Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• smurphymnsmurphymn Posts: 3
    My 2000 Pathfinder needs to have its engine replaced due to poor oil maintenance. Does anyone know what a reasonable cost for a rebuilt or remanufactured engine replacement is, including labor?
  • smurphymnsmurphymn Posts: 3
    Any thoughts on what a reasobale cost is (labor and engine) to put in a used or rebuilt engine in a 2000 Pathfinder. By the way, its a good idea to make sure your oil is changed frequently, it is/was an expensive lesson for us.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    What kind of oil change neglect are we talking about here? What kind of mileage is on the Pathy?

Did you get a second opinion on the reason for the engine conking out?

Steve, Host
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Did you buy the Pathfinder used or new? Oil change intervals are stated in the owners' manual. Many vehicle owners change the oil more frequently than that, usually every 3000 miles.

If you have another vehicle, be sure to keep up on the oil changes for that as well.

BTW, there are other fluids on the vehicle that need changing periodically, too. Don't neglect those, or you'll wind up replacing the transmission, differentials, power steering system, brake system, and more!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    My '99 Quest has a similar engine to the one in the Pathfinder. I'm on a 7,500 oil change interval (per the manual) at 109,000 miles.

I've heard of some Toyotas sludging up even on the factory recommended interval, so that's why I'm curious about this situation.

Steve, Host
  • km4divekm4dive Posts: 1
    I had the same stalling and clanking issue with my 2001 Pathfinder with 53,000 miles on the engine. I would take your vehicle into the dealer to let them diagnose why your engine was stalling. My engine would run smooth as I have had all the required maintenance done on it, but when I stopped at the light, the engine would cut out and stall. After it stalled, sometimes it would easily restart, and sometimes it would not. I took it into the dealer to diagnose, but nothing came up in the trouble codes, so I took it back home and drove it for a few days. Then as I was driving it the following week, it started making a very loud clanking noise, I then shut off the engine and had it towed into the dealer. They found out that the screws on the throttle plate had come off, causing the screws and throttle plate being sucked into the engine. This has caused major engine damage. Lucky this will hopefully be covered under their 5 year, 60,000 mile power train warranty. I am still waiting to see what exactly they find next week after they tear down the engine. This is a very expensive labor authorization for taking off the cylinder heads to diagnose the amount of damage done. It seems that this is not an isolated issue as the dealer also happened to have a 2002 pathfinder with the same problem and they has to replace the engine with a New Long Block. I hope this helps your question.
  • gfro27gfro27 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder and as I got off the highway today I heard a clicking in the engine. I stopped at a trusted mechanic near my office and he said it was likely going to be a major engine problem and may require replacement. He's looking at it right now. He said to start getting oil change receipts and contact Nissan corporate for this.

I have 58000 miles on it. What kind of engine warranty comes standard with a Pathfinder? Any suggestions on which route I can go with this?

Thanks,

Gregg
  • path96path96 Posts: 1
    First im sorry my English language, i havent use it for while.

I bought my Path month ago and i have couple troubles with it

- I need service book with explosion pictures ( motor )
    - Big belt tyre which is connected with two belts
    ( it has also vulcanic rubber part ? ) is broken
    its connected A/c, water pump with belts
    ( i know that nobody couldnt understand what i mean ) But if, is this "belt tyre " easy or hard to change ?
    - One part missing sunroof ( inside cover )

If someone understand me and can maybe help

With many best wishes

Arto from Finland

arthur@netti.fi
  • rs4rs4 Posts: 25
    I have this rattling noise from the rear end underneath the vehicle. The technician at the dealership said that it has something to do with the Parking brakes. He said that it is the characteristic of the vehicle, and currently there is no fix for this solution. Later I contacted the Nissan Customer department too and they had the same answer.The noise is very loud when you drive over a rough surface and if you have your windows open. Does any one has this issue ? Is there a solution to fix this. Please help, I have been trying to fix this for 1 year now.

Thanks
  • gfro27gfro27 Posts: 2
    The first mechanic, diagnosed the clicking noise and determined it was a rod knock. So I had the vehicle towed to the dealer. Of course when I got it to the dealer, the clicking was completely gone. And they say that the engine looks good.

I've asked them what the sound could have been and they can't come up with an explanation. I am only 1500 miles away from my warranty being up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? I'm picking the vehicle up this afternoon and bringing it to the original mechanic to see what he has to say. Then a third party mechanic.

The people at the dealership seem a little fishy and are very reluctant to look into the engine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregg
  • cally07cally07 Posts: 2
    I am the owner of a 2004 Pathfinder SE with approximately 25,000 miles on it. I have been hearing some weird noise coming from the engine....particularly when I start the car. It sounds like something is loose, but I'm not sure. Also, the car has been acting like its about to shut off. I called the dealer nearest to me, and they won't squeeze me in. Has anyone had similar problems??? Please help.
  • zzr12zzr12 Posts: 18
    I have a 2004 LE. Ever since new, particularily when cold, I hear a rattling or buzzing noise underneath the vehicle when I first start it up. This then goes away after approx 3-4 mins of driving. I think the noise is coming from the heat shields underneath but I have never bothered to check because as mentioned , it goes away. Hope this helps.
  • cally07cally07 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I actually thought that my problem was weather related too, during the winter months, it seemed to go away after about 10 minutes, but now its summer, and the noise is continuous while I drive. Also, the car shakes and behaves like its going to cut off. I've just been able to get an appointment with the dealer who serviced the car about 1 month ago. I'll be sure to post their diagnosis.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    There have been a few cases of throttle plates coming loose reported on this board. Make sure they look at them. If they come all the way off the engine will ingest them and that's terminal! I suspect it's the "secondary" throttle plates, as the primary ones coming off would make the vehicle undrivable.
  • Have 95 Pathfinder Xe and just learned a freind had same problem with 95 truck. Problem comes and goes. Mechanic couldn't find problem. Many relays possible culprit. Any suggestions.
  • steve2002steve2002 Posts: 4
    my 2003 pathfinder se over heats while pulling my boat up hills. the car is rated to pull 5000lbs and my boat weighs only 2900lbs so I don't see a reason it should not be able to handle pulling this boat. I have had the fan clutch replaced, the thermostat replaced and the water control valve(another thermostat)replaced. so after $1100.00 and two different shops not able to fix it, I'm at a lost. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    How do you know the boat weighs only 2900 lbs.? How much does the trailer weigh? How many miles on the truck? Automatic or manual trans? Have you owned the truck since new? How many times has the cooling system been flushed? Why did the shop(s) replace the parts indicated above? What did they see that made them think the parts they replaced were bad? Were they just guessing, or did they do a proper analysis? For example, if your thermostat was causing an overheating condition, it's likely it would not be limited to only when you are towing the boat up a hill. Why do you think the truck is overheating? The temperature gauge? I have an '01 Pathfinder and have frequently towed my boat and trailer that weigh 4500 lbs. total. The temperature gauge is more or less the same towing verus non-towing.
  • steve2002steve2002 Posts: 4
    thanks for responding. I weighed my boat and trailer at a truck scale for a combine weight of 2900. it is a automatic transmission with 60,000 miles on it. I bought it used from the dealer a few months back. cooling system was inspected and flushed when they replaced the thermostats. mechanic said he felt there was not enough circulation which is why he replaced them. the first shop replaced the fan clutch based on the temp rising only on hills with the boat but not on flat ground. when pulling up hill the temp gauge will start climbing rapidly and within a mile will be in the danger zone. as I start down a hill the engine will cool off quite quickly. it can go from from hot to normal temp within a matter a seconds. also one way I was able to cool down the engine originally was to rev up the rpm to 2500 in neutral and that seem to cool it down. how about the oil pump going bad instead of something with the cooling system?
    thanks
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Do you know if the previous owner ever took it off-road? There may be mud or debris in the radiator. Try spraying the radiator (through the front of the grille and from behind, through the fan shroud ) with a garden hose to clean it out.

Also, when towing, be sure to turn the transmission overdrive OFF.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    You're right, towing 2900 lbs should be no issue at all for your truck. First of all, didn't the dealer you bought the truck from give you a warranty? If yes, would this repair be covered? If yes, it's their responsibility to diagnose the problem, not yours. I agree with Explorx4's suggestions. Also, what is your approximate engine speed when you are towing up the hill? If it's much over 3000 RPM you might try to go up the hill at about 3000 RPM so that the engine does not have to work as hard, and I would have the guy who replaced the thermostat check all the hoses (especially the lower radiator hose) to see if one or more are collapsing from the stronger vacuum the water pump creates at higher engine speeds (say, over 3000 RPM). The fact that the engine cools down so quickly makes me agree with the mechanic that thought there was a circulation problem, and the fact that you could quickly cool down the engine at 2500 RPM in neutral suggests that the fan clutch was operating properly. Please make sure you share with us how you are able to resolve the problem.