Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

1495051525355»

Comments

• rbradnerrbradner Member Posts: 1
    My dealership is telling me that my 2005 Pathfinder needs a new timing chain -- about $2,500 because, they explain, you have to tear half the car apart to do the job. They say they can hear a telltale sound suggesting that it is going to fail.

Seems like an unusual repair given that the vehicle, despite its age, only has a little over 60,000 miles on it and has received regular service at all recomended intervals. I though modern timing chains weren't supposed to be a maintenance item. The cost and extent of the repair job suggests the same.

A quick look on the internet turns up information suggesting that this is a major defect with a number of Nissans built in the latter half of the 2000s and at least one class action law suit filed suggesting Nissan tried to duck this issue with a Technical Service Bulletin to run out the clock on people's warranties. There are also people who claim mixed success in trying to get Nissan to pay for the repair or discount the repair.

So have others had this experience? Any advice on whether Nissan will pick up part or all of the tab? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,285
    Highly unlikely on an 8 year old car but at a minimum, seek a second opinion from an independent. We hear something that suggests that it my go, could be tens of thousands of miles from now.
  • stikystiky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder with about 93,000 miles on it. When it's idling in traffic (maybe 5 to 10 minutes) with the air conditioner on, the temperature guage rises towards hot and the a/c starts to blow warm air. It never overheats. As soon as I start moving the gauge immediately returns to the normal range and the a/c cools normally. I can't find any leaks and it has never actually overheated. No issues on the highway during road trips or short stop and go trips. Only after standing still and idling in traffic for 5 to 10 minutes.
  • pistol81pistol81 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2006 Pathfinder and it has started giving strange radiator temp indications. The temp rises fast on the gauge as I start to drive and sometimes it hangs around half way then drops again. When it reaches half way I hear a clicking sound (like a solenoid being energised) from the front LH side behind the dash, and then as the temp drops below half way the clicking noise comes again. The temp gauge keeps fluctuating as I drive but never goes much past half way. Also, when I get out there is a strange smell coming from the engine, like burning. So far I have had no transmission problems so don't know if it's related to the transmission/radiator fluid contamination issue?

I have not noticed any coolant leak, do you think i should get the system flushed?

Any help is much appreciated.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    You may have air in the cooling system ,have it purged out .