Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    I install air springs and that helped alot!
    Just resent someone found stronger springs for the rear,might be another option. Replacing the springs might be easier,no hoses,ect.
  • hutch85hutch85 Member Posts: 8
    My fiance & I recently bought an '02 LE, and we absolutely love it (1st SUV for both of us). There is one minor thing we don't like about it, and that's the wimpy-sounding horn - it sounds like it came off a tiny little Kia or something like that :P (*meep*)

Has anyone replaced their horn with something a little more authoritative? I thought I read somewhere in the manual a dire warning about tampering with the horn - just noise or fact?

I'm not looking for 120 dB air horns, but something a little more suitable (not that I use it everyday, mind you!). Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
    Mike
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I was rear-ended today in my '02 path 4x4, and had some bumper/hitch damage.
    Anyone know of potential frame problems or alignment issues I should be aware of when I take it to get looked at?
  • savanzasavanza Member Posts: 3
    My just-purchased 99 LE has poor AM reception. (FM is fine, but could be better at times.) Is this normal for this vehicle and/or is there a fix?
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I bought truck horns from Gregg Distributors. Wired them up with a switch so I can sound:
    "Please excuse me" (original horn) or
    "Get the #*&%@( out of the way" (truck horns).
    Better horns are sold as two that clash. These are standard type horns that are just larger (and draw substantially more current). I just added a new relay operated by the voltage to the original horn, and fed directly from the battery (use an inline fuse close to the battery).
  • savanzasavanza Member Posts: 3
    My 99.5 has an a/c fan noise. Subtle, but there constantly. Is this normal?
  • bulibolbulibol Member Posts: 4
    Caught the discussion between asalim and xplorx4 on 4WD grinding during turns. I've got a similar, but slightly different situation with my new 2002 LE 4x4 (have had the vehicle for two weeks now). My PF has the All Mode 4WD function and I've noted the same symptoms recently when I make tight turns into parking spots, driveways, etc. Only difference, I'm driving the vehicle in the AUTO mode, wherein it's only suppose to shift into 4WD when the situation requires. The road conditions I've driven in since owning the truck; paved, dry, roads. My question to you xplorx4: "does this sound like a problem or might the system be functioning properly as claimed by the dealer?" According to my manual and the dealer, I should be driving in AUTO mode continuously. Looking forward to your insight.
  • hutch85hutch85 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the comment, Pathstar. Smart idea wiring in a switch to change between the two :)
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Since I don't have an auto-mode transfer case, I can't say for sure what "normal" is. However, here's a test for you, along with some background info.

Auto-mode works by detecting differences in rotational speed between the front and rear driveshafts. Tight turns usually exaggerate the speed differential, and could potentially engage the auto-4WD clutches. However, at low speeds this generally shouldn't be an issue.

One way to determine if the drivetrain is binding in auto-mode is to perform the following test:

Drive in such a way as to produce the suspected problem in auto-mode. (i.e. tight turns into a parking spot, etc. like you described.) Get a feel for the behavior of the truck in this situation. You may need to repeat the test several times.

Repeat the same exact test (same speed, same acceleration/braking, same turn radius) in 2WD mode and in 4HI.

If you cannot tell a difference between automode and 4HI, then your t-case may have a problem. If there is a difference (i.e. 4HI really binds compared to auto - you may even hear your tires chirping), then it's likely you're OK.

Finally, try doing the same procedures above at lower speeds or with less application of the go-pedal. Sometimes the combination of auto-mode and LSD rear differential can contribute to a "tight" feel, but this usually only happens when you're on the gas.

I hope that helps.

PS> If road conditions generally are dry, you can use 2WD mode. This should eliminate the problem and has the potential to provide better fuel economy.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey BULIBOL, I have a 2001 PF LE w/ the All-Mode 4wd & there should be absolutely no binding when in Auto mode, dry or wet. The whole beauty of the system is that it can be left in Auto without having to deal with engaging the 4wd when you slip (it is possible to slip on dry roads too). I would definitely get that checked out.
    All,
    Thanks for the input. I'll get it checked out and try the test you recommend. With our vehicle luck lately I fear this may be an issue. I'll keep you posted on our progress.
    smokey75,
    Out of curiosity, have you ever detected any type of binding at low speeds and tight turns like I've described? Also, do you keep your PF in AUTO mode?
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    No, I've never had any binding in tight-turns or at all & I always leave it in Auto. The Auto mode is nice if you have to take off w/ a lead foot to get into traffic. Wheels never slip...
  • dhl6982dhl6982 Member Posts: 2
    Hello friend,
    I need help for instruction to reprogrammin a keyless remote for 95 Pathfinder.
    I bought used one from Ebay and I wonder someone can help me to reprogram.
    My email address is
    DHL6982@yahoo.com
    thank you for your time.
    Don
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    We recently bought an 03 LE. It has 480 miles and has been pinging since we brought it home. We suspect that it was delivered with regular grade gas. Since then, we have used only 91 octane fuel. We estimate that it has 3-4 gal of regular in the tank now. Should it continue to ping? The pinging is intermittent at 1700 RPM but it interferes with our enjoyment of the PF. Otherwise, we love our PF. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Could you tell me where to buy floor mats & rear wind deflector? how much to install the rear wind deflector ?
    Thanks in advance
    To Pathfinder 2001 or anyone who can help:

Reviewing posts on April 23 and 24 of 2001, Pathfinder 2001 reported pinging problems with his new Pathfinder. Since I am having similar problems, I'm wondering what was the problem and was the dealer any help? How was the problem solved? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Another recent purchaser complained of poor gas mileage and pinging with a brand new Pathy. See post #5447 in the main Pathfinder thread. I'd run it back to the dealer for a check-up.
    Thanks for the suggestion. We will definitely take it back to the dealer. We thought we would run two tanks of premium from different oil companies before we took it back. Your suggestion has got us thinking to maybe do it now. Thanks again.
  • ktoesktoes Member Posts: 1
    Aloha all, my 95 4X4,PF-SE has now gone through 3 Exhaust Manifold replacements, two under warranty and the third happened just recently, 90000 miles. I've been seeing others have the same problem, I've heard reasons from design flaw in this year models of truck?, to too hot, bolts break, exhausts warp?, etc. I've tried to have Nissan issue a factory recall to replace for free,NOT, but surprisingly, I had recently contacted Nissan's National Consumer Affairs Department and they have actually listened a bit and have issued a "GoodWill Assistance" check in the amount to cover half the cost!!? I think that's better than nothing. So, give it a try if you've had this problem. I think you can check out the Nissan's newest website: Nissan.org? Good luck to all PF owners.
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Wow, with 90k miles, that's great of them to pay for half. Perhaps it's good business sense on Nissan's part.

Maybe you should buy some headers instead of an exhaust manifold. Others have gone to headers on their PFs, but I'm not sure what other mods are required.
  • csantamariacsantamaria Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I just bought a used 94 Path, 81Kmiles. My sister was driving it up from NJ to VT for me. Long story short = after stopping for gas, the anti-theft system activated when she opened the driver's door. We don't know how to deactivate the alarm, or how to disable it. Now it is stranded in NY. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thanks.
  • charleslarrycharleslarry Member Posts: 4
    My '02 LE (with sunroof, 140 miles on it) has started making a "whirring" or "whining" type of noise. It seems to start at 25 mph. Sounds like it could be wind-related, not sure. Also seems like it's from inside the cabin-also not sure. You can't hear it when you get up to 45mph but that just may be outside noise drowning it out. Ideas anyone?
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I have Toyo tires on my '01 SE. I've got 20k miles on it and the tires seem to be giving off excessive road noise recently. I had a tire shop take a quick look and they said they were all cupped to some degree. The truck drives great - no pulling or shimmying, so I'm a little disappointed that these tires are wearing so poorly. I really hate to fork out $400-$500 to replace the tires already, although at this point there's probably not much else I can do. I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with the Toyo tires?

Thanks.
    How often have the tires been rotated? You might want to have the alignment checked. It could be from too much toe-in.
    That's the first thing they asked me at the tire shop, but I rotate the tires with every other oil change, so about 7500 miles. That's why I'm surprised that they are wearing so poorly. When you say there might be too much toe-in, is that something I would notice driving? The steering still seems fine.
    Incorrect toe setting may not be noticeable by just driving. Usually tire wear along the outside edge of tires (including cupping, feathering, etc.) is caused by excessive toe-in. Toe-out wears the inside edge of the tire.

Toe in means your truck's front tires are pigeon-toed:
    /---\

|---|

while toe-out is the opposite:
    \---/

|---|

Incidentally, toe is the only alignment adjustment the Pathfinder has. Camber and caster are not adjustable.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I have my tires rotated at every oil change (3,000 miles). If I don't, my tires chew themselves up in a hurry.
    Thanks for your input.
  • dcavicdcavic Member Posts: 9
    I have 18,000 on my 01 LE, same problem, started to have tire noise recently. Can't feel any cupping, and at times is sounds like a light thumping. Several years ago I had a tire separate, same sound. Will bring it in to the dealer next week. Have had them balanced every 4-5 thousand miles. Other than the noise, great vehicle. Drove to Greenville SC from Virginia and averaged 21 mpg. Drove 70-75 mph most of the way.
  • jsmithmedjsmithmed Member Posts: 5
    My two cents...I had Dunlops on my 01' SE and rotated every 10K. Stupid mistake, I replaced the Dunlops at about 23K with Toyo Open Country A/T's and now rotate every oil change (5k). Absolutely would recommend this tire...the wear and ride are excellent. I've got about 37K on them and about 1/2 life left.

Bottom line...PF'ers chew up tires if not kept rotated!
  • nchelonchelo Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99.5 Pathfinder LE with yet more problems.

When the car was under warranty I had the AC Compressor replaced after only 33,000 miles. It made a horrible pinging noise. Now that I have 60,000 miles I have the same problem. You can hear the car coming from a half mile a way. Of course it is not under warranty now, and the dealer wants $750 to replace it. Has anyone else had this problem. I am afraid to replace it, thinking it will just have the same pinging noise problem a year later.

Similar to above, my fan is making an annoying whirling sound. It happens whether the AC or heat is on. Problem is I can't tell if it is actually the fan or something in the air ducts. Any suggestions so I don't have to pay the dealer $80 bucks in hour with the potential of still having the problem?

Pathfinders SUCK. I knew I should of bought a Toyota.
  • labbottlabbott Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm looking at a '96 XE with 61K miles, automatic. Drives fine, brakes, etc. check out OK. What I'm wondering is if there are any "hidden" problems with this model and year. What is likely to be going? Manual says timing belt change at 105K. Should it be done earlier? Thanks for any advice.
  • jimdboatjimdboat Member Posts: 5
    I have an '02 LE and have the same whistling noise and it appears to be comming from the roof rack. A buddy noticed 2 holes that he felt might make that noice when the air passes oner it. I'm going to try plugging them to see if the noise dissappears. if not, my son had a good idea....turn the radio up. I'll let you know if it works.
  • shandy1shandy1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2001 PF SE - I believe
    premium fuel is recommended. Is that a must, or just a nice to do?

I have a 2000 Infiniti that also recommends premium, but I've always used regular and have had no problems. Thanks
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    The Pathfinder 3.5 engine is designed to work most efficiently with fuel octane of at least 91 octane. While it will RUN on lower octane, the knock sensor will retard the timing, yielding poorer acceleration and marginally lower fuel economy. The 3.5 engine is considered one of the finest in the world, and is the reason many of us chose the PF. Why in the world would you pay $25-30k for a vehicle then put up with sub-par performance to save about $75 per year by using cheaper fuel? Just my $.02 worth. BTW, I also own a 1997 4Runner--I burn nothing but 87 octane in it, because that is what it was designed to use. In my Pathy, though, nothing but premium.
    jack <><
    Brought my 01 LE in to check out the tire noise and slight thumping sound. Dealer said it was caused by under inflated tires. Have 18,400 miles on the Toyo's had balance and rotation 4 times. They said they checked inflation on each balance and rotation, I check them every 4-5 weeks. Kept 26 psi as stated in glove box sticker. Can the tires be that bad? Or as stated in other posts as a toe in problem? Now have to go to a tire dealer and haggle with the warranty. I see a recomendation for Toyo's Cross Country tire but reluctant to put another Toyo product on the truck. Any other recomendations?
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    This will really depend on how you use your truck.

Do you ever go off-road? Does off-roading mean more than driving down a dirt road? If so, you'll want an all-terrain tire. If not, you'll want a street tire.

If you live where it snows, the Michelin LTX M/S is a great all-around tire that will last a long time (as long as you keep them rotated...as with any tire on a pathfinder...and I mean rotated at every oil change--3,000 miles).

If snow isn't an issue, I really like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T for an all-terrain tire and the Dueler H/L for an "all-road all the time" tire. I've put the the A/T though the paces in my Pathfinder both on and off-road for the last 30,000 miles and I've still got another 20k or so to go. The H/L will handle better on-road while providing a better ride.

There are a lot of other options out there, but those are my choices.
    Smithhmd... Thanks for the info. The Nissan dealer said my tread problems was due to under inflation. I asked what pressure did the tech put in the tires he said "32lbs". When I advised him the sticker on the door frame and glove compartment stated 26psi. He said best I bring the truck to a tire dealer. I did. Toyo will give me a 50 per cent allowance on some new Toyo's. Toyo recommended the Open Country AT. I never use the truck off road or even on a dirt road so I am looking for a smoother ride. Consumers report gave the Open Country M410 a high rating so I am favoring that tire now. Does the AT tires give a harsher ride? In any case thanks for the info.
    Toyo dealer said M410 does not have a tire size for the Pathfinder P255/65R 16. Also almost impossible to find a Open Country AT, said there is a shortage. Anyone know of a source in the USA for the AT... Might have to wait 2-3 weeks.
  • rowjimeerowjimee Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2002 PF LE last week. I'm was thrilled with it, until I took it out on it's first roadtrip this weekend when I started noticing this really annoying "fluttering" noise coming from the rear-end when I let up on the gas ever so slightly at speeds over 65-70 mph (or when cruise cntrl was on going downhill). I took it into Nissan thinking it was a muffler problem, but they checked it out and the muffler seemed okay. Only when I drove the technician on the highway did he admit that he heard the sound. Now he thinks it may be the differential? I left it overnight for another guy to look at tomorrow. Any thoughts anyone? Is this a normal PF noise? Although it's not THAT loud, I can't imagine that they could sell as many PF's as they do if this were "normal". If it is, then I'm ready to give it back already with less then 700 miles on it because this noise will drive me to insanity.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I get a similar noise/feeling about 1/3-1/2 of the time when on the highway and when I release the gas pedal. I don't know if it is normal or not, but I can feel it kind of hesistate when I release the pedal.

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, although I suspect as well its coming from the rear rather than the transmission.

Keep us posted.
    Thanks for the feedback, mattman055. I just hung up with the Nissan technician, who claims that they have found the problem. He said it was a combination of a "loose nut" and driving in the Auto mode at speeds over 70mhp. Is this true, that you shouldn't drive in Auto mode at speeds over 70mph??? I would think that the whole concept of "Auto" would enable you to just keep it in Auto all the time. He said that he highlighted in my owners manual where it says this. Anyway, I'll let you know the true outcome once I pick it up tonight and do 90 on the Cross Bronx Expw.
    I called Nissan's customer support hotline, which turned out to be a helpful means of getting my question answered quickly (1800-647-7261, hit 0). Anyhow, this is what they told me (i'm simply passing along the info I was given):
    The "fluttering" noise is the axle overworking. They recommend keeping the car in 2wd or in the Auto-Mode while under normal conditions, and 2wd while driving at speeds in excess of 60 mph. Auto may be used for "limited use" at speeds over 60. According to their technician, 4wd vehicles are not meant to travel at speeds above 60 mph, and the Auto Mode isn't much different. Since the system is constantly redistributing power between all 4 wheels, you could find yourself in 4wd at speeds over 60mhp, and even though the axle isn't locked, it could still do serious damage to the transfer case. What's "supposed" to happen at speeds above 60 in the Auto mode, is it's supposed to automatically shift to 2wd. If you hear the "fluttering" noise or any strange noise not heard while in 2wd, than the system is still working with all 4 wheels and that's no good. He basically said to try and keep it in 2wd while on the highway as much as possible, and if weather conditions absolutely require all 4 wheels, then to slow down below 60.
    you're all probably thinking "what the hell is this guys talking about", I don't blame you, but this is what I was told.
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    "What's 'supposed' to happen at speeds above 60 in the Auto mode, is it's supposed to automatically shift to 2wd. If you hear the "fluttering" noise or any strange noise not heard while in 2wd, than the system is still working with all 4 wheels and that's no good"

Huh?

Well to me this sounds like if you are in Auto and its nice and sunny out and you can hear that flutter then Nissan has a problem since obviously something is broken and its not shifting into 2WD like its supposed (all the literature indicates this is how its supposed to work). The whole point of the Auto is that the driver shouldnt have to worry about these sorts of things.

I dont think I've heard of an issue like this with any of the multitudes of new SUV's that have a similar auto mode. Isn't Nissan's based on the AWD in the Skyline? You cant tell me that sucker only goes 60 mph.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    As you indicated, did the tech ever highlight WHERE in the manaul it said the cut off for AUTO was 60-70 MPH
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    As someone who just took delivery of an '03 path I find this hard to believe.I can't imagine Nissan producing a modern automatic AWD system to replace the clunky old floor shifter(one of the two main reasons I didn't buy a Pathfinder for my last car back in '98--the other was lack of power)and not being able to use the system over 60 MPH.Subaru,Honda and JGC Quadradrive systems all run at freeway speeds.The only speed restriction I could find mentioned in the owners manual today had to do with not driving over 50MPH with the centre diff locked in 4HI.I plan to take a ride on the highway tomorrow in AUTO at 75 and see what happens.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I have had my 2001 LE up to 85 to 90 MPH. in AWD.

No noise at all except for a little wind noise.

I also checked with Etch. on this subject he said there should be no problems.

I do most of my driving in 2WD, but put it in AWD when driving on hilly and curving roads. I find I have better control in AWD.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    I tried it yesterday (03 LE). Went 70 or so and aside from wind noise I couln't here any other type of noise... sorry....

I mainly use 2WD for now and plan to use Auto during winter or on gravel and winding roads.

With my 4Runner I was on 2wd all the time. I used 4WD only under slippery condition only (aside from off-roading). And when I would use 4WD the conditions usually required for me to drive below 60 anyway.

Here in Canada in winter you mainly see SUV in the ditch on roads and highways. SUV drivers seem to think they are above the law of physics and nature around here!!!!

I'm not trying to excuse Nissan here by the way !!! People should be able to use their cars/truck the way they want.
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    I tried it this AM at 75-80 MPH no sign of a noise .I mentioned the "don't drive in AUTO mode over 60" bit to the guys at my dealer's service dept when I picked up my new '03 Chilkoot yesterday and they'd never heard of it. I don't know if was my imagination but the PF seemed to have marginally less power/pickup when I switched into Auto-mode on the highway? The owner's manual rfers to "2Hi" as "economy mode".-Anyone know if the fuel economy is any better in 2WD Vs "AUTO"?