Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wbaywbay Posts: 34
    Has anyone with an '05 Pathfinder considered the difference in off road capability with the addition of fully independent suspension? I'm considering going to a PF, but am a little leary of the new suspension configuration.

Thanks
  • Thanks much, but I'm in CT. It's looking like a body shop's the way to go, can't get a read on these paintless operations and don't want to waste the money if I'm going to end up at a body shop anyway.
  • brianabriana Posts: 24
    Just got an 05 Pathfinder last night after 2 1/2 hellish years with an 02 Maxima. Swore I'd never get another Nissan b/c I think Nissan's quality control has taken a turn for the worse and their service department is horrendous.

Unable to resist the looks and price of the Pathfinder, I pull off the lot with my loaded LE and the VSC and SLIP buttons come on on the dash. I think nothing of it and figure I need to read the owner's manual. Get home, check it out, and there is a reset feature. Try the reset about 5 times and it doesn't work. Try getting this taken care of since 10 am and they finally say I can come in at 4:30. An hour and a half later they can't fix it and need to hold it till tomorrow. So now my brand new, less than 24 hour old truck is in the shop and I'm driving a Sentra.

I brought it on myself for getting another Nissan, should have known better.
  • andy8andy8 Posts: 2
    My 05 Pathfinder transmission went after 10 days and six hundard miles. Is anyone else having a problem with the 05 Pathfinder transmission.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Sounds like the new Pathfinder has a few bugs in it. I know somebody has to be the guinea pig, but I've always been told, never buy a new model in it's first year. Thats when all the bugs get worked out of it.
  • wbaywbay Posts: 34
    Ditto. The more I look into the 05 PF, the less appealing it becomes. Sounds like Nissan has lots of things to work out.

Maybe next year.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Yep, I like the old ones better anyway. If you "gotta have" that third row seat, then head for a 4Runner, or one of the Domestics. Maybe even an XL7 if you adjust yourself accordingly ;).
  • gc1975gc1975 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE. I had to have the windshield replaced due to a crack. The technician called me into the shop and showed me that the factory windshield was installed missing a 6 inch strip of mastic/ caulking across the bottom in the center of the windshield. Also a 3/4 inch was missing in front of the driver position. The foam rubber linning in front of the dash was wet. I haven't noticed any water inside, but my Navigation system reception is intermittent and now non existent. The right side of the instrument pannel lights working intermittenly. Moisture related???

Good luck!
  • Wanted to know if anyoneis familiar with this...I have a '00 PF SE, within the last 4-5 months the gas pedal periodically would stick and I would have to apply extra pressure to pedal to press it down. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • winxsdwinxsd Posts: 3
    I just dealt with a sticky gas pedal on my '99 Path SE. To fix this, I removed the air intake hose from the throttle body to allow me to get at the throttle. At this point I just sprayed the inside of the throttle with throttle body cleaner from Autozone (~$3)while openeing and closing the throttle. I put a rag under the opening to the throttle to catch all the gunk that came out. I also used a clean rag that was soaked in throttle body cleaner and carefully wiped the inside of the throttle a little. It has been a few weeks now and no more stick!!

winxsd
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Can somebody with a 2001 PF please look at their heated seat switches at night & tell me if the switches are lighted. I know the orange light comes on when you turn on the switch, but one day I noticed the switches aren't lighted like most of the other switches & can't remember if they ever were before. Thanks...
  • Mine are not (2001 LE). They only light when activated.
  • ljt190ljt190 Posts: 3
    I have an 01 SE and about a year ago the flow direction know became impeded so that you can turn it to the settings at either end of the knob. So I can't have vent's only, or whatever defrost is at the far right end. It seems like something may be stuck in trying to close one of the vents so that it will not close completely. THe know will go half-way toward that setting and bounce back a little. Dealer says will have to rip dash apart to get to it, and has never seen before. Anyone else having this problem?
  • ljt190ljt190 Posts: 3
    Have had the dreaded shimmy on and off since purchase 4.5 years ago. Current tires are Goodyear Fortera (replaced Toyo OE crap at 27k). I have had tires balanced 8-10 times and sometimes it gets better (for a while) and sometimes, despite asusrances of a good balance, the shimmy gets worse. Is it a defect in the rims that is the primary cause here, or something in the steering/suspension? I am considering getting rid of an otherwise great vehicle because I can't stand this. It is murder on a long trip. Not sure if they are using a hunter balancer, but I will ask. I've never had a problem like this with any other vehicle. Thanks,
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    My prayers have been answered. Thanks Smokey75!! Most TSBs are posted with factory detail instructions.

Great to use as leverage if within warranty period at Nissan Service or for the DIY-er who is out of warranty like me.

It validated my suspicion that the ECM O2 sensor parameter was too narrow and causes the SES light to come on when really there isn't a problem with the O2 sensor.

01 LE 54K miles
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    What year is your pathy?

Try looking into TSBs for that year in the site Smokey mentioned. WWW.nissanhelp.com

I have an 01 LE with Fortera HLs(255/70/16)with factory rims. I do not have that problem.

Good luck!
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    We had this problem with our 98 PF and 02 Sentra. Minor problem, but kind of annoying. Dealer cleaned the throttle cable(probably the same thing winxsd mentioned) and then it was fine. Both were under warranty so I don't know what the cost would have been.
  • 05se05se Posts: 4
    Hello....I'm a first time user of this board, as well as a first time owner of a Pathfinder (2005 SE Off Road, Storm Gray). I've owned this vehicle since 12-15-04, and have enjoyed it since. I have about 2600 miles on it already.....job is 44 miles round trip, plus I moved, so I've been driving back and forth moving stuff to my new place.

Anyways to make a long story short, I've been hearing a rattling noise from my truck as it shifts from 1st to 2nd while accelerating. This occurs between 2000 & 3000 RPM. I've noticed this since day one (driving home from dealership), but didn't make much of it, thinking the noise will dissapear at some point. It hasn't, and I took it to service last week. I was told the problem was caused by the center differential plate. So the tech resecured it, but it still makes the same noise.

I brought it back a day later, left the truck at

service, and got a loaner for the day. The manager calls me at work, and tells me that they can't find anything wrong, and that his boss' 05 SE Pathfinder is making the same noise. Every imaginable test had been done to diagnose this problem, but they made it seem to me that this is normal.

My question to anyone who's listening out there is, can this be true? Is anyone else with a Pathfinder, regardless of year, having this issue?

I think it's BS that the problem can't be fixed.

Certainly, there has to be a solution to this. Can anyone help a brotha out?

Thank you guys in advance

D.R.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    I have a 2001 LE, no problems you've described. If you have the time, test drive another 05 Pathfinder with a service tech. If the same symtoms appear, may be you're on to something. Me thinks, your Nissan dealer is giving you... as you said "BS" .
  • I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE and this weekend the open door light came on after driving to the store and the vehicle sat outside for 10 min. All the doors and tailgate are closed, but the light stays on, the power locks will not lock when the key is in the ignition and the dome lights stay on? If anybody has some clue on what might be the cause of this and a possible solution to fix this problem. It was about 4 deg F yesterday outside. The vehicle is kept in the garage normally.

Figures, the 3yr/36000 warranty is now expired (have 38K).