Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have ML-500... It is asking security code for radio, but when I try to enter it on the numerical keyboard, it doesn`t want to accept any digit... I have the exact code, how to enter it?
  • vasiljko,

I had the same problem 2 days ago, I called the dealer and he gave me the wrong code, so when I enter it thru the keyboard it keep on saying WAIT. Then I called the dealer again this time he give me the right code. But my MCS still tell me to wait, then the dealer told me to put the key in the ignition for atleast 1 hr and max 24 hr, then it will ask you the code again, so after 1 hr it ask me again , this time I put the right code and it took it.
    Radio is working now.
    Try calling the dealer if it dosent work.
  • Freshwater,

I didn't undrestand should I only left the key in the ignition or it should be on the first or second level of contact?
  • It should be ON like a level before the car start.
    They called it in ON position. Where you can see all the lights comes on the dash board.
  • Hi! I know that a lot has been written here about the sludge but I just want to clear a few things for me. I own a 2002 ML 320 with 54k miles on the clock and recently I noticed a strange deposit forming on the oil cap. It has a coffee-and-milk color and is definitely wet and oily. My first thought was my engine has blown a head gasket but now I am not sure. My antifreeze level is not dropping (at least not in a noticeable way in about two weeks) and my oil level is not rising. Oil in the dipstick is the blackest kind of black (I've seen a blown head gasket before and oil on the dipstick was coffee-and-milk color and oil cap deposit was more like a froth in a cappuccino). My last oil change was about 12k miles ago at my local MB dealer and my FSS still shows 1800 miles to the next A service. Also there's nothing dripping from my tailpipe and it is dry. In the light of all that head gasket failure seems less likely to me now. I was not aware about that sludge problem but now that I've read about that on this forum I start to think that this might be the case. I wiped out my oil cap but 2-3 days later this thing showed up again. I am a little puzzled now. One mechanic told me that all this FSS and 12k oil change intervals is a big B.S. and I should change oil every 4-5k miles, not every 12k miles. He told me to do an engine oil flush and see if the thing will show up again and watch the antifreeze level closely. I've also read about a class action suit extending engine warranty in some 1999-2001 MLs - what about 2002? Another piece of information - when I bought the truck it had 40k miles and I only changed oil once at about 42k during a scheduled B service. I believe it was serviced my MB dealer because all service until 50k miles is free so who would go elsewhere. Any advice on what might be the problem? Might it be the gasket? The sludge? Should I get rid of the truck while it still drives OK? Thanks for all the help!
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    The free oil change is only up to 36k miles. What kind of engine oil did you use for the last oil change? Full synthetic oil must be used on MLs.
  • Actually free service on 2002 model is included as long as the warranty is not expired (4 years or 50k miles). Last time I serviced it was at the local MB dealer so I presume they used synthetic oil
  • What is a fair price to replace a passenger side mirror. In my case, the mirror, casing and inside electronics need to be replaced. I have a 2002 Mercedes ML320.
    I remember there was a class action against MB oil sludge problem back in 01 or 02. The settlement was that MB offered 8 yr or 100000 mile warranty on the engines. I'm certain this covers the V6, not sure about the V8. You may want to call MB service for more details.
    I'd say you are looking at $500 or more. To replace the mirror costs about $100 (parts + labor). The casing is about $150 without installation. I don't know how much the mirror motor costs. Check with a local bodyshop. They can give you a better estimate.
  • The cover of the towing eye (the middle large rectangular one) in the rear bumper of my ML320 was lost in an accident. I have been searching to buy one to replace it. Any information would be appreciated. I live in the washington DC area.
  • rayml320rayml320 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 ML320 , FOR SOME RESON THE TEMP GOSE UP FROM 80 TO LIKE ALMOST 85 .

IS THAT NORMAL FOR A ML320.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE NORMAL TEMPERATURE FOR A ML320.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Is that temperature in degrees Celsius?

tidester, host
  • levanenlevanen Posts: 1
    The 'check eng.'light came on and the 320 runs a little rough. the m-b dealer said it could be the air blower,$1100.00 I declined, the car then started to run fine and the light went out . Today it came back on, running a little rough again. I called a garage that does m-b work. The tech said it could be a sensor in the fuel - inj. system. Might only cost $300.00 to fix. Who do I believe?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Lots of auto parts stores will read the codes for you for free; may be worth a shot to see if something turns up that way.

Steve, Host
  • kblankokblanko Posts: 1
    I live in Accra, Ghana and drive a 98 ML320, which has been generally reliable. Lately, it has developed a serious problem in its transmission. It won't shift out of 2nd. My mechanic thought initially that changing transmission oil and filter would fix problem, but that didn't happen. He now tells me that the clutches have to be changed. This is a big ticket fix, so I want to make sure that he's got the diagnosis right. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of a problem?
  • mcqueen4mcqueen4 Posts: 6
    I have 3 different tires suggested:

Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor - $818.39 installed, tax, etc.(70,000)

Bridgestone Dueler H/T = $768.61 (60,000)

Cooper Hercules Terra Track SUV - $622.53 (60,000)

All three tire stores claim their brand was rated #1. Looked at many sites and came here.

Love my ML and won't let hubby trade it in for a BMW.
  • gm1120gm1120 Posts: 22
    I have a 350ML, I purchased a stock 500ML tires and rims to put in my ML (it's much nicer looking).
    Can someone please tell me how much tire pressure the ML 500 have. Thanks!
  • crzyaimcrzyaim Posts: 34
    Can some one tell me how/where you load the DVD's on the rear seat entertainment system. I have not actually seen a unit and wanted to know how this works. Also can you hear the DVD through the sound system or only with the wireless head phones? Also, how many DVD's does the unit hold? Any information would be grateful. Thanks.