Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mx5manmx5man Posts: 4
    Could the purge volume control valve be located in a different spot because it doesn't look like the picture and couldn't find a valve that resembled the one in your picture. I appreciate all your help thanks.
  • I have an '04 Pathfinder LE and sometimes (usually triggered by driving over a bump or sudden acceleration/braking) I hear a fairly loud noise (it's like a sharp click) coming from the front passenger area. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but it sounds like the passenger seat is somehow binding in the track and then releasing and making the click noise. Has anyone heard of something like this? I tried greasing all the moving parts under the seat with no luck. Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts... :mad:
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Hmmm, I'm not sure where the purge volume control valve is located on the '98. (The photo is from a '97.)

On the underside of the hood there should be a sticker that shows the vacuum line routing diagram. Look for the vacuum lines for the EVAP system. (The purge volume control valve controls the amount of vacuum, ie. "air volume" applied to the EVAP system to "purge" the EVAP canister of fuel vapor.) Hopefully the vacuum line attached to the intake manifold (circled in above pic) is the same on the '98, and you'll be able to follow the diagram well enough to locate the valve.
  • recovered stolen pathfinder 92 by toms92 Nov 02, 2005 (8:07 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete | E-mail Msg
    The thief also took the ignition disconnect device. Dealership wants 800 to replace, is there a way to by pass. Everything electrical works except getting the starter to engage. The device I thought was standard, any help would be appreciated. Due to the body damage that occured while stolen, the above cost in addittion to the 978.00 paid for towing and storage,(recovered while out of town) has me searching for the most inexpensive alternative.
  • Thank you so much for your help, but they are going to take it to the dealership to make sure because the valve is over $200.00 and I want them to be sure of the problem. Thanks again.
  • sase2sase2 Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2005 Pathfinder. It was handling fine but for some reason after I put air in the tires, especially the rear ones, when I drive over a bump the back of the truck just dances all over the road. I need to find out the reason for that. Has anybody else had that problem? :confuse:
  • I have to remove the 10amp fuse to have the stop lights off
    Any ideas?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    How much air did you put in the tires? If you filled them to the "Max. pressure" indicated on the tire, that's your problem. Use the pressure on the sticker on the inside door post. You can add a few pounds to the pressures on that sticker.
  • Can anybody figure this out ??? Cracked the passenger side manifold on my 97'3.3 ltr Pathfinder. Went to a salvage yard, found one, checked the vin on the doner truck, confirmed it was also a 97' 3.3 liter. But, of course..... its not exactly the same. Mine is an early 97, don't know if the doner truck is early or late or whatever.... would that make a difference??????
  • has anyone found a source for aftermarket exhaust parts for this an 01 pathfinder, i need to replace mine without taking out a second mortgage.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • kilokilo Posts: 1
    I drive a 1994 Pathfinder. Only one headlight comes on in DaylightRunning mode. I want to have a look at the module which controls this function but I can't find it. Anybody kow where it is?
  • Someone help before I bring it in...

When accelerating there is a certain point (maybe 3k+ rpm around 20-25 mph) when there is a high buzzing sound from below the car (I think). It goes away when the rpms go down. Any ideas?
  • timh5timh5 Posts: 2
    2001 Pathfinder LE. 58,000 miles. Check engine light is on and dealership says it is a valve sensor. $390 for the repair. A buddy says they are ripping me off and the sensor is for emissions. The car is running fine. I read some other messages about going to AutoZone to get the codes, but I'm not real car savvy. Thoughts or help??
    Try the company below, who makes OBDII-compliant CA-legal aftermarket catalytic converters. Not sure if they've got '01 cats though.

I recently had both of my converters replaced to pass CA emissions on my '97 3.3L. They were totally melted. They cost only about $180 a piece (wholesale; resale lic. req'd). Work with an independent auto repair facility to install the cats; the dealer won't use aftermarket parts.

Converters West
    1669 Abram Ct
    San Leandro, CA 94577
    (510) 352-5030
    It may be true that you're getting ripped off, and yes, the sensor is for emissions. The CEL only glows when there are emissions-related problems. However, even if the truck is running fine, it's possible that the bad sensor (if that's what it is) can lead to lower fuel economy.

If you knew the code, you could determine what sensor system has the problem, and potentially determine the cost of the sensor itself. This will help you decide whether the dealer is being fair with you.
    Probably a loose exhaust shield rattling against the body or exhaust pipes.
    The high-beam filament on your headlamp is probably burned out. (DRLs light the hi-beam at a low current.) Turn the high-beams on to confirm.
    The 3.3L engines have a known problem with cracked manifolds. The manifolds are covered under a non-advertised 100,000-mile warranty. Sometimes even the studs can break.

How many miles are on your truck? The dealer will put a new one in if your truck is below 100K miles. Whatever you do, do NOT install a used manifold.

Depending on which side is cracked, the cost to put in a new one can be up to $400. The driver's side is much harder to do than the passenger side.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    If you look at the front of the engine you will see a black plastic cam angle sensor on each head. There have been a few reports on this forum about them failing self test. They cost around $180 for the part. I find $390 a little steep, as I suspect they are rather easy to replace, unless they are doing both. If both then most of that cost is in the parts.
  • timh5timh5 Posts: 2
    XplorX4/Pathstar:

Thanks a bunch!! I picked up the car before they did anything. I'll call the dealer and ask for the diagnostic code.
  • spot2spot2 Posts: 15
    Yeah the daytime running light module is located on the passenger fender directly behind the battery.
    I have discovered that I am not getting any power to the "accessory 2" section of my fuse block. This includes, rear window wiper, blower motor, rear glass release, air con.Wondering if the power runs through a relay before it goes to this section of the fuse block or could it be a fuseable link? Or am I totally off base?Any help is appreciated thanks.
  • I have a 1993 Pathfinder SE w/ 115K on it. Approx one year ago had the starter replaced....doing great for this last year..quick/clean starts ! Yet, recently it seemed that the battery was getting weak...i.e if I left the rear hatch open ( with dog waiting to go for a ride in his kennel )....the light being on would drain the battery down. OK..replaced the battery...making sure the connections at the terminals were solid tight. The car started right up, and all of the dash displays were spot on. Four hours later I went to start the vehicle ...DEAD !
    Hmmm, tried to charge the battery w/ my charger..nothing...
    No dash warning lights, no fan...yet, head lights and power windows work fine ! What problem do I have here ??
    Is it a wiring harness issue that failed because of the NEW battery and was on the verge of going ( increased resistance )?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Thanks !

Note: For those in the market for TIRES...the Michelin LTX M/S are awesome...1st set lasted about 80K and great in snow ! -Eric
    I have a '92 Se with the exact same problem. Seems to be the entire "accesory 2" section of the fuse block has no power to it.Wondering if you got any solutions to this?
    I've had the same problem and found it to be electrical. Check your relays and the connection on your coil. Not saying you are suffering from the same thing but it sounds like the same symptoms.
  • I have a 1995 pathfinder that just stopped going in reverse suddenly????
    Obviously transmission but where?
    electrical?
    mechanical?

Where do I begin?
    Also where should I start looking for a used Pathfinder transmission???
  • I have had the same problem I also have starter grind as well when I turn the key. My battery was old so I replaced it with a Dura- something from AutoZone all I know its like 1000 CCA and it worked fine for a month and now it starts good but I can never be sure when it will die again, I have 99 and its not a very dependable car. I have searched all over the internet there are alot of posts with people with the same problem but no answers, I have actually been able to jump it by removing the fuse cover and getting alittle spark by putting the jumper cable on the battery to the terminal on the fuse box and it will start right up so I know its not the battery I checked the lead from the battery to the alternator and that was corroded so cleaned it my starter sounds really bad on start up on some days and other days its fine. Please post back with any results or ideas
  • elbianelbian Posts: 10
    I just had my 91 PF rear frame rails repaired by an expert frame repair guy in my neck of the woods, which is SW Pennsylvania. Mine would not have passed inspection either but now it is fine. Had some big holes in the perimeter frame that surrounds the gas tank. Most shops are afraid of the potential for fire from welding so close to the fuel tank, and dropping the tank is cost prohibitive for them. If you have no fuel leaks near where the welding is required it quite possibly could be repaired. How bad are the rust holes in your 95 PF frame and where are they located? It may be a wise choice to fix them if the truck is otherwise in good shape and if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing. This guy that I found has done over 40 PF frames so he is quite the expert. I wouldn't give up on your PF just yet.
  • I have a 1996 PF 4wd 3.3l and just put it into 4wd to get it ready for the winter. Turns out that in a slow turn the engine loses power and tries to stall. Works fine in 2wd! What gives??

HELP!! :sick:
  • gil20gil20 Posts: 13
    Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the wood trim on LE models (2003 specifically)? I removed it from an old SE and it worked great because it came from the factory without it. But LE's come from the factory with it, so I wonder if it's even possible. Anyone? Thanks! :D