Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• jlsflajlsfla Posts: 4
    depends on the size and weight of Kayacks. I think you could carry the bikes but not sure how much it would block rear view. the SUV certainly has alot of pep and I don't doubt it's ability to hold it's own in highway(70-80)MPG driving. Hopefully there are more new owners out there that do more sports related activities such as you than can help more...over all i think it's going to be a really good choice and competition for Toyota and Honda when people know more about it.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    nice write-up. Keep posting updates please!

interesting to me, because my wife is looking at options for her next car (to replace an Odyssey too), and really liked her test drive of the CX-5.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• How does Mazda's AWD systems compare to Subaru's?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    Mazda is a front-wheel-drive platform with AWD being an additional feature. Subaru has a symmetrical AWD that is built-in to the vehicle. Subaru's system is superior to Mazda's, but if you are not planning on taking the car off road or drive in deep snow, the Mazda should be just fine. If you want more robust and rugged AWD ability, Subaru is the better choice.
  • I thought that might be the case, but without any "evidence" to back it up. I love the fact that with my older Legacy Outback, snow is not a concern after a snowstorm. I'm worried that if I got the cx-5 awd, it would not perform the same way.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    edited May 2012
    I'm worried that if I got the cx-5 awd, it would not perform the same way.

Truth be told, 95% of people cannot tell the difference between a full-time AWD system (like Subi or Audi) vs a FWD bias system or a RWD bias system. Only people who drive in extreme terrain or extreme conditions might see a difference.

If you are a normal commuter who sometimes gets stuck in a snow storm, you won't feel a difference. I have owned Subaru's and other FWD bias AWD systems, and I never noticed a difference. If anything, the tires on the car have a bigger influence than the AWD system.

Mazda uses their Active Torque-Split AWD system, which is FWD bias. The system assess wheel spin several times every millisecond and reacts before you even know what is going on. The AWD system does work extremely well in snow. I would not be worried if I were you. If anything, the Sport and Touring models will probably be better in snow because they have 17" wheels as opposed to the 19" on the Grand Touring.

If you still have concerns, check out this video. Can you tell that it is FWD bias? I sure can't, and it has the 19's on it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_br1csmmTGI
  • angitheriasangitherias Posts: 35
    Thanks for the link, Ive been looking for some like these with little success.
  • sj1955sj1955 Posts: 1
    jlsfla....I am currently looking to purchase the CX5 also and been doing alot of research about towing and roof rack. I have found the roof rack weight limit to be 100 lbs on all CX5....if you have the ability to tow your kayaks the towing capability is like 3500 lbs. I want to have the ability to do both since I often take off for camping/kayaking trips....maybe I will be able to get all my gear inside and just the kayaks on the roof....that would be great. How are you liking your CX5...I'm going from a Jeep Wrangler to the CX5 because of gas prices.
  • 62vette62vette Posts: 17
    I was at the dealer on Monday and there was a cx-5 with a roof rack. The sales guy told me 250 lbs on the rack. Probably BS. I was also quoted a lease 3400 more over the life of a lease than an advertised lease I saw at a different dealer but out of state. Oh well.
  • What is the price everyone is paying for the CX5's?

Dealers in So Cal are quoting $500 off MSRP.
    My local guy has grand tourings at 2000 over MSRP. Stated the wheel manufacturer is so far behind they won't get many more GT's for a while so they need at least $1000 over MSRP because they want one on the lot.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    Supply and demand sucks when you're buying something that is in demand. MSRP does mean "suggested retail price". Dealers can charge more or less based on their market conditions. I wouldn't buy the dealers story about wheels or tires though. If there is any fluke in the supply line it is quickly fixed with alternate suppliers. Only if there is some kind of major hiccup in worldwide raw materials availability should there be a prolonged drought due to tires or wheels IMO.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    http://fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

No haggle dealer above with bunches of them for $1,800 under msrp. There are deals out there. They even suggest you can get a lower price when they say "lowest we can advertise call for lowest price".

Local guy is out of touch. Buy elsewhere.
    Funny thing is, the one thing I DON'T want on the GT is the gigantic wheels! I actually thought about (if we decide to get one) to try and have the dealer swap them out, and in trade get some other accessory like roof rails.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

He had the model I wanted, still in plastic from shipping and quoted me 3400 more on a lease than I saw online. I live in California, the ad was in New Jersey, where do these differences come from.
  • It's pretty bad out here in SoCal right now. No dealership is selling below MSRP. Not sure how long this will last. :mad:
  • slj333slj333 Posts: 4
    I am considering a new CX-5 and there are a lot things I like about it. Like many others have already shared, I really wish they were offering AWD and a Manual Transmission. Since they are making me choose, I will have to go with the Manual sport version.
    I live in Minnesota where salt is used on the roads in the winter. I have seen Mazdas that are only 4-5 years old have corrosion issues here. I am wondering if Mazda has figured out this problem?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The wheels are the culprit for the lack of GT inventory, plus I think Mazda under estimated the demand for the GT's in the first place. Honda has the exact opposite problem for CR-V's, the LX and EX are selling better than the EX-L's. Dealers want more of the lower trims and are loaded with EX-L's.

We are doing full MSRP too, no ADM. I have no GT's left and I won't have any until July. I have a load of Touring models on the way. Mazda converted many of my GT orders to Touring's with technology package and moon & bose.

I have 3 CX-5s in inventory (Sport 6-speed mtx, 2 Touring's) and only 2 due here before June that are not sold.

I did actually buy one myself :shades: It's actually for my wife. It should be here second week of June. We got a Touring AWD model with moon & bose plus the tech package in black mica and black cloth. It's time to replace our 05 Mazda6 5-door. My wife wants AWD again.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    Guess I have to stand corrected then. With all the suppliers out there eager for business I find it a little disconcerting that a manufacturer that is in desperate need would lose sales of high profit models to other makes just for the lack of some wheels.

Congrats on your new purchase. I thought you were looking at a red GT model originally.
    not that anyone listens to me, but they should make a bunch of GTs with a delete option for the wheels (basically ship them with the T 17" wheels).

when I looked, the GT had certain options I wanted (seats mostly, not sure what else now!), and the big wheels would have been the necessary evil to take to get that. I actually thought of trying to have the dealer swap them onto a T, and give me a credit of some kind. So a GT with the T wheels, for less, would be perfect for me!