Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Out of all vehicles over 6,000 GVWR, I picked the
    2000 ML320. The other choices at the time (and probably still) were the Suburban-class, Range Rover, and the large Toyota/Lexus. Of these, the
    Suburban-class had great space (which can be useful at times) but the others offered mostly
    brawn and great towing capacity. All pay the piper at the gas pump.

The ML, for my use (also real estate) was and is about perfect; mileage about 20MPG, nice handling in all conditions, comfortable, and safe. In our business we are sometimes called to visit vacant properties or "cruise" into neighborhoods with gate guards and "many eyes",
    and I could be wrong about this, but I feel that
    people are put at ease because of the Mercedes
    star... at least moreso than Chevy or Toyota makes. It makes a stressful or uncomfortable situation a little better.

Further, on a point I hope to never use, the safety aspect has several "heads"; one is that I feel that I have at least some greater measure of personal safety in case of accident, and second, I feel that I have done all that I can to protect any clients who are riding in my car ... I'd hate to be in a position where a client was injured because I chose a lessor car for my business.

I love our 2000 ML320 but really enjoyed a recent week spent with a 2004 ML350 loaner. The biggest benefit was the climate control - much better controls and much better rear seat air flow than my manual-controlled ML320. I do prefer the ML320 ride over the ML350 (this was a "Sport" model and may have been stiffer than
    the non-sport version).

Last, regarding accellerated depreciation, the current limit is $100,000 (up from $19,000 five years ago). But, I recently read about the number
    dropping back to $25,000 for SUV's. Check with a tax expert on when this tax code change becomes effective if you're planning on spending
    more than $25,000. If you elect to use the accellerated depreciation, know that the IRS has a negative mind-set on this unless you fit into
    a class of citizen that they feel should use that feature - and Realtors are not in that class. The IRS will audit you because of this one
    point so keep meticulous records on every other expense and income.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    chumsae,

You bring up a good point about the ML320. It is the gas milage. Mine consistently returns about 19K average for mixed driving. I have got 21-22 sometimes when doing some easy driving on the highway. My worst milage was 16 when I was stuck in New York City traffic for about two hours.
  • I also have this kind of hesitation. noticed it specially on changing lanes and needed the power to pull me through b4 the car slams on me. By the time the power kicked im almost finished changing. Had to brake quickly or else that high revin rpm kickin engine will get me to hit the car ahead. If this is similar...is this what they call sludging??
  • ahjmlahjml Posts: 5
    Hi

Yes I considered the Volvo XC-90 and the Land Rover Discovery but the pricing of the first one was above my budget limit and the second one did not have to much support from owners.
  • ahjmlahjml Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 special edition. Last night the lifting hock of the middle chair (to access the rear third row) broke when my kid was trying to lift the chair. Did anyone face similar problem and is it covered by warranty?
  • let me know ASAP please, thanks!!
  • Alignment machines are computerized. Ask them to provide you with the printouts that show the specs before and after the alignment. You'll see the different readings. You should also feel some type of difference in how the car steers or tracks down the road if an alignment was needed.
  • hi, i m having this problem with my ml320. i will be driving it and check engine light pops up and car start to shakes. u think that the air mass need to be replace.? i though the problem was the electronic motor for the trasmission. so i should replace the air mass meter? thank u
  • HI, CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WITH THIS. THIS JUST STARTED HAPPENING TO MY 2000 ML320, AFTER I REMOVED THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION THE RADIO STAY ON AND TWO LIGHT STAYS ON THE CLUSTER.THEY R THE SRS AND AIRBAG LIGHTS. THEY R DIMMED BUT U CAN SEE THEM ON. I NOTIFY MERCEDES DEALER CLOSE TO ME AND THEY TOLD ME TO CALL 1800-FOR MERCEDES INWHICH A GUY THERE STATED FOR ME TO USE ANOTHER KEY AND IF WONT WORK HE WILL SEND ME AN ELECTRICIAN BUT I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT, CAUSE MY ML320 IS OVER THE 50000 MILES WARRANTY. CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON THIS. I DONT WANT THIS PEACE OF SHUNK TO BURN OUT ON ME NOW. I STILL OWE ALOT OF MONEY ON IT SO PLEASE HELP. THANK U
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 397
    We have 52k miles on our ML320 and it's been in the shop more times than I can remember. The most recent was for the material on the A pillars delaminating and bubbling off the pillar. They replaced it under warranty. The engine and transmission have been great with no problems whatsoever, and gas mileage has been great, considering it's an SUV. It's been mostly trim items that don't seem to hold up. Front brakes pads were replaced at 45k miles. One ongoing problems we've had since new is slight shimmy or bounce when on the hiway at 65-75 mph. Even a new set of tires didn't correct it, and Mercedes service has looked into the problem numerous times. Now we find that one of the wheels has a slight warp to it, so it's back to the dealer to get it replaced. We have records going back to when it was new, so we shouldn't have a problem having it replaced under warranty. We are really thankful that we bought the 100K mile extended warranty, as it looks like we'll be needing it. The one thing we don't like now is we moved to another state, and the local dealer offers no premium services you would expect, like car washes when your car is serviced, or loaners, free bottled water, coffee and capaccino in a TV lounge. I guess we were spoiled at our previous dealer.
  • Hey NavyGuy you mentioned European Autowerks right? Thats in New Jersey Right in Edison? Well my girlfriend is having problems with her ml320 yesterday coming out of the parking deck i tries to clean all the salt from the windows by using the winshield washer sprayer, but after a while it didn't work, initially I though it was out of fluid but it was filled to the top. Now today during the middle of the snow storm upon starting the vehicle the washer works but the wipers won't. I was trying to look for the fuse box to locate it. Where exactly is it located? Also I too have heard that humming sound particularly when the weaher is cold, it goes awqay once the engine compartment is warmed up. Is this a problem because yesterday when it was cold and I started the vehicle I didn't hear it at all? Thanks in advance
  • Have a ML320. Windshield wipers just stopped working! Any ideas of the cause of the problem? Anyone know where to find the fuse box on this vehicle? Thanks!
  • Hey johnjon,

I took my 2000 ML320 to European Autowerks in Virginia Beach, VA. I haven't had any problem with the windshield wiper (at least not yet).

I've noticed that the fuse box is in the hood, just front on the steering wheel. I'm not sure if it contains all the fuses, but I do know that the fuse box is there. The mechanic pointed that out to me, because that's where my low humming sound is coming from.

Good luck to you.

Take care.
    Has anyone replaced the shocks on their ML320? Did you use the Mercedes brand or did you go with another brand? We have over 52k miles and I'm thinking the shocks are getting worn. I've noticed the ride is a little more wobbly lately, even though bump rebound seems ok.
  • The only answer I have regarding problems with the ML320 is to get rid of it. I have a 1999 model and I can't count the number of times it's been repaired. I am determined to trade my ML for another SUV this weekend! It's not worth the money, the time, or the headache to continue to drive this vehicle. Malfunction lights come on every two weeks for one thing or another. Does anyone know how to turn them off, just long enough for me to trade the vehicle at a dealership??
  • Hi ML owners, any body with the same problems?

I bought a new ML350 '04 with pronounced vibrations within first few hundred miles:-

Under 1000 miles, HBL Service said it is the problem with the front Dunlop SP 5000 tire - but HBL Service replaced the rear tire and front brake assemblies!

Around 2000 miles, problem continued - HBL service opined all MLs are like this!

Around 12000 miles, problem continued - HBL service attributed it to front brakes and changed them!

Around 15000 miles, problem aggravated - HBL service attributed it to all four Dunlop tires and changed them to non recommended under rated 105-S Michellen tires!

What to do now?
    Have they checked to see if all your wheels are straight, and not warped? Also, have them check all the body mounts. If one or more is broken or not applied correctly, it will transmit vibrations throughout the body.
  • DON'T DO IT.... I HAVE AN ML320 AND I AM STILL REGRETTING IT TO THIS DAY. IT IS THE MOST UNRELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER HAD. POOR DESIGN (POWER SEAT MODEL AT REAR OF FRONT SEAT) KIDS HAVE KICKED IT 4-5 TIMES, LAST TIME COST ME $450)
    TOO MANY ISSUES TO LIST. READ THE LATESTS RATINGS OF ALL MERCEDES CARS. I'VE BOUGHT GERMAN FOR YEAR AND AM GOING JAPANESE FOREVER.
  • I also have a 2000 ML320. Best think I can tell you is to get rid of it now. It is the worst car I have ever owned in my life. I have 16 pages of service history with MB right now. My car is in for the 5th time with powerseats won't work. I've had nothing but trouble with mine. I am finally selling it today,,, and mine is paid off.
  • Amen brother, I have a 2000 ML320 I bought new and I'm putting it up for sale today. i have about 18 pages of problems with the local dealership. It's waaaaaaaay too much trouble for a car I paid $40K+ for. I will never buy another MB again.