Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

I just bought my nox a few weeks ago. Got a LT1 4 cyl and FWD. Now im wondering if I should have went with the 6 and AWD.

The mileage is not to bad. Getting 27-28 on the highway at 68 mph. Did get 29 plus at 55mph. City is about 22-23. Takes getting use to not gunning the car on take off from a stop.

Just the get up and go power is not what I felt on the test drive.I plan on a vacation into the mountains and thinking this is not going to make it up the hills.
Anybody else drive thru the mountains with the 4 cyl?
Anybody tow with this yet?How was it handling?

Thinking about doing my own oil changes.I will see the cost difference before I decide on that.

Love the ride and comfort.I heater is a bit noisy. But I can live with that.

I will check back and add to this as I drive it more.

Comments

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 186
    Granted we've only had our 12 Nox LS FWD 4 cyl for a few weeks, but so far it's everything we thought.

Wife really likes it. Easier for her to drive and park than she originally thought. Dealer let us have one for an extended test drive one day. So we went around town, out on the turnpike for a bit, thru shopping centers etc. By the time we got back to the dealer some 70 miles and 3 hours later she said, "Sold".
  • Does anyone have positive or negative input regarding the 2012 or 2011 equinox 6 cyl. SUV?
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Posts: 114
    we have been cross shopping the 2012 2LT equinox and the 2012 SLE 2 terrain. if you get the equiped the same the terrain is about $400 higher. am i missing something that is standard on the terrain , but not available on the equinox? could someone clear this up for me as i see no reason to spend $400 more just for the GMC logo. thanks
  • indrgbindrgb Posts: 115
    We've had our 2012 2LT V6 for about 6 weeks. So far we like it a lot. The only thing that doesn't seem right is when you put it in reverse when it's overnight cold, it kind of jerks into gear. Only going into reverse and only once when the engine is cold. We dropped it off at the dealer one night and they checked it the following morning. They said it did not jerk for them. Why am I not surprised. I can see this being a lingering issue, but what do you do except take it back again until it does it. Otherwise this Equinox is a ton better than the old one. It has more power than the old one and gets about the same mileage.
  • jonoxjonox Posts: 84
    Very important to warm up aluminum engines before driving, this may also solve your "jerk" issue.
  • The 6 Cylinder is teamed up with a 6 Speed Transmission that has been in production since 2006. This combination is very reliable, especially since the same transmission was designed to be used in the much larger/heavier Chevy Traverse. When the transmission oil is cold, it is much more viscous, which makes oil flow to the Rev Clutch more difficult. The "jerk" you feel is from clutch timing not being sequenced to the engine power. This cold shift is a "low energy" event in the transmission, and is not damaging. As the oil warms, oil flow is much more predictable for the transmission software, so you should have smoother shifts warm. The transmission software will also try to "adapt" to these events, and smooth them out over time. You should only be alarmed if you are getting "jerk" consistently when the transmission is warm.
  • tomsfiretrucktomsfiretruck Posts: 6
    edited March 2012
    So far so good. Transmission a little sluggish. Need that extra pedal push.
    Gas mileage was as advertised, but now I see it slipping a little bit.
    Dash average showing 24, but actual calculation is 22.9.
    Waiting for a long Interstate drive to see how close we come to the advertised mileage.
    Driver side door seems to be noisey. you can really hear the other cars passing by.
    Still getting used to the front end styling. Loose my point of reference.
    Backing up is an issue with the rear window viewing. Need to look all around to make sure not going to hit something or someone.

Having said all this, quite sure we made the right decision to purchase this car.

Tom in Temple, TX
  • torgy2torgy2 Posts: 2
    We have only 6600 miles on our 2012 Equinox. Took in to the dealership to fix what we thought was an engine miss. ( at 1500 rpm with trans in park a real noticeable miss) It was diagnosed as a sever engine vibration. The dealership contacted GM tech support and was advised to R&R the harmonic balancer. This did not fix the problem and we got the car back untill GM comes up with a fix. We also found out that 4 other 2012 Equinox at another local dealership had the same problem one had tobe bought back by the dealer. Our service tech said it sounds like it might be a "fleet wide problem"

Any one else having these problems? It seems to be only in the 6 cylinder.
  • grampsiegrampsie Posts: 1
    I, Live in West Virginia and have a 2012 LS AWD 4 Cyl . It does find. I came up mountain at Mount Ary on I-77 with cruse set at 75 mph. Stayed at 75 in 5th gear.
  • In order for you to be getting that good of mileage you must have the eco button on, turn it off for the mountians and I think you will be fine. You also could switch to manual shifting, with the buttons on the stick, takes some getting use to. Anyway, I love mine!
  • skyetxskyetx Posts: 2
    Just brought the New LT2 home April 13,2012 and kept in nice cozy garage. I happen to see a spiderweb across my tailpipe.
    I bent down to brush it away and noticed RUST ALL OVER the arms fixed to the exhaust on both sides of muffler. Even the screws used to attach the arms of tailpipes to muffler are rusted--screwhead and all. I have photos and will be contacting the dealer and Chevy.
    Am i just being uninformed or lacking knowledge but this Cannot be Normal!
    I know eventually metal does rust-especially the undercarriage of a vehicle but REALLY...at 2 weeks old?? And i am not in an area that runs damp or salty that would promote such damage.
    Anyone else having Rusting problems with Brand New 2012 Equinox LT2?
  • torgy2torgy2 Posts: 2
    Just a little up date to our problem. After taken the car back to our dealer and having them check it out again. And comparing it to other new 6 cyl EQUINOX on the lot. They all seemed to have a engine vibration around 1500 rpm. Our service tech said it was not normal. After checking with GM was told by engineering that it was with in "Normal Parameters" and because there one only 1 complaint nothing could or would be done. So we are stuck with a saver vibration until some one else complains too.
  • indrgbindrgb Posts: 115
    If I press the accelerator while in park, I noticed my 2012 6 cyl Nox has an unbalanced feeling at around 1500 RPM. I do not notice it while driving or when it's started cold. I don't plan to take it in unless I have another problem. I suspect the dealer will tell me it's normal. I don't plan to lose any sleep over it.
  • Let me ask a question.....do you think they built it the day before you bought it?
    You need to look at the build date of the vehicle. Also, it may be a combo of rail dust and the metal rusting. But remember, rust actually protects the metal and keeps it from deteriorating faster.
    In other words, not a problem.
  • petrichorpetrichor Posts: 1
    Recently while shopping around for a new 2012 Chevy Equinox at three separate dealerships, I was shocked by the lack of product knowledge the salespeople had regarding the radio systems. I fully expected to demo the new Mylink radio which has Pandora and Stitcher but was told by each and every salesperson that the Colortouch (which does not have those features) is Mylink. One went so far as to tell me that Remote Link for Allstar is the same as Mylink!

So which one do you have and what did you think you were buying">?
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    It's unbelievable that so many car/truck salespersons are so poorly trained. I have purchased GM and Chrysler products for over 20 years. Frequently, I know more about the product than the salesperson. Anytime I buy a big ticket item, I spend several hours researching the product. The knowledge I gain from this basic research frequently is more than the salesperson's knowledge. I simply do not understand why companies do not train their sales staff better.
  • salesman7salesman7 Posts: 1
    Better? I am a GM salesman. We don't get trained at all. Any training we get we have to do on our own. And when we are constantly busy with customers, have several different models of vehicles (Chevrelot, GMC, Buick, and others, plus every make and model of used vehicles on the lot) it is very difficult, if not impossible, to remember everything about every car. Try to take it easy on your salesperson. I assure you, they are trying very hard. Its not easy. Its alot easier for a consumer, interested in one or two vehicles, to do thorough research than it is for us to remember every available feature on every car.
  • I bought my 2012 6cyl Nox on June 22, 2012. Within the first 1000 miles I noticed a terrible hesitation/stall as the car would go from a dead stop to full on acceleration right around 1500 rpm.

I found this out the hard way, almost having a wreck thinking I had all the power in the world to clear an intersection to have it hesitate and nearly stall with oncoming traffic....EEEK!

I also noticed that it would occasionally downshift very hard at times.

It has been in the shop for about two and a half weeks now and I am not having any of that Chevy Confidence feeling right now.

My service advisor says that they are ripping the tranny apart to see if they can find the issue and that they are working with GM on it.

We'll see what happens.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Geez, sorry to hear that! After looking at the LS 4 cyl, I was just getting interested in the V-6 1LT version so I could tow a small camper. Now not so sure..... :confuse:

BTW, where in Texas are you and where did you buy your Equinox?
  • I am in Corpus...and the dealer is Allen Samuels.

I do have to say that the dealership is working diligently to try to solve the problem. They have gone so far as to get the sales department involved again in case the problem can't be fixed.

As of tomorrow, the car will be in the shop for 3 weeks....my patience is still in abundant supply....but I am bummed.
  • I have the same v6 in my 1LT and experience the same hesitation/hard downshifts - they are probably normal. I have noticed with the 6 speed trannies for better fuel economy, they are slower to respond and help slow the car down when you let off on the accelerator - I rent a lot and feel this a lot on GMs and Fords. The accelerator is a bummer, I had to really hoof it to beat out a Scion IQ. But I can live with the hard down-shift as I do not have to brake as much as I did before. However, to answer another person's question - if I were towing, I would certainly go with a v6!
  • Maybe this is something your management may want to figure out. Customers are concerned about making the best purchase, not how hard the salesperson is working. There isn't much sympathy on either side of the auto sales business. Good luck.
  • Noticed today that the top of the cluster was extrememly hot to the touch. So hot, could not keep my hand on it. This does not seem normal to me. I have seen it mentioned one other time, but no answer. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
    Tom in Texas........
  • Hi I really want to get a Chevy Equinox but I'm not sure of the year. Or even a 2013 model. And pros or cons would be greatful
    thanks
  • Purchased a 2012 Equinox 4 cyl AWD one month ago and live on a country gravel road. Dust is coming in the rear latch and the two rear doors. Dealer fixed and said it was excessive gaps in LH RH rear doors and liftgate seals. The adjusted all door strikers inward. Well guess what - it is still doing the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they solve it. Have talked to 3 other equinox 2012 or 2011 owners with the same problem. Is there a solution?
  • I have the same problem with my 2011 SLT2 Terrain. At low speeds when I
    tramp on the accelerator, a real hesitation as if the engine is going to stall.
    When i ease off and accelerate slowly the car speeds up smoothly.
    Its as if the transmission gets lost between gears and the engine cuts the
    fuel off. As usual, the dealer says they can find nothing wrong.
    You would think they could reflash the computer chip and correct the problem
  • I have a 2012 Equinox LT2 and love it. I had a 2011 and had some problems so I made a deal with my dealer and got a 2012. We took a trip to Boston from Milledgeville GA and got as high as 34.1 mpg at one point, going through Virginia. We averaged 30.7 on our trip back from Boston. We average 27.5 around town and driving from Macon to Milledgeville. The best I have done on short trips is 28.3 mpg. (It's all the way you drive.) The vehicle runs great, handles great and has adequate power to pass and do anything I need. We have received many comments from strangers regarding the looks of the vehicle. We have the red color and love it. Can't think of anything negative to say.
  • I have just purchased a 2012 Equinox with a 4 cyl. When I first crank the engine it runs rough for a few minutes. I have not completed my dealership survey until I see if this problem continues. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Good afternoon rocketbob,

Are you noticing this issue when you are traveling at speeds below 35 miles per hour? If so, and if I understand your post correctly, I would recommend adjusting your acceleration so as to only be pushing in the gas pedal about half way rather than all the way down (per p. 9-35 in the manual). If we can check into anything further, please let us know by sending an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include the last 8 of your VIN and contact information along with your inquiry).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Congratulations on your Equinox, sonnyh777! We're so pleased to hear that you're enjoying it and wish you many more happy miles!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service