Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Dear hatmbs,
    I did not notice any stopping power. I did notice that the transmission shifts were bit rougher. I couldn't take the loud beeping alarm sound while the car is in motion. I love the car, but I got rid of it three weeks ago. Now, I'm driving in serenity provided by a certified Lexus ES300.
    Good luck with your ML.
  • My 2001 320ML Has 34000 Miles on it. I put Winter tires every year about 4months. So, my regular tire have even less milage on than 34000miles.
    I was at the dealer last week to get my regular tires back on, they told me that I need new set of tires which is about $550. I didn't get to see my tires since they keep it for me at their place for the winter. My original tire which came with the car was General brand. Dealer said the one they gonna put on for $550 is Continent which in their opinion last longer than General brand. I'm wondering that if this sounds normal or not?
  • Don't do it. The best tires for ML320 in my humble opinion is Michelin SUV Cross-Terrain (can't remember the actual name). I got them at tirerack.com. Just go to the website and enter your vehicle information and it will give you all the tire choices. I replaced my tires at 45,000 miles (mostly highway miles) and I immediately noticed the ride difference. Highly recommend reading the reviews on the website to get a better idea of what people think of the different tires.
    Good luck.
  • chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    Ditto on Michelin Cross Terrain. I bought our tires at Sam's Club for
    about $150/each.. Much better than the OEM Dunlops. Very quiet,
    excellent road feel and 65K warranty.

I think we now have about 40K on them and they appear to be good as new.
  • Hi, I have another question.
    I am really hoping to get some advices here...
    I don't really care for the moon roof or some other added fancy options. But I'm confused. What will be the MUST HAVE options?
  • mcaleermcaleer Posts: 11
    I have a '99 ML 320 with 70,000 miles. Occasionally, the car noisily vibrates. Dealer couldn't find any problems with drive train. The problem is getting worse and more frequent. Now, it includes a clicking sound when turning and pulling. Are there known problems with CV joints?
  • Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a 2000 ML 430 with 56K on it. I have reviewed the service records and ran a carfax and all is well.

However, I have read several posts that makes me think perhaps I should go with another vehicle.

Please advise me on what I should be concerned about.
  • halofanhalofan Posts: 37
    Well, this area of the board is typically filled with unhappy owners, or former owners, me included. You might well be suited to go to another area if you want to hear good things about the ML because I in good conscience, couldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone. You should be doubly concerned with this particular year as well as the fact that this vehicle is out of warranty.

Don't let me persuade you, heck you don't even know me, but I don't think the ML is a good bet :( . See my post about 3-4 up for the littany of problems I encountered in my 3+ years of ownership with my ML. Good luck with your choice.

Halofan
  • Not sure if you had the answers already but for low range to work you must first put your ML to "N" neutral and then press the low range button and select drive. Do the same to deactiveate since you will not pass the third gear on low range.
  • Diesel is avilable for Europe only, though there has been talk about sending the diesel to US to market for a more powerful and more fuel efficient ML. The problem is emissions may not be up to US standards so for the next few years don't expect the diesel engine to be on the new ML just yet. Funny as it may sound but the brethern of the ML the Jeep Liberty will have a diesel engine coming up later this year.
  • There were over 1000 new redesigned parts for the 2002 ML. This is the year where they have made major changes to the body drivetrain, suspension and the interior. I have a 2002 ML320 with 60K miles and so far so good. The only thing I replaced were the front gas shocks which were covered under warranty.

If you are thinking about getting the 2005 you should get significant discount since the 2006 are out.
  • The fuse box is located in the engine compartment. Open the hood and look to the right of the engine and the fuses are within the black box.
  • Well, the ML is engineered in Germany but it is build in Alabama. I also have a 2002 ML with 60K miles and the only thing I had to replace was the front shocks and ther were covered under warranty. From what I read on the bulletin board, either they love their ML's or they hated it. I suspect your ML was put together on either a Mondat or Friday.
  • The Conteinental tires have long been in Mercedes line up, especially the ML. These tires are very quiet and the tread will last given that you inflate them with the factory recommended pressure (F29 and R29 for regular load and F32 and R39 for maximum load. With these tires you want to have them higher than 29 though. (I have mine at 30F and 37R) For $550, darn good price for a set of four tires that can last up to 50K.
  • I have a 2002 ML320 and I did replace the front shocks at 56K miles under warranty. The shocks are gas filles so you may have a leak. I noticed the wobblyness you described and yes it still go over the rough pavement OK but you would notice that the car will lean a bit more on turns. My advise is tha :) t you drive it over a speed bump in a faster speed and if you notice that it bottoms out then you will need to replace the shocks.
  • No not sludging but the fact that you have a 215 HP on an almost 5000 lbs. The engine does have plenty of power (but not too smart) so next time when you need to pass someone, just take advantage of the automatic trasmission. Upshift to 4 and shift back to D after you have finished passing.
  • halofanhalofan Posts: 37
    If I only had to replace the shocks, then I'd still own the car...There is another 6 - 8 things that went wrong with the ML when I had it but I won't bore you. I must admit, I loved how it drove, heavy, sure-footed but I just couldn't believe that I was driving a car that cost 45K when new and had SO many problems. And obviously I'm not alone with some of the negative posters on this board. LOL about the Mon. - Fri. build, probably true though.
  • wannalnwannaln Posts: 4
    I understand your frustration mercpaully, I have ML 430 yr 2000 and I get really mad when some parts break down... and sometimes I wish I had other cars like Lexus. Toyota, Honda, etc... but you know what!!! ...it is always greener on the other side, ... when you get there... (guess what?), ... it is probably "brown" like your side! :)

Look at what the "other" guys are complaining about their cars: -

Volvo XC90
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef21566!make=Volvo&model=XC90&ed_makeindex=.- ef21566

VW Touareg
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef24552/0

Toyota 4Runner
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef19330/40

Lexus RX 330
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef22a65!make=Lexus&model=RX%20330&ed_makeind- ex=.ef22a65

Honda Pilot
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0e957/0

My philosophy right now is to be positive, ...enjoy the car as much as possible!...
    If it is broke fix it!... period.

Thanks and enjoy your ride!... :)
  • miket99miket99 Posts: 6
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=8576541

Separately, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said DaimlerChrysler AG (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) (DCX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) is recalling 7,191 of its 2006 model-year Mercedes M-Class sport utility vehicles because a clamp that secures the power steering fluid cooling hose may be defective and could cause a loss of the fluid.

This could diminish power steering and lead to a crash, the NHTSA said.
  • exo425exo425 Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 ML320 with 36K miles on it. it has been a really good and reliable truck but i just found a problem on it the other day. when i went to pop the hood on my truck, the hood release popped but the hood did not release. does anyone else have this problem? if so tell me how i can fix it.