Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
Hello everyone,

This is the topic to discuss any problems that your M-class has (had) and any solutions to the problems.

Drew
Host
Vans and SUVs message boards

Comments

• kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    I've collected a list of known problems at the M-Class Outpost.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Spraying some silicon spray into that area (along the base of the windshield/dash) and letting it work its way in for a few days solved the probem for me. However, I did mention it at Service A. FYI, according to the work order, "A-pillar trim fit foam under dash corner to realign corner of dash. Refit A-pillar trim". The slight amount of play that used to be there is now completely gone. It is as tight as the A-pillar trim/dashboard on the driver's side. No squeaks, no creaks. :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    There was an engineering oil class action against MB. Not sure what the model year coverage is, instead of 50k miles, I belive the engine warranty is extended to 100k for the engine oil problem.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Posts: 41
    How do I get to the cabin air filter for replacement ? Is it behind the glove box like on the E's ? TIA. JMSinTX
  • lsl1207lsl1207 Posts: 6
    I have a '00 and at 10k it needed new brakes and at 26k it needed a new transmission. At one time or another all of the computer lights go on for no reason. Next time I'll buy Japanese...
  • dietmikedietmike Posts: 7
    My upgraded Bose stereo on my 2001 ML320 Sport seems to have a reception problem. Most of the major stations in the Dallas, Texas area come in "weak". It sounds as if the treble cuts in and out just a bit. The CD works fine so I know it has something to do w/the antenna/tuner.

Where is the antenna, in the windshield? .. and has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
  • tlwwsotlwwso Posts: 12
    I'm getting a popping noise coming from somewhere at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. I saw the post from Jan. and didn't know if this is the same problem. The service department can't seem to fix the noise. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    In the general M-class commentary I have read that several owners have had problems with false readings appearing.

OIL HI frequently comes up because it takes 8.5 bottle of oil and somedays mechanics pour in 9 whole bottle.

But the problem could result from a bad sensor.

After a 4 day battle with my dealer, the truth came out that this sensor is frequently defective. Mine read "OIL HI" and then "-2.0".

The sensor needs to be replaced and it happens so often the dealers keep a number of the replacements on their shelves.
  • I have a 2000 ML320 and this is the second time that I have been stranded due to a seized fuel pump. Am I alone? Also, I have had numerous problems with the air conditioner, side door film, easily chipped paint, cracked rear support, etc. I never expected the MB to have so many problems.
  • biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    Hey, Buddy You are not alone, It happened to me twice also, if you read my post a few months back, my fuel hose busted on me while I'm driving in a high speed on a highway my ML just died and that was one of the scariest moment of my life I have my family with me. I just thank god and I managed to pull my ML to the safe side of the highway. They replace it twice and so far up to this date I don't have any problem. Take it back to the dealer and have them replace.
    Good Luck,
    Jim
  • Did anyone experience this problem? I was driving on the highway, a couple of days ago, and I noticed the ETS light (second left on the dashboard) being ON. It stayed like that eversince, when the engine is started, with the exception of 2-3 seconds right after I started the engine ytesterday day.
    I thought it may be a fuse, and this is how I saw in the fuse box that F22 coresponds to cruise control + traction control (ETS) + ...
    The fuse was fine, but this is how I got to test the cruise control, that I don't usually use, and found out it's not working anymore.
    So, please, if anyone had this problem before me, tell me, what should I expect if I go to the dealer? Is the diagnostic free of charge? This would be my first time going to the dealership with a problem...

Thank you in advance,
    Serban
    If your vehicle is still under warranty take it in and have thenm check it. I had aproblem on my BAS but not ETS.got fixed under warranty.
  • I have a 99 ML 320 and recently the fuel pump also died as I was trying to get the car out of the garage, I am so fortunate that I was not on the highway as "biker5" above! The dealer replaced it under warranty, however the other things - rattles in the rear door and the electrical problems (all warning lights go on for no reason, window motor dying, rear wiper motor quitting)I have had it with this vehicle & I am turning it in when the lease is up. This is my first Mercedes and I have really been disappointed by the experience. I am looking at Toyotas and VWs now.
    Lucky you, that you are still in your garage when that fuel pump failure happened to you. So you read my experience Huh!. But since they replaced mine I don't have any more problem...knock on wood.;-) anyway have the dealer fix all the problem, yours still under warranty right.
  • rpalabarpalaba Posts: 1
    Need information on ML320 2002. Inside air circulations turns off by itself every few minutes. Benz dealer says it is a feature, although it took a while for them to tell us it is a feature (over the weekend for the salesman). Can't find the feature documented elsewhere. Is this true?
  • mclass4mclass4 Posts: 3
    My new ML320 had a power steering leak and a faulty fuel pump after 11 days of driving. Anyone else heard of this happening?
  • don99lhsdon99lhs Posts: 9
    Last week my 2000 ML320 developed a tranny leak. It seams to be leaking around the rubber seal on the trans. pan. The bolts that hold the pan on seam a little loose but when you tighten them it leaks worse. What should I do?
  • rnursernurse Posts: 3
    Wow! I was really keen on buying a used, err uh, previously owned 2001 ML430. But after reading all this, I'm not so sure anymore. Is there a place where I can find out if there have been any recalls on this vehicle?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Check this Edmunds.com article for info:

Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, and Other Good Stuff

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    trying to sell my used ML320.
    Having by far the lowest priced Y2k car in the paper tells me these cars are not selling,
    because the only interest I get is people who want to pay $26k for a car that sold for over $40k just 2 years ago.

The dealer I bought it from offered $25k - and said only on a trade. I was so pissed off that
    I told him I would park it out in front of his lot with giant for sale signs on it and a price much lower than the $35k he asks for the very same car. The MBZ dealer thinks he adds value by certifying a car that is fully under warranty and has been meticulously maintained.