Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz M-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• My 2002 ML320 has 1700 miles. I started having paint problems approximately two months ago, on both fenders, driver's side door and all over the hood, especially close to the windshield. What I'm about to tell you all is like a nightmare.

When I first noticed these chips they were like water spots. These water spots slowly bubble up and crack open. I can see all the way to the metal now. Dealership claimed that only way to take care of this is to paint the hood (hood was the first place where paint started bubbling)and this would be covered under warranty. After days of driving back and forth, wasting time on the phone I agreed. Car came back looking really good. I was ready to forget about this small problem and enjoy my new ML. 2-3 days later, believe or not the spots came back and eventually paint starting chipping again. This time on the fenders as well. I called the dealer to make an appointment. The service rep tried to give me the address and the phone number of the paint shop they used! Yes, you are reading this correct. Anyway, I managed to make an appointment. This time they said the southeast rep for MBUSA will be there.

Well, MB rep called me on the phone before my appointment and asked me what the problem was, and once I explained him over the phone, he says "since it's already painted, it's an issue between you and the dealer".

When I went to the dealer, this time, MB rep, service manager, service rep, salesman and a few other people were present. They looked and looked... and decided to paint it again. When I showed them paint problems on the fenders and driver's side door, service manager said the fenders were painted in the first time! Without my knowledge, and continued to tell me that the paint shop might have done a bad job. This is my brand new 2002 ML 320 that we're talking about, please do not forget!

This was approximately two weeks ago, since then dealer offered me a new car, asking for $9000 on top of my car. I said no, not a single penny. They have persuaded me to have the car painted a second time, because I simply had no choice. I said yes, one more time.

Well, I just got my ML back on Friday. It is absolutely horrible! They (paint shop) spot treated (painted) all those chipped paint spots this time. There are spots where it looks like they used a brush. I did not drive off the dealer's lot. I asked for the GM of the dealership. I really do not want to make this a novel, so I'll try to finish it quickly. After some very rude comments, he (GM)suggested that he will take a hood, fenders and a door from any same color car I want on the lot, switch parts with my ML and he will make me a happy customer. Is this unbelievable or what? I told this GM that I would never switch faulty, painted parts with another car, and make my problem someone else's problem.

I've been in touch with MB - Montvale, New Jersey. The rep on the phone immediately asked me to not to deal with the dealer any more and get in touch with the southeast rep again. I'm in the process of meeting with him. If he takes too long to get to my city, lemon law is just around the corner. I love the ML, but HATE this dealership.

BP
  • wep2wep2 Posts: 6
    sj9197
    Contemporary Motor Cars, Little Silver, NJ
    Talk to Terry, great guy, have your Edmunds $$ figures with you. Just had a great experience w/service department, too. Had some minor problems fixed (warranty covered), got a great loaner car E320. email me @ address in my profile.
    wep2
  • rio5rio5 Posts: 1
    SO FAR IVE HAD MY POWERSTEERING HOSES BUSTED AND REPLACED...HAD MY ABS SYSTEM REPLACED ...HAD MY FUEL PUMP AND LINES REPLACED...HAD AN ABS ETS SWITCH REPLACED...HAD CHAIR MOULDINGS REPLACED COZ THEY GOT CRACKED INTO PIECES...NOW THEY CANNOT FIND WHY MY ENGINE GOES INTO LIMP MODE WHILE DRIVING IT.. WELLL THEY ARE LOOKING INTO THE "AIR MASS METER". i DO WANT TO TRADE THIS IN. DO NOT BUY AN ML NOT RELIABLE. GOOD THING I GOT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR ELSE ILL BE SPENDING A LOT OUT OF MY POCKET AND OF COURSE A LOT OF TOWING AND STRANDED EXPERIENCE.. I REPEAT DO NOT BUY AN ML ..I DONT THINK THEY HAVE PERFECTED THIS...JUST BUY THE SEDANS.
  • janoojanoo Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your ML. Would you mind telling me what year your ML is and what extended warranty you got on the car, was it a merecedes warranty or an outside one? Did the warranty cover everything. Reason being, is that I just got my ML320 2003 2 weeks back and I need to keep an open mind is to what headaches if any, that I can expect. And if Merecedes extended warranty fits the bill or any other extended warranty. Any feed back you give me would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Janoo
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    It's a good idea to get MB's extended warranty. Just like getting a new car, make sure you negotiate for the warranty price.

I have a 2000 ML and have experienced some of the problems mentioned in post #46. Leaking steering system, broken seat molding, broken glove compartment, bubble armrest, misaligned fuel door, + the worse... melted roof insulation. There was glue all over the roof lining. It took the dealer about a week to replace the lining.
  • janoojanoo Posts: 15
    thank you for the feed back, I appreciate it. I have decided to go with a MB extended warranty, even though it is costing about $250 more than a Heritage bumper to bumper warranty. I feel that I will be able to sleep a bit better, with this type of warranty.
    Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your ML. When did you discover all these problems? Hope that they were covered under the original warranty.
    thanks
    Janoo
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    MB ext warranty gives you a better (or should I say a more "honest") coverage. One other thing to keep in mind... you can only take your car for service during the workdays if you have an outside warranty company (usually don't open on Sat & MB service advisors can't verify your warranty coverage). With MB ext warranty, you can have your car serviced anytime. Also, MB will cover you up to 8 yrs while most of the private warranty covers only up to 7 yrs. Make sure you bargain for MB warranty. Don't pay the full price.

Actually, I expected the ML to have a some probs even before I bought the car. Knowing the ML is the safest SUV on the road (govt crash test, roll over, off-side impact test) is enough reason for me to make my decision.

I enjoy and LOVE my ML. Hope you will too =)
  • Reading unusually many problems ML series have, I start being scared by my plan to buy an used MB (a 1999 ML430) the only one I can afford. Seemingly everybody keeps the car only for the period covered by warranty. So if the original 4 yrs warranty is gone for the one I liked, could I buy extended warranty (for 8 year-coverage you talked before) if I buy it ready used? Is buying pre-owned ML430 a bad idea? Someone was mentioning better a Kia than MB, which is very scary. At their price, the MBs should last better longer not just 4 years. And not 8 years either. I had/have a 30 year car: a 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula (classic "muscle car"), and never had problem except for the random stopping by police because of its shining yellow with black stripes. But I cannot use it going uphill to the little PA house I have just bought during the snowy winter. Please clear me up re: extended warranty on purchases of used cars (still under factory warranty) and about how much they cost to buy. Thanks.
  • This discussion in FWI has been archived, but you may glean some useful info from it.

Used Car Warranties

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• jjjgongjjjgong Posts: 2
    I just had maintence done on my 99 ML320 before our vacation by Atlanta Mercedes dealer RMB. The dealer charged:

$365 for spark plug change
    $389 for fuel filter change

Is this what peoples been paying for?

Thanks,
    J.G.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    Check the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for service cost in your area.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• njexpressnjexpress Posts: 170
    Brilliant white, with Java leather, M1, Sunroof, Bose and heated seats (no special paint;0) )
    40,000/= even, including tax, title and registration. Very courteous servie except for some "attempts" at the very last moment that got ironed out amicably.
    Cheers!
    njexpress
  • I own a 2000 ML320 and have been very dissapointed with the vehicle. I have had all the classic problems listed on this board. In the last 6 months: Air sensors, catalytic converter, sun roof, windows, rear wipers, check oil light, check engine light, etc. etc. Mercedes has really dropped the ball with this vehicle. However Keeler of Latham NY has been great. The are always polite, apologetic and prompt. They always have great loaners and fit me in almost immediately. They are making a potentially horrible situation into a bearable one. I am looking to trade the ML for an E class w/ 4 matic.
  • I bought new ML320 2000 it has 51k miles, the wife drives it. It has been to the dealer so many times I cant recall.

The dealer refuses to sell me another car, and MB in 2000 sent me a 3k refund check for my troubles with the vehicle.

Im skeptical of the MB mechanics.

The wife wants a new ML500.
  • khoonkhoon Posts: 84
    just curious, what are people paying for the ML350 these days?
  • h2fanh2fan Posts: 27
    Anyone? No one is buying these any more?
  • bill3bill3 Posts: 1
    Could anyone suggest me what would be the fair price to buy '98 ML320 in Toronto? My neighbour wants to sell it. Mileage: over 100k. Don't know much about the car. I also hear that many Pros and Cons about this car. Any other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks, Bill in Toronto
  • carcarcarcar Posts: 19
    Just in case anybody's looking for a ML350 in Southern Wisconsin, right now International Autos is selling theirs for $5000 below MSRP!! Thought it was a good deal, although I'm not in the market.......additional information check the Milwaukee Journal!
  • sahar516sahar516 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to value a 2004 ML 350 with miles on it? I am looking to buy, but don't know how to rate it with 4-9k miles on it. The guides only go up to 2003. There was one with 7500 miles on it, with the comfort, trim, & sunroof pkge along with heated seats. The price was $35995. Was that a good price? What about one with 5500 miles, Comfort, trim, sunroof AND the entertainment pkge. It lists for 37 or 38? Is this a good price. How do I negotiate ? Do MB dealers haggle??