Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• cfg1cfg1 Posts: 85
    I have a 2003 Ford Focus ZTS. I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer DEH-P5500MP, 22w * 4 RMS. I also replaced the 4 speakers with Infinity Kappa 572.5cf 5x7.

If I want to upgrade this system, should I get a subwoofer, or should I get an external amp to drive the main speakers?

I would like to spend no more than $500. I am more interested in clean sound at moderate volumes, than in very loud volume.
  • granolajgranolaj Posts: 10
    I recently bought a 2002 Focus wagon with AM/FM/Cassette, and I'd like to upgrade to a AM/FM/CD (MP3 would be nice, too). Can anyone suggest an upgrade? Also, does anyone know where I can find out what OEM systems will work for my car? I've seen the Blaupunkt in 2003 Foci; will it fit a 2002 Focus?

Thanks.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Go to Crutchfield.com and you will be able to see exactly what aftermarket systems will fit in your Focus' dash.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Posts: 116
    They sure are! Not too much trouble to install. We got an '04 ZTS a month ago - now it has 2000+ miles on it (here in Texas it's REALLY HOT so we have to keep moving). Ford says it's not available, but if you look up an '03, Purolator lists a filter. I got it at Pep Boys for $11.99. The plenum (just below the windshield) splits in two about halfway across. Pull up the seal that butts up against the hood when it is closed. Now there are 3 clips along the front of the plenum grille that need to be carefully unclipped. Once that's done the grille lifts up and out from the fender side end. Beneath that is the intake. Remove the plastic frame on the top of the intake that has the 1/4 holes and discard. The filter element sits down inside the remaining plastic box. Replace the grille and seal strip and you are good to go for 15K mi. Happy Motoring!
    I have a Passat that has a sunscreen in the rear window. It rolls down like a window blind. I would like one for my '04 Focus ZTS. Has anyone ever seen such a beast? I have looked all over. Thanks from Sunny Texas (HOT!!!).
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    Thank-you for your input.
    Coincidentely a bunch of service coupons came from my dealer this week. For the first time there was one for a "cabin filter inspection" Under this special they will charge me $5.00. That sounds just about right, keeping in mind the procedures which you outlined. BTW, what kind of a filter are we talking about here, a simple screen or a HEPA type material. ? I'm up here in Northern NY alot of allergens. I do not need to run the A/C that often except on hot days when traveling on the highways. the 2.3 motor handles the extra load of A/C very well.
    So far about 8000 miles on car. No Problems. I think that the promotional people at FORD do not know how to market this car. In my view, the promotional material should emphasize somthing to the effect that the Focus is made "for an environmentalist who (secretely) loves to drive."
    The filter element is not like the fiberglass filter in you homes' heater/AC system. This is more like a pleated "paper" element, 'tho I would imagine it's more "plastic" than "paper" - perhaps polyester.
    Don't look for any benefit to your allergy condition - except less dust (no charcoal/no HEPA ). Actually a whole lot less dust, since our '04 2.3 PZEV came w/o the filter - just a large ( about 1/4 inch ) screen to keep out varmints like mouses.
    We don't fell badly about driving this car here in Texas ( about 60mi/day ), it is A LOT "cleaner" than most anything you see in the DFW area ( SUVS, pick 'em ups, mommy vans ). Also, when we need to merge, or "heaven-forbid" pass, we just step down and let it rip. We don't pass much, since we try for great mileage ($1.669 gas) by driving 60mph. We get passed by everyone else like we are sitting still. We just leave earlier and it's allright.
  • is just what it says - inspection, and upon inspection they'll suggest that you should purchase the airfilter and will charge you in the area of 40$ for it, plus the 5$ inspection charge. I sugest you buy air filter on the web, or in pep boys, for about 10$ and install it yourself. Probably a good idea to change it out about every 6-10 months, mine got dusty in about 8 months and started to block the airflow (or so it seems). With those frequent changes (the part is cheap from the web) you'll save a lot of money relative to dealer, or even fast service Lube places (35$ a pop there). You can do it at fast places first time, to observe whats involved in the procedure, doubt dealer lets you be present during any repairs.
  • Hi Alyosha 73,
       Just how important is the cabin air filter? Many of us drive with the windows open, and the filter is bypassed. The impression I got from the parts-counter person is that Ford may remove the filter and not bother replacing it. The thinking being that it is better to have an unobstructed air flow than a dirty clogged filter that hasn't been changed in 5 years.
       I changed one on my son's car, but I had trouble replacing the gasket on the bottom of the windshield. I have yet to replace the cabin air filter on my 2001 focus. The air still seems to come through the vents unobstructed.
            Thank-you for your helpful message.
                   Lou
  • embaemba Posts: 2
    Antenna to long cant fit under garage door doesnt telescope strange cant back out without catching ?
  • Rarely do I hear complaints of some items being too long. Have you considered a bigger house? Maybe if you let the air out of the tires. How about opening the door a little farther? Hmmmm.

I guess there is the much shorter alternative aftermarket antenna mast available nationwide as well as at that certin online auction website. Don't know the radio reception will be affected 'tho with a MUCH shorter mast than intended. I guess time will tell. Maybe if you catch the mast enough times it will break off at the dotted line.
  • is there any way i could hook up a sub into the 2002 svt focus without changing the radio (6cd), i dont mind splicing wires, and why does the stock sub have an inpit of six wires? got to love factory :) any help would help
  • 05focus_s05focus_s Posts: 1
    Hi. I just bought a new 05 Focus 4 door, S model. It has a nice but standard 1 disc am/Fm radio. I has an AUX button on the front, and I'm wondering how I can use this? Where is the input? The owners guide doesn't say anything about this. I have Sirius radio and I'd like to plug it in if it has RCA jacks under there, but I don't necessarily want to pull the dash apart to find out. Thanks, Allen.
  • This hurts as I have been driving Fords exclusively since 1982. However, I have less than 2200 miles on my new Focus SX4 ST and the CD player has failed. I was playing MP3 files when it spit out the CD with an error code of "Bad CD." Subsequently, every CD that I try to load, even commercially available music CD's get rejected as "Bad."

It is a recurring problem as documented here and elsewhere. My dealer said that they would have to send the unit out for repair or replacement - will take three weeks. I called Ford customer service and was told that they could not help. It is a new car, I am a loyal Ford customer, and it is their premium "audiophile" unit. Am I being unreasonable to think that three weeks is too long to wait - hell, the car is barely three weeks old. I would have hoped for more from Ford. Apparently, loyalty to the company is a fool's game. If Mr. Ford is serious about turning his ailing company around, customer service and product accountability will need improvement.
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    The supplier of the audio systems has had them on back-order due to the high number of defects as listed in TSB 05-10-19 that affects not only Focus, but also Fivehundreds, Freestyles, Mustangs and F-150s. I just had mine replaced in the Freestyle and it took 3 weeks to get the radio in from the supplier. Although it is in a Ford product and they have responsibility to replace it the problem lies with the manufacturer of the radio, NOT Ford. A little patience and then everything will be ok.
  • Thanks for the info - much more than I got from Ford. My son has a 2003 Focus with the audiophile head and is on his second replacement after only 25,000 miles. Can I assume my replacement will be free of defects, or will I receive another unit likely to fail? I have had Ford products ranging from my current Focus to a Lincoln and have a sense of brand loyalty. Of course, it helps that my brother-in-law just retired after 33 years at Ford and my father was an engineer there. Nevertheless, it's frustrating to get the run-around when all you want is some information. Thanks for taking time to point me in the right direction.
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    My new radio/CD changer seems to be working ok, but it's too early to tell since previous problems seemed random. I'll be able to tell after a long trip this weekend. My daughter and her husband both work for Ford in Dearborn and I currently drive a Freestyle and thinking about trading in a Subaru for a Focus for my wife.
  • Good luck with the new unit. I took my Focus to the dealer Wednesday as there is a small paint problem that they are fixing. I suggested they leave the old radio and order a new one - swapping the two when the new one arrives. The service manager said he couldn't do it - that Ford would not allow it. I then pulled out the TSB with affected build dates and specific problems outlined. After a lot of huffying and puffying, he agreed to order a new radio - although said they may be on back order. If so, he would have to pull the unit for repair. I pick up the car this afternoon and will find out if there is a hole in my dash.

I'm not sure why this has to be such a struggle. In fairness to Ford, this has been a dealership issue. Like you, I have many family ties to Ford and am thankful for all of the A-plan purchases I have been able to make. I may be moving back to Michigan soon. If so, maybe I'll have better luck finding a reliable dealer.
  • nycb4enycb4e Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my new Focus. I've been waiting over 3 weeks for a replacement. Ford customer service is a joke. They admit having a problem with the vendor yet failed to do anything about it... they can't even give me an estimated time for repair. I told them "dealing with ford is like dealing with a gov't agency.. everything is outsourced with no accountability... will never buy another ford".
    BTW, after 4k miles driven only get 24mpg... not the sticked claimed 27-32

Mad as hell. Sorry I have nothing positive to offer.