Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Club Performance Mods

Comments

• jecklesjeckles Posts: 87
    I have tried K&N in several vehicles and am not impressed.

I don't want to start any flame wars or anything, but K&N filters are for race cars that get rebuilt often. Oil analysis shows wear metals and silica (sand) increase substantially after switching to K&N. I could also actually see dust accumulating on my throttle plate.

My brother uses one when he races (just in case he really gets an extra .5 hp) and then switches back to something more safe for normal driving. I recommend either use a high quality paper filter or reusable foam.

Just my $0.02 on the subject....
  • byroniiibyroniii Posts: 5
    Hat off to everybody,
    Name's Jerry, now doing a boring survey on car brands. Just a few questions, what do you guys think of the above 5 brands? What would u associate with each of them? Do they mean something to you? For example, some people regard Buick as for elder citizens. I don't know. I just want to know what u folks think.
    Thanks.
  • exzaveexzave Posts: 16
    OK CAI is cold air induction got that - pretty self explanatory

Cat-Back means putting exhaust system after factory catylitic converter. right..? New muffler and exhaust outlet right?

What is a "header"? Is it just a specially designed exhaust manifold. Does it include new cat or work with stock one? Does one generally put in new muffler, exhaust outlet w/ new header?

What about chips? These void warranties right? Are their any after market ECU's for pathfinders?

Answers or links to general modding information appreciated.

Exzave
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey, I'm considering a K&N FIPK Intake & Borla cat-back (not sure if they make one) for my 2001 PF LE. What are your thoughts on these? Thanks...
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    There are several people discussing different engine mods on the forums at 4x4parts.com

Here's a sample photo of someone who custom-made his own intake:

(Click here to view the thread)

• Recall Alert: NISSAN PATHFINDER
    Owner Notification Date: 9/11/2001
    Number of Units Potentially Affected: 31,000
    Component Description: STRUCTURE:HATCHBACK HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V282000
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description of Recall Campaign:
    Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. 2001 model year Nissan Pathfinder
    vehicles manufactured from December 20, 2000, through June 8, 2001, and 2001
    model year Infiniti QX4 vehicles manufacturer from January 8 to June 8, 2001.
    Some of the brackets used to attach the two gas struts to the rear door (hatch)
    may not have been made to specification. At high ambient temperature, the
    increase in gas pressure in the strut(s) may cause one or both brackets to bend,
    resulting in the struts detaching from the bracket(s) when opening or closing
    the rear door.

If both struts detach from the brackets, the door will rapidly fall down and
    possibly strike someone, possibly causing serious injury.

Dealers will replace the brackets for the struts free of charge.
    Owner notification is expected to begin during September 2001. Owners who
    take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and
    do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at
    1-800-647-7261. Hawaiian residents should call 1-808-836-0888. Also contact
    the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at
    1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    Just installed some 265/70R16 Michelin Cross-Terrains on my 99.5 PF and they only seem to rub on the driver's side at about 3/4 of the way to fully cranking the steering wheel to the right while backing up. There's a ridge on the plastic fender liner directly behind the foglights that connects with the tread where it meets the outer sidewall. There seems to be a 1/2" more clearance on the passenger side, which seems to be enough so that nothing rubs. I used some Velcro to pull the liner back about 1/2", but I still got it to rub once today. I might redrill the three mounting holes for the fender liner on the bottom of the bumper if I can't get the Velcro to work. Just thought some of you guys might like to know.

BTW, 265/70s really fill up a Pathy's wheelwells - it's one of those things you have to see in person. Parked next to a Yukon and a Sequoia a few days ago, and I definately had the meatiest tires. Only downside is that my 3.3L feels even weaker as it tries to spin all that rubber.
  • How do you like your new cross terrains? These Michelins are the top rated all season in the Pathfinder size out on the Tire Rack web page. About 30 places up the food chain from the Bridgestone Dueler H/T that came on the Pathfinder. The noise is supposed to be way better (less) and the traction better. Would you agree?
  • I really like my Cross-Terrains, although I only really have the Dueler H/Ts to compare them to. I actually didn't notice much of a difference with respect to road noise. I used to run my H/Ts at 33-35 psi, while America's Tire Co. inflated the Cross-Terrains to 30 psi. At these pressures, I never thought the H/Ts were particularly noisey.

In the handling department, the Cross-Terrains absolutely destroy the H/Ts - even with the much taller sidewall. I haven't been able to test their inclement weather handling too much, but they did handle the oily California streets much more assuredly than the H/Ts. I'll be testing their snow performance once Tahoe starts getting some pow-pow. The Cross-Terrains definately soak up bumps, potholes, expansion joints, etc. much better than the H/Ts without sacrificing any driver feedback - it's like I popped for the QX4 or something. Better handling and more comfortable - I don't know how Michelin does it.

I knew I wanted Michelins because of their longevity and I chose the Cross-Terrains over the LTXs because of superior street handling, superior treadlife, and equal all-season traction. When I bought my tires, Michelin was giving away a pair of Motorola Talkabouts (T5300?) with each set of tires - don't know if they're still running that deal.

Good luck.

P.S. Keep in mind that the Tire Rack survey still has a limited number of responses for the Cross-Terrains, so it could still turn out that they're worse than Wilderness ATs or something. ;)
  • Has anybody investigated using an ECU from a Manual PF (w/ 250 hp) in an auto trans PF to boost the hp?

It seems like a chip maker could pounce on this idea and tweak our 240hp engines to get an easily documented 10hp increase. Aside from the transmission, I don't think there are many mechanical differences.

Just thinking out loud...
  • Last week, someone hit my rear and my rear brake(left sides only) was cracked. Whole red lens part are gone, and I can only see chrome inner housing. I believe it's one part if I need to replace. I called the local dealer and they quote me at $140 for parts.. If one sides are this expensive, I rather get some aftermarket like clear or Altezza if they are available. Where can I find them? Also, is this price reasonable? Do anybody know if there is any place selling PF parts cheaper than others? Also, what about Infiniti QX4 retrofit? I like QX4 brake light.. How much would that be? Thanks in advance.
  • PATHFINDER LE 2001

Last week, someone hit my rear and my rear brake(left sides only) was cracked. Whole red lens part are gone, and I can only see chrome inner housing. I believe it's one part if I need to replace. I called the local dealer and they quote me at $140 for parts.. If one sides are this expensive, I rather get some aftermarket like clear or Altezza if they are available. Where can I find them? Also, is this price reasonable? Do anybody know if there is any place selling PF parts cheaper than others? Also, what about Infiniti QX4 retrofit? I like QX4 brake light.. How much would that be? Thanks in advance.
    Hey, I have a 2001 PF... has anyone put a K&N FIPK or other intake on their's? How did it do? Thanks...
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    K&N air filters only filter the boulders. Alot
    of air and everything else. If you want to use
    a cleanable filter use amsoil.
  • Chipping the engine to have 250 horses will not do good to the overall performance. The automatic version sacrifices a little top end power in favor of low end torque that is required by the automatic transmission. It would be sluggish off the line.
  • Thanks for the input...

It makes sense, so I guess I'll wait and see if some aftermarket company does anything.

It seems like there is at least 10 extra hp in there!!
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    There's extra in there, it's just a matter of finding room for proper headers. Still waiting for good quality ones that can actually be installed on a 2001/2002. Those factory manifolds look pretty restrictive. The rest of the exhaust system looks pretty good.
  • austin_paustin_p Posts: 27
    Anyone hear of a 1-2" lift kit for the PF? I have a friend with a 4runner, and it has more ground clearance than the PF. I would like to get some bigger tires under it but can't go much bigger because of lack of fender to tire height.

Bryan
  • duperduper Posts: 127
    The only lift available for the unibody Pathfinders are longer spring coils. You can have your choice of 2" or 2.5" inches. Anything longer may cause struts topping out. Automotive Customizers at www.4x4parts.com has them.

A guy on AC forum lifted his '01, here are some pics

http://www.misio.com/4x4/llift/before&after1.jpg

http://www.misio.com/4x4/llift/before&after2.jpg

http://www.misio.com/4x4/llift/before&after3.jpg

Also, Dean Thayer has those springs on his '97 LE

here

http://dean.thayer.net/off-road/upgrades/lift/

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if this has a much of an effect on the ride?
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    Of course, you are only gaining "body clearance", not ground clearance. The diff. will remain at the same height above ground. The handling will suffer somewhat (taller vehicle will lean more in corners at speed and will be more in danger of rollover off road). There are trade-offs in everything. If you want to retain the handling on road but get the body clearance off-road, air springs might be the best route to go. With an on-board air pump, you can vary the height on the fly. Several list members have done this on the rear for tailer towing, and there's no reason it can't also be done on the front.

As duper mentioned, you do have to be very careful not to top out the struts/shocks. A properly designed kit would give you longer travel ones for this mod.
    thanks for the info.

My thinking was that I could fit bigger tires underneath with a slight lift. I wouldn't be able to fit much bigger tires under it with Air Supension, atleast not as big as with an actual lift.

I am actually trying to gain the ~1.5 inches of clearance that the PF looses to the 4runner.

Bryan
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    Hey austin,

You could get halfway there by going to 265/70R16 tires alone. Slight rubbing at full lock in reverse - just a small annoyance that you soon get used to.

Good luck.
    Hey, I have a 2001 PF & am interested in doing a cold air intake, headers, & cat-back. Has anyone done any of these on the 3.5L? Right now I'm just looking for opinions on any brand...
  • This board is dying people, probably because there's not a lot of mods for the 3.5L PF's. What has everybody done to their PF & what do you think? Hey PATHY01, a while back you mentioned you had a Weapon-R intake & ram-air kit on order. What do you think? I'm looking specifically at intakes, exhaust, & rotors right now...
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    I'm not sure how many people here are interested in creating a more agressive and rugged look for their Pathfinder, but I wanted to spread the word that Calmini, an off-road fabrication company in California, has developed a 2-1/2" lift kit for the Nissan Pathfinder (96-02 models). The lift allows fitment of larger tires and creates a more rugged stance to the truck.

Being an avid off-road enthusiast myself, I had an opportunity to visit their company and take some photos of the prototype vehicle, which was featured at the SEMA (www.sema.org) show in Las Vegas last month.

Besides the lift, Calmini is developing undercarriage armor, roof racks, and new front and rear bumpers.

The front struts have been totally redesigned, providing for full adjustability with respect to ride height and alignment. The front suspension geometry can now be adjusted with regard to not only toe, but camber and caster as well. This is great news to anyone whose truck tends to pull or cannot be aligned to factory specs.

If you're interested in seeing this product make it into production, visit Calmini's web site. Also, take a look at photos of the lift at this link

• I wish others would post some pictures of their Pathfinders like you did. I've got an '02 LE Bronzed Gray, and looking for ideas to "beef" it up. Well, actually it's my husbands, but I stay on the lookout for him and give him ideas. I actually have an '03 Maxima...

Come on Path owners....post some pics!
  • Hello Nissangirl,

You'll have to wait a bit for my pics. Almost impossible to keep my truck clean these days with this dirty snow, rain and the sand and salt on the streets......

I am too looking to beef up a bit the look of my Pewter 03 LE. I plan to play around the high contrast of "black" detailing on the pewter color and my silver mags. Black, pewter and silver is an odd but very nice mix !!!

The bronzed gray is very nice too but was not available here in Canada for the 03 models.
  • I'll try to remain patient. Want to see it though!

Happy Holidays!
  • 4x4buff4x4buff Posts: 12
    It is all stock but my 2002 LE Pathfinder has been through good number of sandy, muddy, snowy, desert and canyon trails that California, Arizona and Utah have to offer.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/parminder_singh_devsi/my_photos

Pathfinder is a capable truck on the dirt, it even won the Baja race in 90s. It is an excellent companion for those who enjoy the great outdoors!

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.