Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tgeetgee Posts: 2
    Why is this, I've checked the bulb and there's only one, is it a wire issue, if yes can someone show me the way, the owners manual provide no information. Thanks.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    The bulb has two filaments, one for the lowbeam, one for the hi. (Well, actually that depends on which bulb your truck has. I'm referring to 9004 bulbs, which I know are used in the 96-99 model years.) It's likely that the lowbeam filament has burned out; you just need to replace the bulb and you'll be OK.
  • I just got this error message tonight for the first time. I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual on it. I just bought two of the six cds that are in the changer today and want to get them out!!!! Can you tell me what the error msg means (other than the cd player is about to die!) and how to get the cds out?
  • TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Not sure if the message means anything special but I've assumed it indicates there is a problem with the player reading or retrieving the CD. So far, I have always been able to get my CD's back. In one case, I had to let the car sit overnight. When I turned the CD player on in the morning, I was able to eject them. Hopefully, that is your case. Perhaps another member has other ideas as well.

I expect that at some point mine will go out for good and I will be installing an aftermarket unit. I just hate never being 100% sure the CD player will work. Sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nissan should have done better with the Bose stereos.

If all else fails, you probably have to go to the dealer. Perhaps they can get the CD's out or, if the unit has to be replaced, they can send them back. Hope your CD player is still under warranty.

BTW, I never put 6 CD's in my player anymore. Not sure if that makes a difference but so far so good.
  • Thanks so much for the suggestions! When I started it this morning it made some new noises it wasn't making last night but still wouldn't eject the cds unfortunately :-(. I checked with the Nissan service said it would be about $250 to send it back to Bose for repair (plus the labor to pull it out and reinstall) and that they have had to do that with quite a few units with the cd changers. Mine is no longer under warranty so I'm going to shop around. GREAT timing though - leaving on a 7 hour road trip tomorrow morn...Murphy's Law eh? Thanks again for your help!
  • I have a 2001 PF & I had one cd changer go out under warranty. They replaced it with a refurb. This one went out just out of warranty & I found a place called Factory Car Stereo Repair that specializes in Bose Factory repair. Their website is http://www.carstereohelp.com/ The dealership had quoted some unreal price for a new one. When I talked to them he finished my sentence and new what was wrong with my CD player as soon as I said I had a PF. He said they see about a dozen a week. Rather than try & figure out what is wrong with it they just replace the entire internal mechanism for a flat fee of $242 (at the time) & give a one year warranty. Don't pay labor to remove or to put a new one in. It's too easy as long as you can use a screwdriver. This website even has detailed instructions with pictures.
  • I have a question about the Bose (Clarion?) stereo in my '04 SE. It has a feature called RDS that displays the name of the station instead of the frequency (K-Rock instead of 92.3 for example) and also the name of the song and the singer for whatever song is playing at the moment. Does anyone know how to turn this off? I just want to see the numbers, not all the other info. Thanks
    bb
  • BOSE STEREO EXPERIENCES

After reading the last page of posts I thought I would relate my thoughts on this stereo.

Every morning on my drive to work my CD (six-disc)player skips for the first 20 minutes. I cannot tell you how high this raises my blood pressure - it is a 2003 Pathfinder and has been this way from day one. After the first 20 minutes or so it is fine - go figure.

That being said - I drive on fairly crappy roads on my way to work - southern california highways ok? Not the best roads in the world-very rutted and choppy in spots. But I've never had an issue with another CD player in any other car on similar roads.

It seems that the "cold" temperatures in the morning are somehow affecting the damping mechanism. (cold meaning 60 to 70 degrees F at 0630 am - I live in Palm Springs area) After work, on the way home, it works perfectly.

I shudder to think how it will be if I move to a colder climate, ie anywhere else in this country.

Anyway, my main point is this: this is a CRAPPY design by Bose, Clarion, whoever, and is a major black eye to Nissan in their perceived quality (who can possibly disagree on this forum??). This, in addition to my numerous door, dash, and steering wheel rattles, out-of-round wheel that the dealer refuses to fix under warranty, and this sub-par stereo damping mechanism make me strongly question Nissan's supposed reputation for quality.

It is a shame b/c I love the sound of the stereo and everything else about the vehicle. But excellence is in the details, and Nissan is quickly becoming the Chrysler of Japanese automakers based on a few sit-ins of their new models- just bad. Don't take my word for it-go take a look. Nissan is on the wrong "path" and it doesn't look good folks.

One more thought: like the {Philadelphia Eagles, Nissan is living on a past reputation. Sorry to all you chowderheads up there!! :) Ok that's all for me. Go Vikings!

At least I haven't had the ERR2 yet - my fingers are crossed.
  • BOSE STEREO EXPERIENCES

After reading the last page of posts I thought I would relate my thoughts on this stereo.

Every morning on my drive to work my CD (six-disc)player skips for the first 20 minutes. I cannot tell you how high this raises my blood pressure - it is a 2003 Pathfinder and has been this way from day one. After the first 20 minutes or so it is fine - go figure.

That being said - I drive on fairly crappy roads on my way to work - southern california highways ok? Not the best roads in the world-very rutted and choppy in spots. But I've never had an issue with another CD player in any other car on similar roads.

It seems that the "cold" temperatures in the morning are somehow affecting the damping mechanism. (cold meaning 60 to 70 degrees F at 0630 am - I live in Palm Springs area) After work, on the way home, it works perfectly.

I shudder to think how it will be if I move to a colder climate, ie anywhere else in this country.

Anyway, my main point is this: this is a CRAPPY design by Bose, Clarion, whoever, and is a major black eye to Nissan in their perceived quality (who can possibly disagree on this forum??). This, in addition to my numerous door, dash, and steering wheel rattles, out-of-round wheel that the dealer refuses to fix under warranty, and this sub-par stereo damping mechanism make me strongly question Nissan's supposed reputation for quality.

It is a shame b/c I love the sound of the stereo and everything else about the vehicle. But excellence is in the details, and Nissan is quickly becoming the Chrysler of Japanese automakers based on a few sit-ins of their new models- just bad. Don't take my word for it-go take a look. Nissan is on the wrong "path" and it doesn't look good folks.

One more thought: like the {Philadelphia Eagles, Nissan is living on a past reputation. Sorry to all you chowderheads up there!! :) Ok that's all for me. Go Vikings!

At least I haven't had the ERR2 yet - my fingers are crossed.
  • Hi all. I have an 04 SE and my wife has an 01 SE. I would like to swap them so I can use my Thule rack with bike trays. Wifey has the two-cross-bar roof rack and I have the sportier two-rail rack that says Pathfinder along the sides. I've checked it out and the bottom roof rails that actually attach to the body of the car are identical. It's just the top parts that are different. But here is the question. It seems easy enough to take off the rails from the 01, but the 04 has the front airdam and I don't know how to start to remove the 04 rack without damaging pieces to find the hidden screws. Has anyone done this?
    Thanks
  • I live in New England and experience the exact same problem with my Bose (6-disc) CD in my 2002 Maxima. It is always in the morning, or in the afternoon if my car has been sitting out in the cold for a while. During the cold winters, there are times it won't even clear up during my 1.5 hour drive to work! I garage my car every day and night. Very frustrating.

Because of our harsh winters, I have been looking to trade my Maxima for the Pathfinder. I've read some good reports about the car itself. I asked the salesperson if any changes had been made re: CD player and he said he's "never heard any other complaints about it before".
  • The plastic shield that covers the speedometer on my 2001 Pathfinder LE has gotten Armor All residue behind it somehow and it looks all foggy now. Does anyone have a solution short of removing the parts to clean it? Also, the outside temp feature is not working, but the direction one is. Is this some type of short and has anyone else had this come up.
    Just got it used a month ago and love it (other than the gas mileage!) Thanks for any advice!
  • Hi.I had the same problem with a car I had several years ago.The Armor All has distorted the plastic cover on the speedometer and will have to be replaced.No amount of cleaning will clear up the distortion.As far as your outside temp gauge not working, it sounds like the sensor has gone bad.It is located between the grill and radiator under the hood.
  • Thank you - at least one other person out there understands what I'm talking about. What do you think could cause this skipping? Don't most stereos use digital memory to account for shaking? When I am sitting still is is fine, or in town going less than 40 mph on smooth roads. But hit even a small bump and it skips. I don't understand it. The damping system must be very temp sensitive or just doesn't exist. I have also wondered about some kind of condensation on the lens.

Do you think I could get this replaced under warranty? I can hear them now though - It's MY fault b/c I must have been using dirty CD's, blowing sand into my CD player etc..

Also, I'd have to have them look at it before the heat comes up in the morning.
  • Greeting,
    I've owned an 04 PF SE recently and I got about 900 miles on the truck. In the last week or so, I notice a lot of road noise and the engine noise. when you accelerate slow and the transmission shift to second gear, I feel the vehicle vibrate quite a lot. Also when I drive 60 miles/hr, I hear more noise than before. Did any one have a similar problem like this? Please let me know before I take it to the dealership. Thank you.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey, getting ready to drop the transmission fluid & would like to flush it all out using the cooler lines. Does anybody know which is the return & which is the line to the cooler?
  • mikejmikej Posts: 3
    Anyone have a cure for the service engine light blues, its not the usual gas cap issue. It came on , I changed my spark plugs, which were 13 bucks each FYI All. The light is still on, runs and drives fine, just bugs me to see it on. Anyone have a fix besides paying the dealer to reset it... ???
  • mikejmikej Posts: 3
    I have a second glitch, the dash clock goes blank, some times it luminates, and then doesnt. anyone else have this problem, its a 2001 Pathfinder LE.
  • ywmuiywmui Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE, I would like to have my drive belts replaced. Does anyone know how should I proceed, or at least how to loosen the Tensioner? Thanks.