Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My 05 LE has failed to start 6 times now over a 3 month period. I get power to all electronics. Nothing from engine or starter, quiet. After anywhere from 3-5 minutes of trying to start it will all of a sudden start. The challenge is that this is not constant and nothing is registered that can be found by the dealership in the codes. I even brought them in video to prove this was occurring after the last time (yesterday). They guess it is either a relay (which they have ordered a replacement) or one of the mother boards (the main or transmission). I am not super technical but that was what they told me. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? This is my first Nissan....so much for reliability :lemon:
  • theburdstheburds Posts: 5
    And this definitely isn't the intake manifold problem everyone has been writing about? If your car was produced after 1/7 it is not the intake manifold.
  • malziemalzie Posts: 1
    I just had a mechanic replace the seals and belts on my '94 Pathfinder yesterday. She's always been chipper, even when she's cold. After he did the work yesterday, she's sluggish as heck, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. I looked at her engine while she was running, and one of the belts has a little leeway, but I don't think it's was causing her to be sluggish suddenly. Any idea's?
  • iamknarfiamknarf Posts: 1
    When cruising between 60-70 mph my 2001 LE (70,000 miles) on a slight uphill grade (not enuf to kick-down the transmission) the engine seems to missfire or skip. Sometimes more severe than others but a very discernable momentary loss of power. No skip once the engine/tranny kicks down and acceleration is smooth. Been to 2 dealers..no codes on EMC..dealers both say nothing wrong. one dealer's service mech got in the car with me so i could demonstrate the skip. he felt it, used a portable anaylzer and still could not diagnose. Dealer wants to change the engine air flow meter at a cost of over $500.00!! this without any guarantee that the problem will be solved. Mechanic said dump some Dextron fuel injector cleaner and use high octance gas..Did this 400 miles ago and problem is still there..Any one have similar problem? Seems like it's a fuel delivery problem but again nothing on engine analyzer date..Stumped... :cry:
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Spark plugs? If they are still the originals they should be worn out.
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    Spark plugs are Maintainence scheduled to be replaced at 105,000 miles. It doesn't mean that they do not need to be replaced though. I would check and replace the fuel filter and air filter. Fuel Filter is located just in front of the spare tire above the rear differential.
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    I have noticed a noise on mine also. Seems to be at around 15 mph. I always thought it was 'normal' until I read your post. I'm not sure if I'd consider it a 'twang'...I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I only seem notice it after I start it up and accelerate. If I'm driving and come to a stop, then accelerate I don't notice it. My first oil change isn't for a couple months yet, so please post any information you hear on this. Thanks.
  • timtay3timtay3 Posts: 1
    I bought a '94 Pathfinder LE at an auction yesterday. Got it cheap, assumed there would likely be some problems. Discovered shortly after that all I have is low gear (auto trans), and reverse. It will not upshift to 2nd gear or above. The tranny fluid level is good, doesn't appear to be burnt. no unusual tranny noise when driving. I checked the linkage, there is a small rod that goes forward from the shift mechanism that has a broken plastic connector. I'm not sure what this is or if it could be part of the problem. I talked to a trans shop, they though it may be a problem with the vehicle speed sensor, even though the speedo seems to work fine. Nissan dealer said something about a "rotation sensor?". Haynes and Chilton are pretty vague about trouble shooting any auto trans problems. Wondered if any one out there had run into or heard about this and had any suggestions before I commit to the big $ at a tranny shop.

Thanks for any help

Timtay
  • dexalldexall Posts: 1
    If the "Twang" you hear is coming from the front left side just before upshift from 1st to 2nd after start up, it almost sounds like the VDC kicking in as an automatic diagnostic process. I have driven my pathy in snow in multiple modes, living in New England. When a wheel slips the VDC kicks an and applies the brakes to the slipping wheel, you hear the same sound (granted for a more extended period of time until the vehicle regains grip on the slipping wheel).

I also have thought of this 1st-to-2nd "twang" or clicking sound as normal until reading this thread. I will inquire at my next checkup (not for quite some time) and am anxious to see if anyone comes up with a diagnosis prior to my checkup.
    That's where it sounds like it's coming from - the front left side. It seems like if there was actually a problem that it would make that sound at every 1-2 shift. But like I said, the noise I hear only happens once after startup which would lead me to believe it's something like dexall was referring to. We'll wait and see if anyone finds out anything different.
  • zama1983zama1983 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2005 XE Pathy. I bought it on February 12, 2005 and suddenly on April 12, 2005 problems started. Right now the unit is at the dealership. They are trying to figure out what is wrong with the unit. First, the said that there were problems with the car keys. They reset the microchip to no avail. They contact the manufacturer to let them know the situation. Nothing knew from Nissan.
    If they can't fix the problem by May 12, 2005, they have to susbstitute the unit with a new one. Those are the terms estableshed by the local "lemon law". This time, I will try to get a unit builded after 01/11/2005. I have heard so many horror stories about units build before this date. Keep me posted.
    PD: ASAP, get info. about the "lemon law" in your state!!!!
  • rs4rs4 Posts: 25
    I have experienced similar noises coming from the rear driver side door. I brought this up at my first service, I was told it could be the seat belts rattling. Later I Locked all the seat belts still experienced the same rubbing sound coming from that door. I'm going to it checked soon
  • rs4rs4 Posts: 25
    I'm having problems with the setup. There is an option for Automatic car locking, even if the option never is chosen the car still locks up. Also for the other options such as horn during lock or unlock , blink lights during lock and unlock does not seem to be working.

Any one else has experiences these issues
  • alexkalexk Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2002 and the SES light came up. I took it to the dealership and they first changed a vaccum emission sensor that took the
    SES light to off for a day and then came back up again. Then they changed
    the ECM that kept the light off for 1.5 days and now it is back on. I got tired
    and got an actron scanner to read the code and it reported OBDII P1130 code
    saying "Oxygen Sensor Fuel Trim at Limit *codes* A U" Now what should I do??
    Is this dangerous? Help..................
    Vehicles of other manufacturers with the equivalent of VDC don't appear to make this sound. I can't believe that Nissan, with the latest technology at their disposal, would design a vehicle such that this noise is normal. I am taking mine in on Wednesday for a couple of other minor issues and I'll bring up the "twang". I'll post the outcome.
    The Mazda RX-8 makes a "clunk" from time to time while "calibrating" the stability system. Usually only once per run.
    I took my '05 in for a couple of things earlier this week and mentioned the 1st to 2nd twang. The technician did not know what it was and tried another vehicle on the lot. Same thing. He said it must be normal. I then went back to owner's manual and sure enough, on page 5-28, it describes the ABS self test which may produce a "clunk". Sorry to have caused undue concern to anyone. After a couple of growing pains, I am back to loving my Pathy!
    Thanks for the update!
  • Just got my 2005 Pathfinder SE back from its' 3000 mile service. Dealer did a great job and truck was done in one day as promised. Here are the issues that were addressed (in addition to a routine oil change): 1) The intake manifold was replaced due to the rattling noise with acceleration (more like fluttering) that was reported in the nissan TSB. The car was checked, noise was confirmed and part was replaced. Nice smooth, quiet acceleration now. As a side note, my truck was built in 01/05. 2) A rattling noise emanating from the dash at idle was traced to an A/C line in contact with the dash/firewall. Problem solved - nice quiet idle now. 3) Creaking drivers side window when about 1/2-1/4 of the way down. Traced to ?insulation? in contact with window. Still an occasional creak, but much, much better. Overall I have been very happy with the truck and it rides even better now that the day we picked it up. One minor issue we still have is that the brakes still squeak loudly when they are wet or when you put the truck in reverse. Will wait and see if this improves.
    The manual may be correct, but in my experience ABS alone doesn't do that. You have to also have DSC or TCS (dynamic stability control, or traction control system). Those systems require calibration, hence the noise when they "test" the braking force input sensitivity. My 2001 LE has ABS, but not TCS, and doesn't make the noise. Note that when the "auto" 4WD mode is selected it does "lurch" when the engine is shut off or after about 10 sec. of idling in park. This is the auto 4WD front drive clutch disengaging.

What DSC or TCS does is a little scary. When the computer senses an "unsafe condition" (you are going too fast around a corner, for example, and start to slide - so little that you actually don't notice yet), it applies individual wheel brakes to correct the situation. This is what it has to calibrate - how much brake force does it take to skid a wheel.

You might wonder just how much good this type of system can do, but we have seen several cases where big accidents were avoided due to the systems. In one case, a head-on collision was avoided, and in doing so the driver would have normally spun off the road and flipped in the ditch. The DSC allowed him to recover and swerve back into his own lane after he avoided the head-on! Very impressive! He and his wife are very happy with the car (this was in an RX-8). It may have saved their lives! A SUV like ours will benefit even more from this system.