Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Rewire the whole truck because of a misfire code? That sounds pretty far fetched. Does this mechanic work for a Nissan dealer? Sounds like he's baiting you. Did you see the report he referenced?
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    pdog,

I wish I had the answer. So you don't feel alone, I also have the same problem with my '03 LE (3.5L), probably a bit worse. I'm not driving it hard, and I'll only get about 15 at best with pure highway driving, 10-12 with mixed driving. Pretty frustrating. The stealer is no help with this one either.
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    I have an '03 LE with about 33K on it. Recently, the starter began to crank real slow, indicating a weak battery. It got really cold here in the northeast, but I never had this problem before. As you can guess by the mileage, I don't drive it everyday, and it sometimes sits for a week at a time in my driveway. At the same time, my slip, stability control and brake lights began to stay illuminated, making me think this is an (expensive) electical problem rather than a battery whose life has withered away. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the culprit here. I don't want to go to the stealer who will probably charge me for a diagnosis and a new computer to be installed, only to find out it was something completely different causing the problems. Thanks in advance.
  • What is the recommended mileage for replacing the timing chain on a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with a 3.5 V6?

Thanks,

Tom
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Take a voltmeter and measure the battery voltage without a load tester. Best done after the vehicle has been sitting awhile (overnight at least). You should see at least 12 VDC. If you see 10-11 V you have a dead cell and need a new battery. Measure the battery voltage when you are starting the vehicle. It shouldn't drop below 11 V. If it does, and you were measuring at the battery posts (not after the cable connection), then you need a new battery.

Leaving the vehicle sitting will drain the battery slowly and can be hard on it if you don't take it for a long drive once a week (an hour or more).

My 2001 has removable caps on the battery, and I've been able to top up the fluid with distilled water. If the fluid gets down, the battery looses power. If you can top it up, try that before replacing it. You need to charge it up properly after topping it up - again, a one hour or longer drive will do that.

With the engine running, you should see between 13 and 14 V at the battery, nominally 13.8 or so. When it's cold it should increase to 14 or so. If you see these voltages, your charging system is ok.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    It's supposed to last "the life of the engine". I haven't seen a replacement interval in the shop manual.
  • That's what I was hoping for.
  • Opening another window does not help, it gets louder. Nissan should be made aware of this problem. They should install wind deflectors on the rear windows and the fronts. I have a 2006 Pathfinder and this problem is a pain in the #@%&*! How can we get this Problem sent to Nissan. Anyone know? :mad:
  • I have the same problem. It sounds like there is a helicopter flying into my car and my ear drums pop!. The dealership told me to crack my front window slightly so the air circulates. :mad: I am going to take this up further a will update you on monday the 11th of feb
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    This is very common, it's called buffetting. The way to fix this is to crack the front and rear windows about 1" and it should clear it up.

-mike
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,860
    The weather must be getting warmer in some parts and people are lowering their windows - this is the second helicopter thread in the last day or so. It's a common issue with many new cars:

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 9:19 pm

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

That's funny I just saw your other post!

-mike
  • I have the same problem with a 2001 LE, and have removed 2 fuses under the left dash to stop fans, but of course have no AC or heat. Did you ever get an answer?? Possibly a relay? Mike (BMWRIDER1)
    You have a bad fan relay it would seem.

-mike
  • yes you read that right, when i hit the left directional it makes the transmission downshift. i've never heard of this happening to anyone on any car but here it is happening to me. whether moving out into the left lane or stopping at a light, as soon as the directional is triggered, the transmission downshifts. i have done several experiments and there is no doubt the issue is happening the way i say. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks.
  • just yesterday the forward/back controls on my drivers seat stopped working. the seat
    is now stuck in the far back position, which is fine for me, since that is where it usually
    is. However, my wife can't drive the vehicle in bad weather now. Does anyone have any
    idea how much it will cost to replace, or where to get the parts? This is the second
    electrical item to fail. I shoulda got the extended warranty.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Funny, the EXACT same thing just happened to me. What year is your truck, mine is a 2001.
  • 2003. Took it to the dealer to have it fixed. $537. Seat track and one of the motors
    had to be replaced. My service guy gave me a 10% discount, so I ticked in under
    $500. For comparison, the seat place in town would have been about $60 less, but
    would have taken longer. The parts were $270. What a rip.
  • freddy7freddy7 Posts: 1
    Took my 98 Pathfinder w/95,000 mi in for an oil change, and the tech came out and said "cam seals leaking badly, recommend timing belt, seals, tensioner, and water pump." Bill would come to $2290 + tax and fees. Should it really cost this much? The car runs great, doesn't seem to be leaking anything, and have had all PM's done...
    Thanks
  • ncdiver2ncdiver2 Posts: 1
    Ok heres what i know 1998 pathfinder overheated and died now will not start !.there is spark to #1 cyl.2 there is fuel leaving and returning to fuel pump 3 no obvious water in oil.4 water pours straight thru and out left bottom of block as you face motor ? freeze plug I hope.Anny help to trouble shoot starting problem need to get it up on ramps to see where water leak is.Very little help with manuals.They show parts but no real trouble shooting,Thanks Brian
  • I just bought an '05 Pathfinder LE Granite color in mint, and I mean mint condition, with only 5100 miles on it. I traded my '03 Jetta TDI with 87k on it. I loved the great gas mileage I got, but I always missed my pathy. (I had a 1995 Pathfinder SE)Anyway, with the trade, I paid 19k out the door. I felt good about the deal considering how new this Pathy is. Anyway, I haven't got a chance to look at the manual yet.(I like to do the basic maintenance things myself)My questions are:

1.Are the newer models user friendly as far as basic maintenance like oil changing etc?

2.Is there anything I should be aware of to look out for or problems that people are having with the newer models?

3.The oil appears virgin, but I plan to use Mobil one Synthetic when I change it. Any body have any luck with accessories to help improve gas mileage a bit besides using synthetic oil?

4.Can any one recommend a web site or store that sells a good Kayak carrier for the roof and a rear hitch cargo hauler?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
  • I have an 06 (with 23k on it already!). I have had (1) major problem twice... and another problem once.
    The first major problem I had involves the "DTE system" not working. i.e., twice - when the tank showed I had 1/8 of a tank - I RAN OUT OF GAS. The "DTE" system did not engage, the yellow gas-low light did not work. Just.. all of a sudden the DTE went to a flashing "---" and the car died. Twice. That's apparently fixed now.
    The other problem was the right front brake - the caliper got stuck in a closed (or open?) position and wore the brake pad out and almost damaged the rotor. The brakes had been squeaking, I'm glad I brought it in when I did. Both were warranty issues but a pain in the you-know-what. I love driving my "pathy" but honestly if the Honda Pilot had fit into the garage, we would have gotten that instead!
  • Yea, I was looking in to the Honda Pilot also, but then I came across this deal and couldn't pass it up. I test drove the 07 Pilot, but I like the "drive" feel of the Pathfinder and the look except for the back end which looks like a minivan. Well, I hope that any problems that occur happen under warranty like it did for you.Thanks for your reply!
  • Hi,
    I've just bought a 1998 Pathfinder and I just discovered a goofy problem the previous ower decided not to tell me about. Some times when I first start the truck in the morning, it will be running just fine then you put in gear and it just dies, and it will do it over like 5 or 6 time in a row then it will be just fine for the rest of the day. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks,
    Jake
  • rbowenrbowen Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder that recently has started to overheat every once in a while (3 times) immediately after turning the engine off. While driving the temperature gauge reads normal. But when I stop I hear gurgling, the coolant in the over flow goes up and eventually overflows (if I turn the key back on, but not actually start the engine the temperature gauge reads at the top of the marked range, but not maxed). The first time I refilled the radiator and everything worked fine for a couple of weeks. The second time I replaced the radiator cap and refilled and it went fine for about a month.

The last time it did this the check engine light came on during the trip.

Any ideas?
  • I have a 1995 and when it hit a 105,000 i decided to changed my timing belt as recomended, i found an article on the internet explaining the whole procedure with pictures and it also said when doing the timing belt to replace seals cams & crank 3 total also suggested to replace tensioner and water pump total cost for parts from nissan less then $250 and about 16 hours,i would shop around and probably wouldn't pay more than $700-800 tops.I believe the interval for a 98 is 60K do you know if it was done if it was you can wait till 120K.Do you see alot of oil on the ground where you park the car at your home.but i believe $2290 is way to high,was it a nissan dealership that quoted you the price?Good Luck
  • loachloach Posts: 246
    I have an '01 Pathfinder SE. There is some annoying squeak coming from the steering column in turns. Took it in to the dealer expecting they could just lubricate it, but instead they told me the bushing where the squeak is coming from is inaccessible and they would have to replace the whole steering column to fix it. Obviously I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix a mildly annoying squeak. I've searched the forums here and found other people with this problem - but no suggested solutions. Anyone have ideas?
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    This TSB may help. Unfortunately the repair would be out of warranty.
  • loachloach Posts: 246
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, that looks like what it is and it is consistent with what the service writer told me at the dealership. Since it's out of warranty, I'll probably just tolerate it unless it gets worse. Disappointing.
  • jomarchjomarch Posts: 6
    Hello! About your goofy problem you say well......it is not goofy at all. I had a 1990 pathfinder for 15 years and now I have a 2001 pathfinder. It is all about how the previous owner drove and maintained the pathfinder I think! Try letting the truck motor warm up a little longer before you put in gear and I think you will see the problem disappear and also add some gas treatment to your tank every time you fill your tank up.

Hope It Helps - Jo In Texas