Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• notorious2notorious2 Posts: 4
    It depends, if I'm coming home from work then there's a lot of smoke but if its a short highway trip then the smoke is minimal. The smoke only last but a minute or two but again its heavy. I also smell an odor that's not sweet nor like steam. There's approximately 85700 miles on the engine and I'm the second owner. The maintenace on the vehicle is kept up to par every 3000 miles. But not sure as to how many quarts the engine burns per mile.
  • saknjmomsaknjmom Posts: 26
    There is a bulletin on the nissanhelp.com site. It says that the ECM needs reprogrammed.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    It's difficult to diagnose without seeing it in person, but it's possible your engine may need a full rebuild at some point. If it's no worse than having to add a quart every couple of hundred miles, you may find that it's much more economical to buy oil by the case than pay for a major engine overhaul. It's hard to say how long it might be before you are using so much oil that it's no longer feasible to go without the engine work...it could be today, or it may get no worse for years. It could be worth paying a shop an hour or two of labor to have a look and see what the problem might be, including compression testing each cylinder. I have an '01 that I have serviced religiously since now, and I now have 122K miles and it burns about a quart every 3000 miles. My sister has an '02 with 70k miles that has only been serviced "by the book". Hers burns a quart every 500-1000 miles, and she sees some smoke, but only when the engine is cold. I advised her about a year ago to carefully monitor the oil level, and the oil burning does not seem to be getting much worse.
    sorry, I don't. I can't see the receipt in my folder either.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,775
    I may need to swap the alternator on my wife's 97 PF with the 3.3 (I think they all have this engine). I've changed a few alternator but never on anything with a serpentine belt. If anyone that's been through it can tell me what I'm getting into, it would be very much appreciated.
  • munnymunny Posts: 10
    Steve,

did you ever resolve the heating problem - I have the same issue with intermittent overheating. I can drive all day without any problems but every once in a while ,especially going up hills, it gets really hot.

munnyn1@yahoo.com
  • wli1wli1 Posts: 1
    I took my 2001 Pathfinder LE to the dealer and was told that the rear endlinks (also known as sway bars?) need to be replaced. They gave me a quote of $1190. Is this right? (well, let's safely assume that anything from the dealer is inflated to begin with) The parts seem to cost little so I am wondering what a reasonable service charge would be. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I can't imagine that the labor would be more than 2 hours in the flat rate book...
    Have you resolved this yet? I found a service bulletin that seems to address it. Taking in today. We'll see.
    Just curious.
  • I was driving down the road in my 97' pathfinder when my radio died... Shortly after that my ABS light came on steady.. Then my ABS light started coming on and off.. Then my TACH started fluctuating I pulled in the driveway and shut the car off.. Now it wont start at all... Any ideas? PLEASE HELP! My only other mode of transportation is my bike and thats busted too!
  • budmantombudmantom Posts: 33
    Sounds like an alternator/battery problem.
  • brockhanbrockhan Posts: 1
    Clutch won't engage on compressor. Fusses are good..
  • arta2arta2 Posts: 1
    Check engine light was on when I took car for inspection. We are an emission control county so the car failed. Computer read that it was the knock sensor and a misfire on cylinder 1 according to the inspection station. I bought a book and it shows the knock sensor under the manifold in the center, my 1996 does not have anything in the middle. Does anyone know if there are knock sensors for each of the cylinders? Anything I have read indicates that there is only one knock sensor but it looks like I have one on each cylinder.
  • sastresastre Posts: 3
    My speedo, tach. temp and odometer stop working after driving about an hour with the lights on. I don't believe it happens with the lights off and the fuel gauge keeps working. The light on the gauge assy go out also. If I stop and turn the ignition off for a few minutes they all come back on and work for awhile then go out again. Am I losing a ground? Any ideas. It is hard to trouble shoot as it is only happens for a limited time.
  • hi, i just bought a '97 nissan pathfinder. i love it, the only problem is the swing arm with the spare tire will not unlatch. the guy i bought it from said it would cost $200 at dealership to fix, but he had forgotten exactly what they had said was wrong with it. anybody here have any ideas? has anyone dealt with this before and fixed it themselves?
    thanks
    That swing arm is optional equipment and probably a dealer installed option. There can be a lot of different variations out there.
  • I have 2006 PF SE and I'm wondering after how many Km I should change or refill both oils. mine has 75,000 Km and I haven't change anything except air filter (I don't like going to the dealer)
  • I have a 02 Nissan Path, the A/C unit only works when the air is on high. The other settings don't work. Now when I'm driving I could feel the cool air ( or heat depending on the season) coming out of the vents when the A/C is off. I'm not sure what it could be but maybe you guys can help me out.

P.S. Thanks on the smokey tailpipe answer. I took it over to a mechanic and he said I would need to have my valves and head gaskets checked for pressure and see where the leak is coming from but it is oil leaking into the chamber.
  • Same exact problem!! I could not have described it more accurately.

I have a 2001 Pathfinder SE Manual with about 120k miles. Were you able to find out any more details on this issue?
  • I recently ran my 1995 Pathfinder into a pile of dirt while offroading and banged up the front quite a bit. My inspection expires this month and I need the orange cover that goes over the front right light. the light fixture and bulb are intact only the orange cover which is held in by two phillips screws is broken. Does anyone know where I can get one without purchasing an entire front light fixture? Also, the front bumper is banged up a bit and front right headlight. Does anyone have or know of someone who has a 1995 Pathfinder for parts? Thanks -Dave
  • loachloach Posts: 246
    I bought a reconditioned 6 disc changer for my '01 Pathfinder off Ebay (previous unit had the Err2 problem and I destroyed it while removing the CDs!) The reconditioned unit works fine - except it skips badly when playing CD-Rs. Some CD-Rs seem to be worse than others. On one CD-R, it will play the first 12-13 tracks fine without skipping, then starts skipping out on the last 2-4 tracks. I know the manual says not to play CD-Rs or CD-RWs in this unit because it may malfunction, so I really don't have a complaint. I'm just curious if other folks have experienced the same thing with CD-Rs or if there's certain types of CD-Rs that are problematic with this unit. I don't know if my original unit did the same thing because I never played CD-Rs in it.
  • jdinphxjdinphx Posts: 1
    OK guys, I need another opinion. I have an '05 PF that is due for 30,000 mi. service. The list is as long as my arm with things they want to do, but I feel part of it just isn't necessary. I live in Arizona, which is considered a severe service state. I have my oil changed at 3,000 mi. instead of the recommended 3,750 mi. because of that reason. One of the things that the dealer wants to do is completely dismantle my throttle body and clean it. They also want to also remove all my injectors and claim to "clean" them as well. I just don't feel that's necessary and they're just trying to burn me for as much as they can. I understand the additional stuff, antifreeze change, transmission fluid change etc. all again due to the severe service conditions here, high heat etc. Nearly all my driving is freeway, and I use Chevron gas because of the Techron additive for keeping the fuel system clean. I have a Lincoln sitting in my garage with 122,000 mi. on it and the injectors/throttle body have never been touched. My mechanic for that vehicle says everything looks fine and the car runs great. I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance, and drive for a living. Am I just being cheap? The nearly $600.00 they want seems a bit excessive.
    I agree with you. One question...who told you that AZ is considered to be a severe service state? For example, unless you are doing heavy duty towing or something similar, hot weather would not materially shorten the life of your oil. You engine oil does not run that much hotter when the ambient temp is 120 degress versus 80 degrees assuming you are driving the vehicle in the same manner.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    More likely an issue of dirt and dust (desert environment) than heat. If you don't experience those types of conditions in your driving, then you should not consider conditions to be severe. I've never been to a desert climate, but would think that this might be a valid concern in certain areas (particularly those of a less urban nature).
    That does make sense, but many areas of the state are not like that. I'm curious if Nissan really does classify all of AZ as a severe duty state, or if this is merely "dealer bologna" to try to oversell customers on service. That's why I asked where that information came from.
  • I had a similar problem with my '06 Pathfinder. The cause of the transmission shuttering was due to a crack from a radiator hose. The coolant leaked and mixed with the transmission fluid. Now I have to replace the radiator and might have to replace the transmission too. And not surprisingly, the repair is not covered under the power terrain warranty because the radiator is at fault. Bottom line Nissans are pathetic cars.
    Isn't your radiator still under warranty?
  • Have '91 Pathfinder that needs a couple interior parts: the center console lid and the driver side door handle/arm rest. Please advise where to go for these items.
    Thanks
    Look in your local yellow pages under "auto parts used". You should be able to find these at a local auto salvage/used parts recycler.
    Try googling craigslist

A search term like '91 pathfinder craigslist' will search the whole country.

I saved a bundle buying my floor mats from TN this way