Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Honda Civic and Accord Battery Drain

2»

Comments

• mrgraves1mrgraves1 Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Hello, i was thinking about leasing a 2013 honda civic, how much did you put down? How much was the final price? how much is your monthly payment? Also how many months is the lease for? Sorry for all the questions just inquiring, thank you!
  • Hello im interested in leasing a 2013 honda civic, anyone can give me advice or information. as far as how much is your monthly payment? how much did you put down, how many months is the lease for? all information will be appreciated thank you!
  • In Dec 2012 I leased one. Final monthly payment after all taxes etc was $225 for 36 months. Down payment was $2500. Kicker is the $.30 per mile after 12000 miles per year.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
    This discussion is about a battery drain issue on Civics & Accords. You'll have better luck getting feedback on your leasing question here:
    Honda Civic Lease Questions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Well, the way the discussion is titled, it could be about the 2012 Civic OR the battery drain issue. So technically the OP is correct.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
    Sure, but he's looking to lease a 2013, and it's not that he's not welcome to post here; just that the lease questions discussion is pretty active and he'll get more feedback there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• frabrofrabro Posts: 1
    We have all experienced multiple dead batteries . Our dealers know the problem exists . They are sympathetic, without squabble they replace the battery and get reimbursed by Honda. Honda is getting hit with battery costs from all over the world but is cheaper to ride this out until the warranty expires and then drill us on any more batteries. Recalls are expensive and hurt brand name so government pressure is the only answer. But who we contact with the clout to help us? Please do not say no one will listen.
  • lakerskobelakerskobe Posts: 31
    My 2013 Civic LX often sits for 3-5 days without being driven but starts right up every single time. Bought it a little over a month ago and love it!

Maybe the culprit could be the security alarm, since it is standard on all 2012-13 Civics except the DX I believe.

The only problem I have is mice making the engine compartment their home... made the battery their bathroom...... my dam cats need to catch it before it starts chewing on the wires!!!!!!!
  • smithb08smithb08 Posts: 1
    The girlfriend and I were having the same problem. Lost two batteries before we had it die a third time and the ignition was locked as well. At first the dealership claimed that the car was dead because someone broke into the car and damaged it and refused to honor the warranty. Then they took it apart, specifically the steering column. The mechanics discovered that the ignition was responsible for the slow power drain that none of their systems could detect through the computer. I didn't understand exactly why this blind spot existed but the short and the long of it was the ignition was sitting in a constant low intermittent draw state. Hence why it would die after more than 48 hours of sitting still. Since then, about 2 months ago, we haven't had a re-occurrence. We just left for a week and the car sat the entire time, started up without a problem. I have no idea if this is an isolated case or not, but it's something.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,691
    Glad they finally found the problem but it sucks that they always blame the consumer first off instead of just doing their job. Luckily they had someone smart enough to go through the system and not just rely on their "computer" as computers are only as good as the person using it! Overall, I've been pretty pleased with Honda and how they've handled the few issues I've had with my
    '06 Civic. Still think they should've reimbursed me the full cost of the tires and a/c repair but I took what they offered as something is always better than nothing!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Glad there is some info about this online. I have a new (since last Aug 2013 Civic that i am taking to Honda in the am bec the battery has died for the third time. Nothing was left turned on so I'm interested in hearing what the diagnosis is. I'll update this site with their reply.
  • We have a 2008 Civic that has 32,000 miles on it. We do not drive much. Last November, 2012, the battery was dead without warning. The Dealership told us that it was 4 years old, and dead. No problem, we paid to have another OEM Honda battery installed. Last week, we did not drive the car for 6 days straight. On the 6th day, the battery was dead. This battery is not 1 year old yet. On Civic forums, many, many people are complaining about their batteries going dead. I suspect that the very small size of the battery in these cars has a lot to do with it, but I also suspect that there is more than average parasitic draw. We have a CompuStar auto-starter installed, and I am certain that this adds to the draw, but a car should be able to sit for much longer than 6 days, without issue.
    Tomorrow, I will call the dealership as we are due for an oil change anyway. My guess is that they will pro-rate the battery and sell us another one, at some discount. This will not solve the problem, but I am not optimistic that they will hear out, and act on what I have read in this thread and others.
    Unfortunately, the easiest way out for us is to sell the car, and buy a Toyota. I will contact Honda, though, and explain my concerns to them, if they will listen.
    Good Luck to everybody with a Civic!
  • smyleesmylee Posts: 1

Hi from AB. I noticed since buying the civic, May 2012, my battery never seemed charged the car always starts but seems not right. Last week received a recall notice seems the computer system is not charging the systems properly and i have till dec 2014 to take care of it. So tonight i took my very reliable charger and hooked it up to the battery and sure enough it's only charged at 57%...now the battery is probably screwed from never being fully charged. You know whats funny...Had a 2005 dodge dually diesel one ton Brand New in 2005 had the same problem.

• jrfiedjrfied Posts: 1

I have a 2012 Civic EX-L. I had a dead battery after driving 25 miles and parking for 15 minutes. This was during a 75 degree day, so the lights were never on! I got a jump and drove to the dealer, who found no electrical problem and claimed the battery checked out OK. The car has not failed to start since, however it turns over more slowly than normal after sitting overnight.

• Hi smylee, did you get the charging problem fixed by the dealer? My wife's 2012 civic had the dead battery-charge-works-for-a-week-dead-charge, etc. My charger says the battery is good and it holds the charge. However, the alternator charges at 12.5 volts and not 13.6 volts as my miata does. What is the recall problem?

• palmtreezypalmtreezy Posts: 1

Hi there sorry for the delay in answering...the answer is NO the recall didn't fix anything as a matter of fact it's worse now than ever. After sitting in the heated parkade for 3 days over the last weekend, I started the car Mon afternoon but it didn't sound good. So I too called the dealershipo and they've never heard of such a problem. And I too called Honda Canada and was equally met with an uninterested person who really could've cared less.This is very frustrating! I have to say this Civic has been the worst piece of [non-permissible content removed] I've ever owned. I can see nothing but problems coming. STAY AWAY from Honda I will post again after Fri appointment

• sonicmavensonicmaven Posts: 5

Honda for sure has made a bad batch of batteries........see the 2013 Accord/Civic posts for more up-to-date troubles

• chrisfl17chrisfl17 Posts: 1

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!! It's the ECO mode!!!!!! Make sure to TURN OFF your ECO mode BEFORE you turn off your car. It took me countless times and research to just simply figure it out on my own since it would only not start random times. Well those random times..my ECO mode was on! When you turn on the car whether it starts or not, notice that the FIRST notification that comes up on the screen is "ECO mode ON" or "ECO mode OFF" Make sure it is OFF before turning off your car or you will have to get a jump.

2»