Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Let's hope so - they need a good seller. Most of their cars are made in Japan and the yen is probably killing them.

The Yen hurts pretty bad right now. However, Mazda claims they saw this coming and revamped their production process, amongst other things to illeviate the drawbacks of the Yen. For example, all SKYACTIV engines, of all displacements and fuel types, are build on the same line. I believe they all use the same engine block, and a motor can be made a diesel or gas on the fly.

Mazda's CEO said candidly that the success of their compnay depends on this car and SKYACTIV technology.

I think the product is there, they just need to market it better.
    No disrespect taken :shades:

I think it's safe to say there is general excitement in regards to the CX-5. I hope it does well. Mazda really needs a shot in the arm with a new product and this could be the start of something really special for them.

Lets just carry on with our discussion. Afterall, that is what we are here to do!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,990
    they just need to market it better

Oh oh, that's what they said about Isuzu, Mitsu and Suzuki. :confuse:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• edo65edo65 Posts: 2
    It is very disappointing that blind spot warning system is not available on 6 speed M/T
    :cry:
  • I like this vehicle because it gets class leading fuel economy and still is competitive in terms of acceleration even though its motor has fewer hp/torque than competing small CUVs.

It also has class leading rear seat room, and among the nicest interiors in the segment, and it has a ton of standard equipment for a MSRP of about 20k.

The Mazdas we've owned have been bulletproof.

We have a 2009 Mazda 6 with 58,000 miles with nothing but oil/filter and coolant/brake fluid/transmission regular interval changes - not one problem.

I have a 2005 Mazda RX-8 (that is allegedly unreliable) that has 109,000 miles, and all I've done is regular maintenance (I have kept the oil topped off at all times). The car has consumed 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of brakes and drives like new. Even the clutch and stick are snickety snick and there are zero rattles in the interior. Even the original HID headlights are still going strong!

That said, with the CX-5, because of some pretty nifty and new motor tech that's part (just a part) of the skyactiv system, and because this motor is a high compression unit, for those worried about reliability, it may be wise to wait a couple of years, because this is not an evolved Mazda motor, but an entirely new one.
    Was this tech all developed in house or was some developed with Ford? Per Wikipedia, Mazda still makes some engines in the US at two or three Ford facilities.

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,048
    I guess if everyone took your advice and waited a couple of years Mazda would go broke and that would solve that problem. ;)

Seriously, I agree to some degree but I think automakers put drivetrains through a lot of testing before bringing something to market these days. There can be just too much instant negative PR that comes with the internet, news, etc. Since this new tech is so crucial to Mazda's future I assume they tested pretty thoroughly but because it is so crucial did they hurry it???

If I were to buy one these I might consider looking at getting an extended drivetrain warranty. I don't often recommend getting any kind of added warranty but this tech is pretty new and Mazda really has to have a winner with it. So I'd probably consider it in this case.
    edited February 2012
    Was this tech all developed in house or was some developed with Ford? Per Wikipedia, Mazda still makes some engines in the US at two or three Ford facilities.

All SKYACTIV technology was developed and built in-house by Mazda. In fact, Mazda has been sitting on the technology for a while while it was refined and perfected. Ford has known about it, but did not want them using it while they were still partners. Development of SKYACTIV started in late 2007 and early 2008. The Ford-Mazda split did not come until October 2008.

The Ford-Mazda relationship had its good and its bad. The good for Mazda was cash flow, the bad was Ford stuck their nose in every part of their business, something Mazda did not like, which was part of the reason for the split, among other things, including Fords own interests. They were going in different directions, so it was best for both. I believe both are better now then they were back in 2008.

No Mazda engines are built in the US. There are a few, a small few, that are built in Mexico that are used in the Mazda6, but the majority of the Mazda6 engines come from Japan as does every other Mazda engine.
    Since this new tech is so crucial to Mazda's future I assume they tested pretty thoroughly but because it is so crucial did they hurry it???

From what I have been told, it was not hurried to market. Development started almost 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure the technology has been put through the paces, but sometimes things pop up that were not visible during testing.

I've always been a fan of extended protection plans with everything I buy. I like protecting my investment.
    "As Mazda prepares its new CX-5 compact crossover for an April debut,"

Just read this over on cars.com. I thought it was a lot sooner. I suspect a mistake or a typo here. Can you shed some light????
    I believe both are better now then they were back in 2008.

Ford sure is. Not sure about Mazda, but it has a tough standard to live up to after my mom's near perfect Protege. Mazda doesn't seem to be handling the CX-7 and CX-9 complaints too well, just going by the unhappy camper posts in those boards.

It appears the Feb. time frame is correct. Cars.com corrected their article.
    Mazda doesn't seem to be handling the CX-7 and CX-9 complaints too well, just going by the unhappy camper posts in those boards.

I understand with the CX-7's, but I have not heard that much negative chatter about the CX-9.

Mazda has never had the best customer service when it comes to problems out of or in warranty. It is something they claim to be working on.
    Yeah, you're right. The problems are mostly with the CX-7. Good to hear they are at least giving lip service to improving customer relations.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,248
    It's a nice package...

One thing my son noticed, who is 6'3":

"Mom will never go for this.... the sill is too wide and it's hard to step into.. "

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Which car show did you go to that the CX-5 was open to the public? I just went to Chicago show just got over yesterday and they were all locked up.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,248
    Cincinnati

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited February 2012
    "Mazda doesn't spend a lot of money advertising its cars. If you drive a Mazda 3, it's almost certainly not because you saw a commercial and got all interested, and more likely because you heard about it through positive word of mouth. Nothing wrong with that unless you want to sell a ton of cars.

Now Mazda is about to launch the CX-5. Its driving dynamics are stellar, but this all-new crossover is not on any non-car guy's radar. Mazda needs to change that quickly. And the company is trying something new."

Mazda Recruits Dr. Seuss to Advertise 2013 CX-5 (Straightline)

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    I don't see where this is a problem. Mazda has always been the domain of "car guys" and their friends and family. Joe CR-V owner is more than likely not going to get why he should dump his magic H-mobile for some small manufacturer from Japan (and think about that concept for a minute). After all, CR-Vs get the best fuel economy and have the best ride comfort and room and ergonomics and everything else, so says that "H" on the front of the car, right?

If they make the wrong move they could end up with a lot of jilted owners, which is a really bad thing marketing-wise. And marketing a sporty compact SUV to people used to things like RAV4s and Equinoxes and CR-Vs might not see the advantage to razor sharp handling...though they might be annoyed at how much stiffer the suspension is.
    edited February 2012
    We received our first two CX-5's this evening. I have not driven one yet but my first impression is this car is bigger than I thought. The interior build quality is phenomenal and much more attractive in person. I really like it.

I will post back tomorrow after I drive one. So far, I'm impressed with what I see.
    Yeah, please include the color combos on the ones you've got.
    I have a Stormy Blue with Sand leather Grand Touring AWD model and a Touring AWD model in Liquid Silver with the tech package and moon/Bose package. Both colors are currently available on other Mazda's.
  • Dealer in Oklahoma City got two in today - Sky Blue and Black Mica. Thes two are already sold along with three other pre-orders just today. They look very nice in person - better than the pictures.
    edited February 2012
    Hey everyone,

I had the opportunity to drive the Cx-5 for a good amount of time today. I drove a CX-5 Grand Touring AWD.

I am going to start with my observation to the question I think everyone has...."does this car have enough power?". The answer is yes. It is not a rocket by any means, but it is not sluggish either. I would say it feels quicker than the 2012 CR-V LX AWD I drove last week.

One design characteristic I noticed is the overly firm accelerator pedal. I believe this is the reason why many reviewers have stated the car feels sluggish, unless you floor the pedal. The accelerator needs a good amount of pressure just to depress it, similar to a BMW. Actually, it's even tougher. Since a good amount of pressure is needed just to depress the pedal, it gives the driver the feeling that you are exerting a lot of energy just to get the car to move. Once you get used to the fact that you need to press hard, you adjust and realize the CX-5 actually scoots along fairly quickly and feels pretty agile without the engine screaming. I think it feels this way because the pedal is not conventional. It is actually mounted on the floor rather than hanging from under the dash. In any event, more power is always welcome.

I set the cruise at 70 mph and did about 5 miles on the highway and it was virtually flat. The MPG readout was showing 32mpg. Again, this was an AWD model.

The engine is very smooth, non raspy and very, very quite. The transmission does feel different than in the Mazda3. It is obvious there are some differences in the gearing. It really feels like a dual-clutch tranny but with low end power and smoothness. If there was someone who came from one of VW's DSG's, they would think this was a DSG, but more responsive.

Wind noise and road noise were minimal. The seats are comfortable and supportive. What I found really interesting was the massive amount of head and leg room in both the front and rear with a moon roof! It's the weirdest thing. The overall height is virtually the same as the CR-V, but the seating position is lower. I could wear a hat and it would not hit the roof, even when equipped with a moon roof. You really don't feel like you are in a SUV or CUV. Leg room is outstanding for this class. I positioned the front seat as if I were driving, and I still had about 3 inches between my knees and the back of the front seat when sitting in the rear and I am 6'3".

The handling, steering and braking all were very "Mazda like". Even though the car has electric steering power assist, you wouldn't know it. I don't know why no other manufacturer can figure this out.

Overall, I find the car impressive. Out of the several people today to drive it, they were all impressed. They all mentioned it was bigger inside than it looked from the outside. The styling is captivating in person. The front end is so nice to look at, especially given the hideous front end designs Mazda has blessed us with over the last 3 years.

It is obvious this is the new way Mazda will be building their cars. Build quality is top notch. Materials rival what VW uses, and in some cases better. The car just feels very high quality.

I don't see how this car is not a success for Mazda. Exactly how many they can sell in a given year is to be determined, but Mazda would be very successful if they can push 80,000 - 100,000 a year. That may not sound like a lot considering top rivals sell upwards of 150,000 - 200,000, but Mazda is a small company. It does not take a lot to be profitable.

I'm looking forward to other reviews here. I know I can be a little bias at times because I work for the company, but I tried to be as objective as possible.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,683
    How does the usable cargo room compare to say the CR-V? not just floor space, but height below the window line?

That is often a big drawback in an SUV or CUV (especially an AWD). the load floor is very high, and I have obsession about not packing higher than the sight line to the rear window (or the height of the rear seats). In a minivan, that is not usually a problem!

The CRV actually has a reasonably low load floor now.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

First of all, thanks for the thorough write up. Little confused, you said the tranny feels different than in the 3. Isn't it the same transmission but possibly a little different gearing? Why do you suppose the gas pedal is that hard to push? Are they trying to make you sip gas? Why didn't they just use the same gas pedal setup as in other Mazdas?

I just received an email from my local Mazda dealer that they have several in. I need to take our Mazda6 in for oil change and 75k service in a few weeks. Think I'll take advantage of my wait at the dealer with a test drive!

With gas prices shooting up it looks like Mazda's timing with the best MPG of any CUV/SUV will help get this baby moving. I wish them good luck especially with all the financial stuff that's in the news.
    Little confused, you said the tranny feels different than in the 3

It felt like it shifted quicker than in the 3. Also, the gearing different, not obvious, but still noticeable. I have lots of driving experience in the 3 with the SKYACTIV-Drive, and it does not feel the same. This is not a bad thing, though.

Why do you suppose the gas pedal is that hard to push? Are they trying to make you sip gas?

I don't think is has anything to do with sipping gas, it is just a hard pedal to push. Let me try to be more clear....it seems as if the fuel/pedal position ratio is normal meaning the pedal position is in good relation to the amount and response you witness, but is it is just hard to press. As of right now, I have no idea why this is. I will have to do some investigating. You get used to it rather quickly, though.

I just received an email from my local Mazda dealer that they have several in

They most likely have 2 Mazda protocol was for every dealer, no matter how big or small, received 2 at the same time. I doubt they have several.

Definitely go check it out. Its pretty nice. I like it.
    I know what you mean in regards to the CR-V. Honda did a great job in managing their cargo space. The CX-5's is as deep (tail gate to rear seat), but I think the CR-V's goes deeper into the floor.

The cargo space in the CX-5 is pretty good though. The rear seats are rather high so visibility should be adequate if you pile stuff up. Still, probably a bit better in the CR-V.
    After roughly 80 miles of test drives, the CX-5 Touring AWD we have is averaging 27.5 miles per gallon. Considereing test drives usually include a little "let's see what this car can do" type of driving and the EPA average is 28, I think the mileage to date is very good. I would not be surprised to see an average of 30 at some point.

When driving at 70, the fuel computer was reading 32mpg. When driving at 60, the fuel computer was reading 37.5. Now, I have no idea how accurate this computer is, but if it is even remotely close, this car gets amazing fuel economy.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    This is the slushbox version? That's nearing Impreza territory, only with more power than an Impreza. What percentage city and highway? Interesting how drastic the drop is between 60 and 70...