Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid--Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• kalliekallie Posts: 2

The difference between reported savings and actual experience is sort of sad. But it's probably similar on the gas-guzzling side, too.

• bobbo12bobbo12 Posts: 1
    I have had my sonata hybrid a little over a week, but my mpg experience has been quite good. In Interstate driving I am getting a little better than 40mpg per the onboard computer. In city driving it does somewhat better.The gas gauge seems to correlate to the computer, so I am fairly confident in these numbers. I am highly pleased!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,967
    bobbo12 said:

I have had my sonata hybrid a little over a week, but my mpg experience has been quite good. In Interstate driving I am getting a little better than 40mpg per the onboard computer. In city driving it does somewhat better.The gas gauge seems to correlate to the computer, so I am fairly confident in these numbers. I am highly pleased!

Just need to double check those gauges by doing the calculation when you fill up. The onboard computers are handy, but I always feel more sure about their accuracy by filling up, driving most of the tank, filling up again and dividing the miles travelled by gallons at the last fillup.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oceang2oceang2 Posts: 35
    edited October 21
    GAS MILEAGE CONCERN-
    Hi folks. I'm new to the hybrid. I just bought my 2014 HSH last Thursday. I love it but I'm concerned about something I didn't recognize a few days ago. Friends.....Please advise me.

For the 1st couple days, I was getting amazing gas mileage and then after about 225 miles I recognized something strange. When I would accelerate from a traffic light or up an on ramp, the mpg gauge in the center of the dash would go all the way down to 5-10 mph. Also, the EV gauge on the far left shoots up during this moment almost to the red and then returns like its supposed to.

Quite often over the past couple days, when I would accelerate with the gas pedal even during normal driving ( not coming from a stopped position), the mpg gauge would constantly go under 25 mph to around 10-15 mph and then go back up after I release the gas a little.

When I'm level and at a set speed the gauges seem to act as expected. Yes, when I coast, the car gets great gas mileage. Question- Is this supposed to react like this and go all the way down on the center gauge and almost up to the red on the left side of the dash?

Please help advise me as I'm concerned that there may be something wrong already. Thanks.
    I sincerely hope not.
    oceang2 said:

Please help advise me as I'm concerned that there may be something wrong already. Thanks.
    I sincerely hope not.

It doesn't really sound like anything is wrong. The mpg number that you see going lower is the instantaneous mileage number. That DOES go down when you step harder on the gas. Doesn't matter if you're accelerating from a dead stop or accelerating while you're already moving. You're using gas faster while you're accelerating. Don't get hung up on the instantaneous mileage number. For one thing, it's not safe to drive while trying to pay attention to that. My newest car is the first I've had with computer mpg readouts. The average mileage readout is a much more useful number. I use the overall mileage performance as a gauge of the "health" of my vehicles. Any sudden or large change in mileage MIGHT be a sign that something is going on. Most times it turns out to be a not quite the same fill up level, but once in a while it might not be.

But again, it sounds like things are working normally for you. Don't drive yourself crazy by "chasing the needle" :)

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

oceang2 said:

Thanks

Keep us posted on how things go for you. Coming into the cold weather season so we'll all be taking a bit of a mileage hit soon enough!

2»