Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• Based on my experience your concerns about the paint are well founded. I have had mine since March 2012 and there are so many little rock chips that I am amazed. No peeling or blistering yet. I understand there is a 3M process that can be put on to act as an invisible bra. Other than that it is a great car. 28.6 mpg average for 16,000 miles.
  • I've had mine since July 2013 and I've had no issues with the paint.I have the extra cost white.
  • If you do plan to purchase the "clear bra" option, I'd highly suggest looking at 3rd Party auto shops. Shop around to see who is offering the lowest price and ask to throw in like 2-3 year warranty on it (worth a try) but if you just want to get it done fast and money isn't an issue, than the dealer option is perfect haha.
  • I have been told the seats in the Cx5 do not heat , unless its 63/68 degrees outside. Is anyone else having this issue!!! This is why I wanted leather.
  • 2013 CX-5 Grand Touring, bought new on 12/31/12. Has about 7000 miles on it now. I live in suburban area, drive it mostly on the throughway, No gravel roads or construction zones. While detailing for the winter, on close inspection of bumper and hood found hundreds to thousands of small white divits in the clearcoat. This in spite of careful care and keeping waxed with good products, even installing the optional hood deflector. Took it to the dealer who said "not a defect" and directed me to take it up with Mazda Consumer Experience. Mazda opened a case file. Did not call back as promised. When I called them they said the "case was closed" because the dealer found no defect. This in spite of opening the case after the dealer sent me to MCE (customer service). Said I would need to open a new case and get it looked at by an authorized Mazda dealer, same as before, or other.
    What DOES constitute a defect, if not thousands of defects in the clearcoat of a car not yet 1 year old? Suggestions of how now to proceed?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bkobsobkobso Posts: 4
    We recently purchased a 2014 CX5 with the tech package/Bose audio. Supposedly the system has a feature that allows you to receive SMS messages on the NAVI screen. we have followed all directions available from Mazda, have no problems connecting my phone via Bluetooth to use the phone or play music through the sound system. However, the Bluetooth phone system is also supposed to be able to download your messages so it can read them to you. Every time I go through the Setup feature to Messages--> Download Messages I receive an error message "Message Download Failed. Please try again later."
    for those that want to see how is supposed to work here is a video http://youtu.be/qg-LFDF1-gE
    BTW- the cellphone being used (HTC One X) is in the compatible list found on the Mazda website.
    any other experiencing this issue?
  • bkobsobkobso Posts: 4
    when we started looking at compact SUV's one of my main goals was to have decent handling, gas mileage and day to day tech comforts . This little SUV just begs to pushed around the corners, so much that I wish the GT version was available with Manual tranny.
    I recommend the HID lights if you will do a lot of night driving, they are really easy on the eyes.
    for its size is very roomy, excellent URBAN SUV. if you are looking for something more attuned for long range driving I would have to recommend the CX9.
  • Potential Mazda CX-5 shoppers: BEWARE! Mazda paint is the worst I have seen, and I have had Opel, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Jeep, GMC, and Saturn. Only 6500 miles on the car and the clear coat is as pockmarked as the face of the moon. Mazda Service manager response: "there's no defect; this is normal wear and tear. I can't do anything for you, I don't know you didn't drive it behind a semi or other truck. You can take it up with Mazda Customer Service if you want." It has been over a month, they closed the file (by accident?), advised me get a second dealer opinion which I did and they shot him down. My 178,000 mileage Jeep paint looks better. My husband's 220,000 mileage Yukon looks better. My Mazda is brand new but embarrassing but look at... and Mazda reiterates "there's no defect."
    DO NOT BUY MAZDA. We fall in love with cars before we buy them, then discover what they really are. You Will Get No Help From Mazda.
    Wish I'd bought that Subaru.
  • Its amazing how two people can have 2 different experiences with the same manufacturer. We have put 22,000 miles on our cx 5 and we have no paint issues at all except for a problem from a bad detailing which the dealer fixed for us.

Our friend has had her mazda for 2 years and also has no paint issues.

I could not imagine how a clear coat could have that many things hit it in order for it to look like the face of the moon in 6500 miles. it would have had to be there from the beginning as a factory defect. that is more likely.

I would keep complaigning to mazda customer service.
  • I started buying Mazda's because I noticed how good the finish was on old protégé's and 626's.I have a CX-5 with the extra cost white and after 12,000 miles don't have a issue with the paint and I live in a State (PA) that decided to tar and chip roads instead of laying down blacktop.That being said,I've read a couple of other comments like yours in the past and I don't have the answer.
  • hondalovahondalova Posts: 189
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. We bought 2014 CX-5 Touring in the extra-charge Soul Red (my hot wife in her hot red car!) and have had no paint problems whatsoever thus far. I wonder if the difference isn't whatever the upcharge paint gives you that is not in the regular "free" paint color choices. My bet is the upcharge is an additional or thicker coat of clearcoat or a baked enamel type of paint or some similar combination. But our paint is still looking fine.
  • gillbgillb Posts: 30
    The general tone of the reviews here on Edmunds are that this car is everything from fun to beautiful to extremely reliable. Yet when I read other Mazda Forums I'm overwhelmed by the number of people finding that the car, especially the 2.5L Touring is finicky at best in terms of gas grades that it will run smoothly on, has an A/T transmission that seems to give a lot of people heartache, idles strangely, revs by itself when its not supposed to and has a number electrical warning light issues that Mazda seems not to want to acknowledge.

So, just in general, seems to have a lot of issues that someone used to Honda CRV reliability and driveability without some kind of steep learning curve would not be used to dealing with.

Any thoughts or experiences from those more knowledgable then I on the subject?
  • I agree with you. As a former audio engineer, the Bose audio in the CX-5 is a disappointment. If you listen to AM talk radio, it actually sounds like speakers are out-of-phase which is VERY annoying. High quality CD audio is acceptable but highs sound grainy and artificial--decrease treble by "-1." And they have the bass EQ set too high--probably to "wow" the uninformed. Decrease the bass by "-2" to make it listenable. I was never a fan of Bose (nor were any audiophiles); this system only reinforces my opinion. Mazda would have done better working with Infinity/Harmon, Levinson, or any audio company that knows how and uses good loudspeaker drivers and engineering techniques instead of silly artificial sounding digital processing. (Audio DSP is good when used properly but not to correct for cheap parts.) I would have preferred to get the stock audio and modify but I wanted the sunroof and had to take the option package. Next time I'll know better.
  • tenfourtenfour Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    I only own mine (2.5, AWD) for 3 weeks but so far, so good. I haven't read many forums yet. I'm picky about my cars, I also have an '03 RAV4 (super reliable) which provides a benchmark. I like the way the transmission in the CX5 shifts, idle has been very smooth. My Mazda3 and RAV4 always ran better on plus grade fuel, so I'm continuing using plus in my CX5; I'll experiment some more with fuel grades later. (Hondas that I've owned did not run better on plus grade; regular was fine. Just to mention, my last two Accords were junk--so much so that Honda lost me as a customer.)
  • boutselisboutselis Posts: 19
    edited November 2013
    Your statement is not very true.
    I'm guessing you didn't go to forums about other car models. When we were shopping for a sport cross over I looked up the customer reviews on the cx5 and went to the cx5 forum. I saw some complaints. I then noticed I couldn't find a car without complaints about it.

The honda crv has many problems and complaints. Consumer affairs has customer reviews with 49 serious complaints about the crv (consumer affairs problems) They do not have a file on the mazda cx5. When you look at the crv forum there are many more complaints there then when you go to the mazda cx5 forum. I just looked at both out of curiosity again after reading your post.

I remember all the sport utility crossovers had various issues but after looking again I would say the crv has more reliability concerns than the cx5 if you are going by the reviews.

23,000 miles in one year and still love it. averaging over 30mpg by tank to tank milage check
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    " The honda crv has many problems and complaints. Consumer affairs has customer reviews with 49 serious complaints about the crv (consumer affairs problems) They do not have a file on the mazda cx5. When you look at the crv forum there are many more complaints there then when you go to the mazda cx5 forum. I just looked at both out of curiosity again after reading your post. "

I have to agree. I owned a 2003 CR-V for three years and it was great, yet there were lots of issues then, including engine fires and A/C compressors blowing up - but I had no problems (got a good one, I guess). One also has to remember that Honda sells a lot more CR-Vs than Mazda does CX-5... so there are more Honda's to report on

2012 sales (US Only)
    CX-5 43,219
    CR-V 281,652
  • gillbgillb Posts: 30
    edited November 2013
    Its funny you tend have a perception based on your own experience even if that might be unique. I had two CRVs, both were near perfect.
    I spoke to a Mazda dealer about these issues I saw on another blog of dedicated Mazda owners. And what he said was, that they did have some problems on the 2013s and a firmware update corrected those. And that the the new 2014s have the software update already installed at the factory. Its a plausible explanation given that all the Edmund's reviews of the 2014 are positive where as these slightly older blog entries I was reading were probably 2013s.
    Its undeniable I think that at least as far as their CUVs Mazda has definitely taken the lead in terms of technology, especially transmission and the 2.5L engine. So there is a part of me that hates to buy into old technology especially if I have to live with it for 3 years e.g. Honda.....and yet there is the comfort going with something familiar. It looks like you took the leap and are satisfied with your choice.
  • Now that you mention it we were slated for a software or firmware (or something like that) up date. I think it happened a few oil changes ago.
    But what ever the problems were never occurred in our car so the update was a mute point
  • We just completed a few thousand mile round trip between San Antonio and a couple of state and national parks in Utah in our 2013 CX-5 AWD with automatic transmission. It continued to perform flawlessly on whatever gas we found along the way. And trust me, at one point as we drove through a remote area of New Mexico on the way back, we went through one town on the highway that looked like a ghost town with no operating gas stations, and the next town was only a little better -- two gas stations (in a 200-mile stretch of highway) were open and selling gas, but neither one had running water so their restrooms were closed. Doesn't sound like the kind of place where the gasoline for sale would be considered "extra fine quality". But the lowest grade of gas which was what we bought at one of them caused nary a hiccup in our CX-5. In fact, our gas mileage on this trip was the best we've seen since we've owned it. We routinely got over 30 MPG on the highway, even though I seem to have topped out at about 28 MPG when driving long distances in Texas (say between San Antonio and Austin or my trek from San Antonio to Ardmore Oklahoma last January, and back).

I will say that the best way to lower your gas mileage in this vehicle is to take advantage of the 75 and 80 MPH speed limits on the roads we travelled between Texas and Utah and back. At 70 MPH or less the MPG stayed above 30 MPG, and even sufficiently high that some segments of 75 and 80 MPH speed limits brought the MPG down, but often not below 28 MPG before it was time to refill the gas tank. I guess there were enough small town slowdowns, road construction slowdowns, and idiots blocking the 2-lane segments of our drive at 15 or 20 MPH below the speed limit that we seldom drove at 75 or 80 long enough to cause the MPG to plummet. The engine purred like a kitten all the way. No idling problems, no rough running, etc., no matter what gas we used. And our dealer has never offered to do any kind of firmware upgrade, nor did we know (at the last service visit) to ask about one. Maybe they can make my baby perform even better!

My only complaint about the drivetrain is that the transmission seems to downshift kind of roughly sometimes if I am on the highway at a high speed limit (like 75 or 80) with the cruise control engaged, when I come to a hill or something that causes the car to need to make some more horsepower. I don't doubt that the circumstances call for a downshift, just that it seems to slam into gear (downshifting two gears at once) kind of harshly and rev up the RPM's a lot.

But during the whole trip, or for that matter, for the entire year plus that I've owned the vehicle, I have had only a single highway encounter where I was on the edge of trouble due to a lack of horsepower. I have to take the blame for that close call and not fault the vehicle. I am very pleased with the performance of the vehicle and at this point would NOT trade lower MPG for more MPH or more acceleration. Sensible driving habits, and particular care when entering a highway where the traffic is busy, the openings are small, and the speed limit is 80 (with lots of cars and trucks going at least that fast) should be sufficient. Just my $0.02, anyway.