in it. The rest of the body is in great shape. Nissan won't cover this under 5 year corrosion perforation warranty since they say that their warranty only covers body panels. They consider the step rail to be an accessory. Now I am SOL and have to fork over $600 for a new one.

I am very annoyed at Nissan since they have weasled their way out of this. Obviously there is a serious manufacturing defect with this part. The rest of the body is in perfect condition. In fact my exhaust system is in better shape than this step rail . This would literally be my only warranty claim on this vehicle. I have put 146,000 km on it without a single problem.

Any have any experiences like this ?
  • I just thought I would chime in on a rather positive experience to set you at ease. My 92 Pathy SE, same as yours, is still running strong with 230k miles on it, and Ill tell you that honestly Ive neglected the thing so bad Im amazed it runs. Im awful about oil changes, maybe 4 in the past 50k miles, I just add oil when the light comes on, I drive it HARD, as hard as it would be possible to drive it, and still, it runs. Its loud, and the exhause stinks a little, but it runs. Only thing ive replaced in the last 50k is the altnernator. And I have a current problem of it only starting up 80% of the time, but once its running, its strong. This with 230k, [non-permissible content removed] maintenence (too poor/lazy :-/), and it being driven to its limit. Im quite impressed with car. Actually very very impressed, and I dont think you have anything to worry about! Good luck!
  • theburdstheburds Posts: 5
    Let us know what the dealer says about the twang sound. I'd lik eto have some idea before I take mine in again. Thanks.
  • I have a 1990 Pathfinder, 5-Speed, that I purchased recently that the back-up lights don't work on. I jumpered the connection for the switch and they do work...replaced the switch and still don't work. Is there some adjustment inside the transmission or something?
  • cml17cml17 Posts: 4
    No, I haven't found out ANYTHING! It's funny because now suddenly my 2nd 'problem' coil seems to be working fine too. I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the warmer weather. Let me know if you ever find out anything and I will do the same. Thanks! :confuse: ">
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Have you tried changing the spark plugs? It's probably just about time.
  • swifteswifte Posts: 1
    This is related to a 2001 lwo-mileage Pathfinder. Several months ago, it had a high-pitched whine after starting the engine. Ths noise could last for a few seconds. The dealer replaced the starter, but this did not the solve the problem. They subsequently did something with the tensioner (I forget the details), and that did solve the problem. However, in the last couple of days, I noticed the noise returning. Any ideas on what might be happening?
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    sounds like your fan belts need to be retightened or all together replaced.
  • gresamgresam Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder and I hear pinging noises when I accelerate past 20 miles per hour. I took the car to my dealership and they say that it is a problem with all new Pathfinders and that Nissan would have to correct it. The noise is very annoying and have been in contact with Nissan about it. Are any other new Pathfinder owners having this problem. I know three people who own new ones and are having the same problem.
  • elbianelbian Posts: 10
    My 1991 Pathfinder has 145k miles on it. I took it into the dealer to get the spark plugs changed and they could only change 3 of 6. They said the other 3 were "rust frozen" into the engine block. They were last changed 2-3 years ago. How can I remove them without causing damage to the block? The dealer recommended leaving the frozen plugs in the engine block. I really don't like the idea of just changing 3 plugs, since I plan on keeping the truck for another 100k. I would appreciate any help.
  • gresamgresam Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder and I hear pinging noises when I accelerate past 20 miles per hour. I took the car to my dealership and they say that it is a problem with all new Pathfinders and that Nissan would have to correct it. The noise is very annoying. I have been in contact with the Nissan Service Center about it and I am getting the run around.
    Are any other new Pathfinder owners having this problem? I know three people who own new ones and are having the same problem. The dealership says that everyone has been bringing them back with the noises but they can't do anything about it. They even took me for a drive with another 05 Pathfinder and after 2 minutes I heard the same noise that I hear in mine.
    Someone get back to my I am getting angry and frustrated..
    It sounds like spark knock, i.e engine spark timing is off. May have to wait for Nissan to come out with software upgrade.

My sister's 2001 rodeo had that. ECM was reprogrammed by the Isuzu dealer. Got rid of the spark knock but low and behold, an engine stall problem occured soon after. Engine would shut down and instruments lights lit up like a Xmas tree. Isuzu had to reporgram again and spark knock returned but engine stalling problem cured. I will take the lesser of two evils.

I have faith Nissan will have a permanent fix. :shades:
    So much for Isuzu. :confuse:

Good luck with you.
  • I bought the all new 2005 pathfinder LE about a month ago and started hearing something rattling on the passenger side window (front) with the window up and with the window down 1/4 of the way (really loud). Took the car in twice for them to fix but they still cant find out what is causing the problem (they do hear the sound as well).
    Has anyone else have/had the same problem? And another thing, does anyone hear squeaking sounds or rubbing sounds in the interior when driving at normal speeds (+-25mph).
    I really like my new Pathy but these problems are really making me lose confidence on Nissan's quality.
  • My 05 LE has failed to start 6 times now over a 3 month period. I get power to all electronics. Nothing from engine or starter, quiet. After anywhere from 3-5 minutes of trying to start it will all of a sudden start. The challenge is that this is not constant and nothing is registered that can be found by the dealership in the codes. I even brought them in video to prove this was occurring after the last time (yesterday). They guess it is either a relay (which they have ordered a replacement) or one of the mother boards (the main or transmission). I am not super technical but that was what they told me. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? This is my first Nissan....so much for reliability :lemon:
  • theburdstheburds Posts: 5
    And this definitely isn't the intake manifold problem everyone has been writing about? If your car was produced after 1/7 it is not the intake manifold.
  • malziemalzie Posts: 1
    I just had a mechanic replace the seals and belts on my '94 Pathfinder yesterday. She's always been chipper, even when she's cold. After he did the work yesterday, she's sluggish as heck, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. I looked at her engine while she was running, and one of the belts has a little leeway, but I don't think it's was causing her to be sluggish suddenly. Any idea's?
  • iamknarfiamknarf Posts: 1
    When cruising between 60-70 mph my 2001 LE (70,000 miles) on a slight uphill grade (not enuf to kick-down the transmission) the engine seems to missfire or skip. Sometimes more severe than others but a very discernable momentary loss of power. No skip once the engine/tranny kicks down and acceleration is smooth. Been to 2 dealers..no codes on EMC..dealers both say nothing wrong. one dealer's service mech got in the car with me so i could demonstrate the skip. he felt it, used a portable anaylzer and still could not diagnose. Dealer wants to change the engine air flow meter at a cost of over $500.00!! this without any guarantee that the problem will be solved. Mechanic said dump some Dextron fuel injector cleaner and use high octance gas..Did this 400 miles ago and problem is still there..Any one have similar problem? Seems like it's a fuel delivery problem but again nothing on engine analyzer date..Stumped... :cry:
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Spark plugs? If they are still the originals they should be worn out.
    Spark plugs are Maintainence scheduled to be replaced at 105,000 miles. It doesn't mean that they do not need to be replaced though. I would check and replace the fuel filter and air filter. Fuel Filter is located just in front of the spare tire above the rear differential.
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    I have noticed a noise on mine also. Seems to be at around 15 mph. I always thought it was 'normal' until I read your post. I'm not sure if I'd consider it a 'twang'...I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I only seem notice it after I start it up and accelerate. If I'm driving and come to a stop, then accelerate I don't notice it. My first oil change isn't for a couple months yet, so please post any information you hear on this. Thanks.
  • timtay3timtay3 Posts: 1
    I bought a '94 Pathfinder LE at an auction yesterday. Got it cheap, assumed there would likely be some problems. Discovered shortly after that all I have is low gear (auto trans), and reverse. It will not upshift to 2nd gear or above. The tranny fluid level is good, doesn't appear to be burnt. no unusual tranny noise when driving. I checked the linkage, there is a small rod that goes forward from the shift mechanism that has a broken plastic connector. I'm not sure what this is or if it could be part of the problem. I talked to a trans shop, they though it may be a problem with the vehicle speed sensor, even though the speedo seems to work fine. Nissan dealer said something about a "rotation sensor?". Haynes and Chilton are pretty vague about trouble shooting any auto trans problems. Wondered if any one out there had run into or heard about this and had any suggestions before I commit to the big $ at a tranny shop.

Thanks for any help

Timtay
  • dexalldexall Posts: 1
    If the "Twang" you hear is coming from the front left side just before upshift from 1st to 2nd after start up, it almost sounds like the VDC kicking in as an automatic diagnostic process. I have driven my pathy in snow in multiple modes, living in New England. When a wheel slips the VDC kicks an and applies the brakes to the slipping wheel, you hear the same sound (granted for a more extended period of time until the vehicle regains grip on the slipping wheel).

I also have thought of this 1st-to-2nd "twang" or clicking sound as normal until reading this thread. I will inquire at my next checkup (not for quite some time) and am anxious to see if anyone comes up with a diagnosis prior to my checkup.
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    That's where it sounds like it's coming from - the front left side. It seems like if there was actually a problem that it would make that sound at every 1-2 shift. But like I said, the noise I hear only happens once after startup which would lead me to believe it's something like dexall was referring to. We'll wait and see if anyone finds out anything different.