Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    xplorx4 - thanks for the helpful info (yet again). I understand...I'll just have to make up my mind.

As far as researching more, I stopped after selecting 18 'contenders' (while rejecting many others) so I'm done there. The sportsworks is pretty unique - the only similar one is performance's Xport universal tray hitch. But it attaches via the fork, not the front wheel which I didn't like and it didn't seem as solid. Cheap, though...$99/3 bikes. All the others are variations on the BVG theme and I have no doubt that the BVG one is the best of those. thanks again.
    On to the next item, cargo liners. I have found 5 that look good, some of which have been mentioned in the main list:

1) Husky/$63 at central4wd.com
    2) Cargo Protector/$78 at irontoad.com
    3) Highland Custom Fit Floor Liner/$80 at autobarn.com
    4) Cargo Organizer/$87 at irontoad.com and
    5) Black Armor Cargo Area Floor Liner/$60 at jcwhitney.com.

Only numbers 2,3 and 5 have cutouts for hooks. Numbers 3 and 5 look identical, the only ones to extend up the back of the rear seats. The Cargo Organizer (#4) has a sectionalized piece that lies on top of part of the liner and is removable. Only numbers 1, 2 & 4 have a lip on the edges to help with spills. They all are 'rinseable' plastic/rubber with no carpet (my requirement).

Here are the URLs:
    1)www.central4wd.com/gocart/itemdetail.asp?ID=210
    2)www.irontoad.com/n_associated.htm
    3)www.autobarn.net/rodi/higcusfitflo.html
    4)www.irontoad.com/n_associated.htm
    5)www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=19459

Questions: 1) Does anyone know whether the Highland and the Black armor are the same item? Or how good they are? 2) Has anyone bought one of these and thought that they were too 'flimsy' or had other flaws?
    I have heard from several listers that were happy with the Husky liner and the Cargo Organizer.

Any feedback on any of these would be appreciated.
  • paco99paco99 Posts: 25
    Although I didn't look at the other sites listed, I did look at JCWhitney's site and found several more than the one you mentioned. To find them, one has to go thru their product listing, some can't be seen via their search of product number.

1) # 19459: doesn't have "sidewall" pieces and apparently doesn't have any type of edging/wall up to catch spills.

2) #96173: "CargoLiner" comes in 2 versions: full (#41020: $ 115.) and shorter size (#41043: $ 75.); nothing mentioned about "cutouts"; 3 colors; "full" covers sides, back of seats & cargo area w/velcro fasteners; "shorter" version covers cargo floor and back of seat; no sides; apparently, neither have "cutout holes" and maybe no edges to catch spills....

I don't think it's so bad if a liner doesn't have the cutout holes; one can always do it with a scissor....without them, no water gets underneath.....

Page 39 of their Feb 2001 catalog has pics of the liners.
    Paco99 - yes, yes there are MANY other cargo liners out there including ones at the sites I mentioned...this is a list of what I thought were the best ones...biased by my opinion, of course.

The one from JCWhitney with the cutouts is SKU 81ZX9965X which you can find from the search or you can use the URL I supplied in post #33. The ones you mention are lighter duty ones that I saw but didn't include...the URL for those two is http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=96173

I agree that not having cutouts is no big deal...several folks that got the Husky did that. I don't know how useful the hooks/cutouts will be...this is one of the things I'm looking for advice on.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    The Thule boxes look OK too. However, I notice that both Thule and Yakima require modification to the existing factory roof rack. Or am I mistaken? I prefer not to modify the roof rack.
    I kinda like the Thule Excursion, Thule Weekender, or Yakima SpaceCadet. I prefer the box to be within the roof of the vehicle, not too excited about the box protruding, which seems to be what the Rocketbox would be.
  • From what info I've gotten so far, it looks like with the Yakima system (and IIRC, the Thule as well) they make towers that fit the existing factory installed tracks. That being the case, no modification is necessary, just replacement of the towers and cross bars. I guess you would consider this a modification but, it gives you the flexibility to easily use their other products including their fairing to reduce wind noise.

One of the two (I can't remember which) told me that their box can be attached directly to the factory crossbars with the included hardware.

I'm not sure about the box protruding. It seems to me that would depend on where you placed the towers/cross bars on the track. Oh well.... something else to research ;-). Maybe one of our fellow townhallers has some info on this.
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    Just wanted to chime in with my experiences.

I purchased both the Rear & Side wind deflectors from a dealer (didn't want to wait) who had them in stock last month. I have a 01' Sierra Silver LE and I think this really makes the PF look even sharper (If that's possible?).
    Was the rear deflector the kind where it attaches via the rear hatch hinges? How does the color match with the silver?
    The Yakima and Thule sites had some pictures of certain boxes mounted on roof racks and it seems that most of them protrude at the back. I guess it's not a big deal but my preference is for a box that fits the roof.

So, if one does purchase one of these boxes, one would need attachments that would enable it to be mounted -- replace crossbars and towers? So, the factory crossbars and towers are not usable in conjunction to these boxes? That would kinda suck.
    I saw this and I guess you're right, it really depends how the cargo box is mounted. (Granted the picture is not a PF, but you get the idea).
  • Hi guys!
    I'm changing out the water pump on an '86 6 cyl pathfinder in a day or two and while I'm at it I'm going to change out the timing belt as well, since it has to be removed to reach the pump. I can't find a repair manual so I don't know what to align the valve gear timing marks (twin cam) up with. Does anyone have an answer. Thanks ------------ Jeff
  • I can't remember which, but one of the two can attach directly to the factory rack & crossbars with the included hardware. You can call Thule at 800-238-2388 and Yakima at 888-925-0703. I found both to be informative and they can tll you if theirs will work. Thanks for the link to the picture. That was what I remembered the fit to look like, and remember that our PF's are longer than the MDX.
    Ordered Cargo Organizer & rear window deflector from irontoad yesterday. They called me to say that because of its size, UPS must charge $30 to ship the organizer so he said "at that cost you should get it from your dealer"...so I cancelled the organizer. Just wondering...has anyone found a place to ship it at a reasonable cost?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    For those of you who have installed the Air Lift springs to supplement your rear coils on 96-01 Pathfinders, I have some questions:

1) Which kit did you get? (Airlift1000, or "Outback Special" which includes Load Controller II)

2) Did it include the compressor?

3) Where is the compressor mounted?

4) Where is the air pressure gauge located?

5) What's involved with the installation?

6) If no compressor, how do you adjust or monitor the spring air pressure?

7) Who has the best price for the required kit?

8) Who did the installation?

http://www.airliftcompany.com/outback.htm

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, since I'm growing weary of bottoming out my rear springs. Thanks.

• finally, after searching every day for 3 weeks i've finally found a nissan hitch cover (i've actually been looking for an infiniti one, and i'll continue to look, i just had to let people know about this). check out this page, and go towards the bottom and you'll see the three nissan choices:

http://www.hitchcorner.com/accent_hitch_covers.htm

too bad there isn't a pathfinder one, only xterra. i'm just happy i found something.

kj

• Anyone know what's the best grille guard to get and where I can find it.
    I don't want to go to the dealer, since the dealer normally charges a very high price.
    Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to install.

Thanks.
  • hasanashasanas Posts: 19
    1) I have an automatic transmisson, so what type of engine does the car have, the
    VQ35DE or the VG33E? Also, what's the difference between these 2 types of engines?
    Also, what type of octane rating should you put in?

2) Is there a website where I can get all of the commands for the audio controls on the steering wheel. Or can someone just send me an email with the answers.

My email is hasanas@hotmail.com

Thanks.
    All your questions are answered by the owner's manual.
  • justatoyjustatoy Posts: 2
    I was wondering if any of you have purchased a custom fit windshield sun shield for a 01 pathfinder. Unfortunately mine sits outside at work mon-fri and I don't want the sun to "cook" the interior.
    Also what have you all been using to protect dash and leather, I have been using Vinylex on dash and door panels and Lexol on seats. Any pros or cons?
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    I just received a dashmat from Dashcovers of Florida. They just made a new pattern for the 2001. I think mine was the first off the press. Steve
  • How is the fit of your new dashmat? Because of the hot summer sun here I like to use them as well. I have ordered three of them from three different manufactures and had to return them all due to poor fit. They either fit really bad just to the right of the instrument pod and/or they didn't have the correct cut outs for the auto headlight sensor, etc. How is the color match? Do you have the beige or charcoal interior? I think part of the problem may have been that they were trying to get away with using the mats designed for the 2000 PF.
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    What's wrong with the truck-van screens they sell for $7.99 at Pep Boys/Kragen/etc.? I've used mine for about a year and a half now ...
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    Has anybody upgraded their factory Bose system? What equipment did you use and how much of an improvement do you think it was?
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    plwilliams: The cover fits OK. It has the cutout for the sun sensor and airbag. I have the charcoal int. and ordered the charcoal dashmat. The first one they sent me was for a 1999.5 and the dash is different and had to return it. Someone at a dealer told them it was the same as a 2001 and it is not. The new pattern fairly well. It need to be taped down around the air bag but I have to much vinyl protectent for the tape to stick! Steve
  • Steve,
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give it a try if I can find someone that handles it locally. I'm a little paranoid about the fit and all the local folks seem to take returns on them with no hassle at all.
    Pat
  • kmrqkmrq Posts: 50
    Does anyone know where I can get a cheap parts for PF?? I'm looking for a right-side corner light..HELP PLEASE...
  • looking25looking25 Posts: 19
    Anyone suggest a place to get a good bug/hood deflector. I've been waiting for my dealer to get some in now for over a month with no success. I saw the x-terminator at carparts.com for $46 but really can't see how good/effective it is. I've kept my baby off the highway because of the stones laid down from recent snow storms. I'm getting impatient and would like to order one.
  • You might want to look at www.nissan-accessories.com I haven't ordered one yet, but it looks like the real thing from Nissan. A little expensive at 63.00 but the shipping is free.
  • jambazijambazi Posts: 51
    I've always wondered this: how do bug deflectors work? It seems like they cover such a small area...how can they protect your whole windshield? If a bug or a rock were to come in just a little bit higher than the height of the deflector, then **BAM**! it's on your windshield.

Can anybody help explain the physics behind this, and how they work?