Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• msonntagmsonntag Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2003 ML500 Inspiration Edition. Tried to "train" two of the garage door opener buttons to activate each of my Genie garage door openers (one button for left door, another button for right door). I have a C-class that can be trained very easily to my doors, and I've never had problems with it. The instructions for training the ML500 are exactly like those of the C, but I can't get the ML to train. Any similar experiences? How did you get the problem fixed? Any suggests about what to try? Thanks in advance.
  • I need some advice ... I need to tow my boat from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and was considering installing a hitch on my ML350. My boat has a dry weight of 3500 pounds and the towing capacity is stated at 5,000 lbs. I'm a bit worried about towing close to the 5,000 lb capacity (boat + trailer + misc load) across PA since there are some fairly steep up-hill climbs coming out of Pittsburgh. Any advice on whether or not I should attempt this. If it were a flat route I would have no problem towing this boat.
  • chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    I misplaced our manual and wound up going to
    the MB web site which, after clicking on a few
    buttons, had instructions to program the ML
    buttons. The instructions worked fine.
  • mmhmmh Posts: 9
    I am considering purchasing an ML 350. I am currently torn between the ML and the MDX. Has the reliability of the 2004 improved over the previous years? The activity on this board has certainly slowed down.
  • oohaypuoohaypu Posts: 7
    My 2002 ML 500 had both problem described here.
    My brake system was changed around 5K because there was some squeak noise.
    Dealer said the problem was with the special circuit of brake system.
    Then at 20K now, dealer changed pad/rotor for $690 because they were worn out.
    That was a surprise to me because I didn't drive the truck that much and 90% are highway mileage.
    The gas gauge was changed around 15K and it seems to have problem again.
    The last time I only filled 16G when the needle pointed under the amber light.
    Normally, it needs at least 20 to 21 G at that position.
    I enjoyed the truck for only 1 year, after that, many problems showed up.
    I just gave the dealer a big list of problems on Monday. My truck is only in for the first Plan B service.
    Sigh, I wish I had chose Lexus LX470.
  • I had a 2002 ML320 and the dealer was *constantly* telling me I needed new pads and rotors. I'm convinced it's a freebie tactic they use to get you when you bring in your car for scheduled service or warranty work. Tell them you're going to get them double checked at an independent brake shop. I finally traded in my ML320. Too many problems.
  • adplusoneadplusone Posts: 66
    No Scheduled Maintainence With 2005 Models? I keep seeing this rumor that MBUSA will no longer include scheduled maintainence with the 2005 models...that they cost will go back to the owner.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
  • will1will1 Posts: 2
    This is 1999 M-class. One day the lock button on the driver's door is stuck down. May have been caused by using the key in the door at the same time someone else used the remote. Neither remote nor central unlock nor key nor pulling on the button would unlock it. The door did open from inside, but remained locked. The fix was to just turn the key really hard to unlocked position, that caused the button to finally pop up. Might be smart to use the back-up key for this...
  • chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    Our 2000 ML320 was in for B-Service and the service advisor called to say they recommended
    replacement of the fuel filter at 60,000 miles
    and the fuel lines which are now "new and improved". The cost quoted was $485.00. And,
    they couldn't just replace the filter because
    they don't supply the old style - the new style
    requires fuel line replacement.

I asked the advisor to double check the price or see if this was something M-B should pay for and
    nothing changed.

Has anyone heard of this?
  • gatortomgatortom Posts: 3
    In April 2001 M-B sent out Tech Service Information (T-SI-47,10/13) Subj: Installing Supplemental Lines for Large Capacity Fuel Filter with Pressure Regulator. The retrofit should have been done at the vehicle's next service visit after April 2001. I'm with you...they should have done it during the period when maintenance was free (i.e. before 4 yr/50,000). My 2000 ML 320 (65,500 miles) has been acting up on and off for two weeks+ and the dealer tech's haven't been able to sort out the problem. A non-M-B technician checked out the problem first and concluded it was the fuel pump. He priced the repair work at about $950. The other likely culprit is the crankshaft position sensor (about $350). We got stranded again today and towed it to the dealer again! On Monday hopefully, it still won't start so they can figure it out and fix it once and for all. I've been a good customer (two cars and all the repair work) and they offered to help with "after warranty assistance" if I covered about $450 of the cost.) We'll see how it goes.
  • she1122she1122 Posts: 33
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if or when the ML will come out with a diesel motor? I am thinking of looking at the Lexus 330 and the BMW X3 and not getting another ML, even though I have been happy with it. If Mercedes is going to put it out with a Diesel, I will wait

This gas price upward spiral is getting expensive!

p.s. I was told yesterday by a Mercedes dealer, that Mercedes will not pay for routine service on 05 Mercedes, after the 1st service. They will continue to pay for all warranty work but not routine service. those of us with 04 and older ML's under warranty will continue to receive the free services.
  • peter2peter2 Posts: 1
    The fuel gauge on 2001 ML 320 (about 61K miles) has taken on a life of it's own and unfortunately it has no longer has a relationship with the amount of fuel in my tank. I was advised by an independent MB service center that it was a problem with the sending unit but replacement of a lot of other things (like the fuel pump, filter and hoses) was necessary in order get a fix. The bottom line...about $900. He also advised that this was a common problem. Does anyone know of any TSBs out on this and given that this seems to be a recurring problem, is MB willing to make the repairs or at least do the repair at a reasonable price.
    Turns out that it was the fuel pump and the dealer covered half the repair costs (plus the towing charge). Only took three weeks to get it back. It worked fine after that for a month, but today the check engine light came on--Great, what next! Still love the car, but getting fed up with the repair costs (time & money).
  • halofanhalofan Posts: 37
    In the two years, I have owned my 2002 ML 320 (only 18.5K miles!), I have been in the shop at least 10 times. I've had the BAS/ESP light come on, this needed to be fixed 3 times, with the last being the ABS pump being replaced to resolve the problem. I've had 3 throttle cables, blower motor behind dash needing to be replaced, I've had seats that have bubbled, last week it was a relay switch in the A/c fans that stuck, killing the battery, I needed new front pads and rotors at 14K miles, $600...There is a rattle somewhere in the interior that I can't and the dealer can't find. Dollar for dollar, the ML has not been worth it, although I do admit, I do like the way it drives...
  • amarceliaamarcelia Posts: 1
    I have a 99ML. My current problem is body squeaks, mostly coming from the seals around the rear doors. I had this problem under warranty and they replaced the seals and it was fine for over a year but the problem is back. It squeaks when driving over any uneven surface.
  • don99lhsdon99lhs Posts: 9
    Today my check engine light came on. It appears my Mass Air Meter needs replacement. Has anybody done this before, themselves? I have priced the part through the benz bin for $290 with free shipping, is this a good price?

Thanks,
    Don
    2000 ML320
  • don99lhsdon99lhs Posts: 9
    Where did you find the mass air meter for $211. I found it at the benz bin for $290.

Was it easy to install?

thanks,
    don smith
    2000 ML320
  • rkurellarkurella Posts: 3
    I have a 99 ML320 which I took to the dealership for Flexible Service B. I also wanted them to look int the Check Engine light that lights up at random.

They charged me $89 for diagnostic and told me that it was the Oxygen Sensor that needs replacing and gave me an estimate of about $384.

Has anyone had to replace this Oxygen Sensor and if so, what is the price you paid for the replacement? Also when is it due for the Spark Plugs to be replaced?

Thanks.
  • jysimjysim Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the squeaking fixed? About how much should that run? I have a 99ML that's doing the same thing. It squeaks like a rusty hinge with any little bump in the road.
    2002 ML 320. Anyone familiar with a passenger seat sensor failure that causes the passenger side air bag to disable? We seem to get the SRS and ABS lights coming on and off as we drive. Is there a way to override the baby safe sensor so the air bag would deploy in an accident? (We would never think of driving with our grand kids car seats in the front.) The dealer said the passenger seat had to be taken apart to fix it (~$550). He didn't know if it could be reprogrammed in the computer.