Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Interesting comparison. The structural differences don't really mean a hill of beans difference as long as it filters the oil. The corrogated inner tube is a great example - if your filter has never collapsed in on itself, why would this be of any benefit? The other side of this discussion would be that the Nissan design was deficient and the only way they could get it to work was to corrogate it. They obviously didn't just do it for free, since it adds to the cost, and they must have done it for a reason.
    What is important is how well the filter cleans dirt, not how it is built.
    In any event, regular changes and the filter is probably not too much of an issue.
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    I beg to differ on structural differences.

Many tests have shown that cheap paper filters work okay in single pass tests, but quickly by-pass after that. This means Fram would work in by-pass mode most of it's service life.

I usually opt for filters that use dacron or some other type of filter media (instead of paper). Their service life is longer and they actually "pass" the multi-pass filtration tests.

For more information about materials of construction check out

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

I generally use the Amsoil Filters (~$10 each), but I use synthetic and change my oil about every 7500 miles per Nissan schedule. There are other "good" filters out there for those that don't want to spend the $$.

When I said structural, I clearly was talking about surrounding components, not the filter media. Further through my post I make mention of the actual filtering ability of the media, which is basically the point you made (or re-made as the case may be)
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    jeckles,

that link is coming up dead.

aren't OEM filters paper-based? why would nissan spec a filter that works in bypass mode most of the time - that doesn't make any sense to me.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    That link is dead because the author was threatened with legal action. He didn't say who did the threatening (I suspect Fram).
    Any other studies out there? If this is such a huge issue, how come the SAE has published anything on it - or have they?
  • the_whistlerthe_whistler Member Posts: 2
    I just got a new Pathfinder SE a week ago and have found that the mileage I have been getting so far (about 10 MPG), is way under what they advertise (15/18). Does anyone know if there is some kind of break-in period for the effeciency or would this indicate some other problem?
    Well my rotors were turned at about 12025 miles and worked fine for a few weeks. Now with about 300 miles on the new surface, the began to warp again (though not drastic yet).

Nissan Dealer swore brakes were okay and back drums were carrying their fair share of the load. I was still suspicious...

I always hand torque my lug nuts so lug nut torque shouldn't be a major issue...

As an emergency measure, I pressure bled the brakes yesterday and found some air in the lines. Although it is somewhat subjective I think it has improved my braking and pedal firmness.

With any luck this will slow the warpage. If it does not, than Nissan should prepare for my wrath...

PS: For anyone in Nashville here is my dealer assessment.
    Hippodrome Nissan - Good Sales, Mediocre service
    Hayes Nissan - Poor Sales, Horrible Service
    Performance Nissan - Friendly Sales, No Service Data
  • redpath94redpath94 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a '94 4WD XE Path, with 255500 miles on it.It will not go into reverse ,but will work normally forward when put into drive.
    Took it to a local Nissan dealership, and the service manager told me there is something wrong with the transmission.
    Is there a way that the problem could be less severe than a transmission problem? Is this common with Pathfinders to have this kind of problem. Any input is highly appreciated.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    255500 miles on an auto trans is not bad! How often or did the oil get changed. Reverse has the highest oil pressure about 250 psi it could be an o-ring or a sticky valve in the valve body. My '94 explorer trans lasted 7000 miles before it failed.
    If you're talking about the transmission oil, I believe it was changed the last time about 2 months ago. For the whole time that I had it, I think I only had the oil changed 3x. Yeah something like that.
    So if it's just an o-ring or a sticky valve body, I assumed it's not gonna be costly to have it fixed?
    BTW, thanks for the input.
    Couple of days ago I posted my auto transmission problem, specifically, unable to use the reverse of my 94 Path 2WD gear. My transmission is now working okay. I can now use the reverse gear to back up my vehicle. I put the " Slick 50 High Mileage transmission treatment" on it two days ago. I don't know if it was the treatmnet that corrected the problem or what. Maybe somebody out there had the same experience using the Slick 50 trans tx? Or there could be some other explanation for this?
    I said"my 94 Path 2 WD" It should say 94 Path 4WD.
  • smokinpf1smokinpf1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone. I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE with approximately 2500 miles. Twice I have noticed a puff of smoke (bluish) coming out of the exhaust upon starting the vehicle first thing in the morning. Definitely, it is not the white smoke from condensation. On the two occassions it happened, the vehicle had not been driven for at least two days. The engine runs fine otherwise and I am getting 17 mpg on the average. I did check the engine oil and it was a little overfilled. I am bringing it to the dealer to have it checked out but would appreciate any comments or recommendations.
    Sounds like your engine seals haven't seated all the way yet. Oil consumption, unusual smells, etc are all part of the break in process.

It's good to get the Dealer's perspective, but I doubt anything is wrong with your engine.

Good Luck and let the list know if they find anything...
  • meadowbreezemeadowbreeze Member Posts: 3
    If you think you have had a condition of squealing brakes on your pathfinder but can't seem to remedy it look again.It could very well be the infamous baffle plate squeal. they are the plates located behind your front rotors that the inner hub surface of the rotor rides in.It contains a large integrated lip seal that provides a moisture barrier for the anti-lock pawl assy.over time they accumulate brake dust and debris and squeal like a pig.service bulliten on this part.dealer carries a redesigned replacement for about 35 dllars apiece.cheaper than a mis-diagnosed brake pad replacement.I know of several people including myself who have had brakes replaced prematurely trying to aleviatethis squealing condition.If it's brake squeal you should be able to detect change when brakes are intermentently applied. If not, it is more than likely these baffle plates.
    has anyone out there had there drivetrain components and or transmission changed out in regard to a tsb that was issued adressing this problem primarily on 2wd model automatics.mine is a 1997 with 47,500 miles.vehicle shifts very smoothly and everything else is operating just fine.the only issue is that is has a slight to moderate rear end clunk when coming to a complete stop or just off stop when releasing brake.i've heard a few other posts on this problem before but, have never heard a follow up as to whether the component changeouts were successful in remedying the clunk.mine is scheduled for next week to be done at no cost to me at dealership.would like to hear back from anyone who has either had this done or knows of one ,as to the outcome of the work.would appreciate any feedback.thanks...
    Would be helpful if everyone used the proper categories for topics.Main posting site has conglomeration of everything from problems and solutions to hello my name is so and so.I realize site can't be monitored at all times but maybe an occasional redirect on postings could be helpful.The sites all seem very clear as to which one to post on,depending on what message is.Hopefully it won't have to come down to an entry level intelligence prerequisite.That was a joke.
  • btdrinks1btdrinks1 Member Posts: 3
    I've just put 50K on my PF 01. The dealer just called me and asked if I would be willing to have my catalyst replaced. I took it in and had it replaced. I wonder what nissan wants with my catalyst.....any ideas?
  • btdrinks1btdrinks1 Member Posts: 3
    I've had vibration problems myself. Dealer said the same thing about all PF's have this problem. Mechanic said " wheel balance problem". Got the alignment done and the problem went away temporarily. I now get slight vibe when riding on some parts of the highway. I think it may be road imperfections. Also, the biggest thing now is steering shake when slowing down from 70mph. It is something awful.
    bt,

if you only get the shaking when slowing down at highway speeds, it is most likely warped rotors - something that has plagued my PF as well.
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    What is lowest temperature you can set the ATC at? Mine ('01 LE) won't go below 65 degrees F. I seem to remember it going below that before. Am I right? Thanks!
    My ATC won't go below 65 either. At 65, it just seems to go into max cool mode.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I remember reading somewhere about this problem with other owners. The Auto seat positioner is suppose to move the driver seat all the way back when you remove the ignition key so you have more room to get out. Then return to the previous position when you re-insert the key. After a few weeks the function is not working and I know there is some sort of adjusment that can be done to reset the system. The switch is in the Auto on position and it worked for awhile then stop, then worked, then stop again.

Does anyone where the information on this is? Or how to fix it?
  • rendraggrendragg Member Posts: 3
    My wife went shopping in the Path, went inside a store and left the lights on (original, borderline battery). She came back out, tried to start the car and the alarm system fired and I'm still unable to reset it. Had to have the car towed to my house. Replaced battery with new, entered auto numerous times with key, set off alarm. Tried dealer reset of two turns of key (driver's side) in lock to the right, one turn to left. Nothing works. Am desperate, almost ready to tow vehicle to dealer
    Why not just call the dealer and ask? They may take it easy on you and give you a quick simple fix over the phone.
  • rendraggrendragg Member Posts: 3
  • ghorn1ghorn1 Member Posts: 2
    It seems that my front combo and side marker is not working,the rear left blinker is going 2x as fast as normal, any ideas? Also I had my Timing belt done at 116,000 on my '91 PF, now I have a whine that comes in at 3000 rpm and increases with sound... anyone know what it might be or what I can check? Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried replacing the bulbs?
  • ghorn1ghorn1 Member Posts: 2
    Well I haveto say that I feel like a big D.A. I did not think that the PF would run the blinkers and side markers in series, so it was the actual blinker... thing is I just replaced those a month ago.. another fault I suppose.

Thanks for the post brian60.

Gabe
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    02 with oem hitch. both bars i use are sloppy loose and clunk with 2 different trailers. both bars didn't do this on my 4runner. anyone else with problem or a solution?
  • jont37jont37 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 PF SE has started to sway side to side after about 70mph. Any ideas why? I've replaced the rear shox and am in the process of replacing the struts. Is there something else that could contribute? Please help.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I got this info from another source...e-mail at smithmdsmith@yahoo.com for more details:

At about 40,000 miles my 96 PF started to rock from side to side when I backed off the throttle, especially when descending a hill. I could stop it by accelerating or by applying the brakes. As it got worse I tried replacing the shocks, replacing the struts, checking the tire pressure and sizes…nothing worked.
    Well, I finally figured out what was wrong and fixed it!. The problem was the bushings on the rear control arms. I replaced the 4 bushings on the upper control arms and that made it better, but did not solve the problem. When I removed the bushings on the lower control arms, the problem was clear. They were shot! After I replaced the 4 lower control arm bushings, the problem went away.
    Removing the control arms is not too difficult, but removing and replacing the bushings is beyond the ability of most "garage mechanics." You will need to have a machine shop "press" the new bushings in. You may need their help to "press" the old bushings out as well. My local machine shop pressed the new bushings into place in 30 minutes and charged me $27. The bushings cost $11.42 each at my Nissan dealer.
  • mdj3mdj3 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 01 PATHY SE WITH AN OEM HITCH THAT WAS SLOPPY AS WELL, JUST TOOK SOME ELEC TAPE AND WRAPPED AROUND THE RECIEVER END, LASTS FOR SEVERAL TOWS, TO STOP THE CLUNKING.
    i used duct tape on trip from fl. to pa. a poor solution for a 35k vehicle. going back to nissan dealer maybe they have a better solution.
    The world of recievers is hardly what you would call a high tolerance arena. Bet you'd be more mad if you went to hook something up and it didn't fit! There are a few companies that make adapters with set screws in them to firmly lock the tongue to the tube. I think I have seen them at performanceproducts.com, and I'm sure JC Whitney has them since they have knock offs of everything.
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder LE that just turned 2,7xx miles and the check engine light just came on. runs fine, all oil and levels have been checked fine. The common one of gascap not being on isn't it either.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Bryan
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Visit the dealer under warranty coverage. Bumper-to-bumper still applies.
  • kingkapkingkap Member Posts: 9
    trust me, it's the gas cap! I have an '02 pathy...and the light came on a few times. Even though it appears that the gas cap is on secure, if the slightest bit of air is getting inside, it may cause the engine light to come on from time to time. I had mine checked out at the dealer and sure enough the cord which holds the cap on was wrapped around the inside of the cap, even though the cap was on tight and secure. It caused air to escape from the fuel tank and, hence, the engine light came on. I asked the dealer if it would be ok to just cut the cord which holds the cap on, and he said sure. I haven't seen the engine light come on since. Just make sure you don't lose the gas cap! Kind of stupid that an engine light comes on for the gas cap, because it sure scared me since the pathy is brand new. Dealer said it's common, especially on the Xterra. You would think they would do something about it.
  • rmv2002rmv2002 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I recently changed tires on my Pathfinder 99.5 at 58000 miles.I originally had Bridgestone Dueller tires on it. I now replaced them with Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV 255/65 R16 tires.The tire dealer says they balanced & aligned the tires.
    But now I am experiencing steering wheel vibration
    at highway speeds(60mph and above).
    Any suggestions, any advice?
    Thanks,
    RMV
  • kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    I need help with fog light relay wire diagram. There is 16 gauge orange wire coming out from fog light relay and I accidently cut that wire. That wire was hot wire before I cut it, but now after reattached it with wire tap (I make sure it was connected properly), power doesn't flow anymore. Finally I reconnected cut wire coming out from fog light relay box to hot wire from tail lamp, which is right next to that relay box. Question: Will it do any damage to the relay box since wire size is different? and does any body know what happened to the hot orange wire?

-jc
    Search for the shop who has Hunter 9700 balancing machine and ask them to do road force balance. It will solve your problem. After you do your balancing, just rotate your tires and make sure don't let anyone balance your tires unless they have Hunter 9700 (road force balancing only.) It is little expensive, but it is worth it.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    You can find the closest shop with the GSP9700 by going to www.gsp9700.com and clicking on the big graphic in the middle of the front page.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Thanks for that link! I have a dealer right across from my office. Taking our '01 LE in on Friday to have it balanced. I've had it balanced a few times with nominal results. It was always covered under warranty so I'm hoping it will this time too!
    Dano
    Last night I had troubled with cutting 16 gauge orange wire, but it was only burned out fuse. After replacing fuse, it works as normal. Finally finished re-wireing fog lihgt, so it will come on when parking light is on. Also light will stay on after turning high beams on. It is only 5 minute job. Only tools you need is wire cutter screw driver and 1 wire tap. If any one need instruction, just e-mail me (kzc2@yahoo.com).

-jc
    took 02 le with 5k mi for minor adjustments. said i saw small leak on floor. told them to check shocks on rear. after waiting 5 days finally called them. told me a small leak on 1 rear shock, but will have to change both and are waiting for them. guess they haven't heard about overnight delivery. also worried about 2500# mc trailer i pull to fla every year?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    When the A/C is on I can hear a rattle/vibrating noise coming from the center air vents or it seems. It appears to have been gotten a little louder the last few months. I have a 2001 LE with 8k and use the A/C all the time...live in Palm Springs. Other than this little annoyance, this truck is superior to my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has anyone else experienced these symtoms regarding this noise from the vents?
  • ricks2ricks2 Member Posts: 17
    The antenna on my '97 LE is stuck in the "down" position. When turning the radio on/off I don't hear the motor at all, so I assume that its busted. Even though I have the secondary antenna integrated in the windshield, reception is still iffy. Is there a way to manually raise the antenna and leave it in the "up" position?
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    thanks for all the advice. It did end up being the cap. I have heard of this before on other vehicles so I did check this before calling the dealer. I took it off, and thought I made sure it was on tight again. Oh well, atleast it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions. PF performed flawlessly on the trip from Seattle to Sacramento and back. Getting almost 20mpg on the hwy too.

Bryan