Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,131
    It's great to hear from you, alamo3! We're pleased that you're having such a great experience with your Equinox and wish you many more smooth miles ahead.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • skeet7skeet7 Posts: 10
    I had the exact thing happen to me!!!! In the middle of an intersection, the car just stopped going and then allllll of a sudden, SLAMMED into gear and off I went. It happen a second time while exhilarating onto an interstate, it sput and sputtered like it was going to stop, and then just took off. I've told my husband if I am killed in this car, to do a investigation.
    We just purchased a 2012 Equinox in June. I was so excited and very pleased with all the options I was able to get for the price. The style looks good, and it was a more comfortable 'zip around town' than our Tahoe. I currently have 8,000 miles on the vehicle and literally CRY weekly because I'm so disappointed with this car.

1. The seats are EXTREMELY uncomfortable for long drives, my driving leg actually goes to sleep. I've been to nerve doctors and MRI to see if I have a pinched nerve...all were negative.

2. At 2,500 miles the dash began to rattle, it gradually got unbearable. The rattle was more on the passenger side so I dealt with it.....until we took our first trip (see #3). I now was sitting in the passenger seat and told my husband the I do not feel I can listen to this for four hours. I had to wear my earphones the whole trip!

3. At 3,500 miles on our first "out-of-town" trip, when we reached our destination (after about 4 hours a driving) we exited the car, returned maybe 15 min later and the CAR WOULD NOT START. It made an awful sput and sputter, jerked around and finally stopped. The next try, it started and all was well until we returned home.

-The next week, we took it to the dealer for the engine problem and the rattle. An engine coil had to be replaced (it did throw a code) and the WHOLE dash had to be removed to fix the rattle.

-so, back on the road (only now have scratches all on both doors plastic from un-cautioned workers) . Every since the repair, the engine turns over VERY hard when starting. And, I've had the car stop immediately after starting with automatic start (not normal)

4. About a month after this, I was entering an interstate 'on' ramp, and upon acceleration, the car (once again) sput and sputter like it was going to stop, but then kicked into gear (scared the living daylights out of me)

5. Two weeks later, I was entering an intersection to turn left. This time upon acceleration the car decided to STALL in the middle of the intersection and the ALLLLL of a sudden it SLAMMED into gear.

-I took the car in and of course, they could not duplicate the problem. I've informed my husband that if I'm in a wreck, a full investigation should be taken with the car.
    -At the end of the year I just wanted to get rid of it and get in something else, but the dealership has not been helpful at ALLL! Once they have your money, they could care less.

6. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY????? THE RATTLE IS BACK!!! Lovely!! I do not have time to keep taking A BRAND NEW CAR in for repairs!!!! This car is truly a piece of crap and would NOT recommend to anyone.

FYI: We have ALWAYS been die hard Chevy owners. My mother and step-father worked and retire with GM and are proud employees. This has soured the mouth of our WHOLE family!!

And yes Sarah with GM customer service, I have contacted you and your 'concerned' department. Unfortunately your concern doesn't go past your post on the forum.
    You will continue to be in "Awh" until you get rid of the car! we are on 8,000 and I get sick to my stomach when I have to drive it because they would not work with me to get out of it!! $7,000 upside down and 4 trips the to repair shop with a rental for 5 days is NOT a NEW car experience that I ever want to have again! I struggle everyday to not go trade it in and just be upside down!
    Buying an Equinox would be the worst decision you EVER made. We bought a new 2012 in June, and I cry everyday a have to drive it. It's been in the shop five times, and needs to go back in for a dash rattle that they ALREADY have had to take the dash out to fix. It's unsafe, and I have been told, "SORRY" we can NOT duplicte the problem so many times I can spit.
    We had to same thing happen on our 2012 at 3,500 miles....They had to change an engine coil. Has NOT ran right since! Very unsafe!!
  • OK...I just purchased a 2012 LTZ 6cyl two days ago and am considering asking for my car back tomorrow! I was driving down the road today...car felt a little Jerky, then the stabilitrak light came on and the check engine light started flashing. I pulled into a parking lot...turned it off then turned it back on and everything is fine.

I'm reading all of the posts about how everyone is afraid to drive their Equinox's and well...i am now!! With all of these posts...has anyone experienced the same issue and had a solution???

Really looking for some good news! :lemon:
    I'm sorry, but I'm not the one to ask for good news. I've had this car Since June and have been completely unsatisfied. For the look and all the bells and whistles, you could not ask for a better car. I've had the whole dash removed the fix a rattle, that's still there. An engine coil replaced. Two times it stalled in the middle of heavy traffic and then decided to go. The seat is extremely uncomfortable after a 20 min. drive. The control for the radio on the steering wheel decided not to work one day, they are good now. And my USB port disconnects all the time.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but the car just sucks, or at least mine does! There are tons on the rode, and many people who love theirs, maybe that will be you. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on what you do.

Curious, did you buy brand new or used? Miles?
    ejwinters,
    We're sorry that you're experiencing these troubles on your Equinox. Have you already consulted your dealership on this?
  • I took it into the shop this morning. They gave me a loaner to drive while they are working on mine. It's an LT not an LTZ...the ride in the loaner is a lot smoother than mine. In mine you can feel everytime it changes a gear...up or down. So of course I called to let them know so that they will be aware of it. I'm hoping it's a bad sensor...and not the whole transmission. My dealer in NC bought it from a deal in FL who used it as a courtesy car. It only has 8800 miles on it.

At this point I'm terrified because of a previous experience with a past car that was in the shop 9 times within the 1st month I had it!!!
    ejwinters,
    Keep us posted! If you want for us to check into anything further for you on this, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • OK...Update. Picked it up from the shop today and they told me that yes indeed it did misfire and the cause was because they put too much oil in the car. As of right now it hasn't misfired.

The transmission issue...they chalked up to the car getting to know my driving habbit.
    So fingers crossed and stay tuned!! Not sure I by it but we'll see.

The guys in the Bill Black Chevy Service department did do everything they knew to do. The guy that they put on quirky cases...like mine drove it for about 60 miles today after they cleared the codes and he said it worked fine for him. A second guy drove it around just to get a second opinion and then the Service Manager rode around with me so he could see and feel what I was feeling. Everything was ok...switching gears was a little rough...but not bad on a couple of occasions but nothing for me to flip out about. As he said..."it's the computer getting to know your driving style". Although later...i was parked on a hill and it didn't want to back up...so as i said we'll see! Thanks everyone for the comments. if anything else happens I'll be sure to let you know!
    Glad that they have found the cause of the issue, ejwinters! Take care!
  • I bought the 2012 Equinox LT Feb of 2012. I have had zero issues and have no regrets for the purchase. The vehicle is wonderful. I'm in Oregon and have driven the AWD in snow and rain. It does everything it should, and it does it well.
    And for the record, I love the bucket seats too (with Lumbar support).
    My NOXey is fantastic and I have recommended it to many friends.
    Good luck with this...you'll need it. Our is schedule to go back in shop Monday to pull dash out yet again to fix a rattle :)
  • We purchased a 2012 Equinox with a V6 on November 28, 2012. We drove both the 4 and 6 at various dealerships and decided on the the V6. One thing I regret is that I did not get to drive it on the interstate and see how it performed. The shifting of the transmission is horrible. It is not smooth. I figured with the V6, it should be a great ride on the interstates as we will be doing a lot of interstate traveling. WRONG. I will be doing 65 and going up a slight hill, pressing on the accelerator harder and harder now doing about 60 and then it hesitates, shifts, and then I am doing 72. It is the worst vehicle I have had to deal with for holding a relative constant speed. The service manager at the dealership told me that this was an inherent problem as there is no direct connect with the accelerator to the throttle. This I know but I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS and other vehicles and I don't have this problem. They offered to check the transmission but without a code, they won't find anything. I am disappointed in this vehicle.
  • jpf55jpf55 Posts: 1
    We purchased our 4 cyl Fwd LTZ Equinox in Nov of 2011 and have since put 67,000 miles on this vehicle. We have put this car through every type of driving condition you can possibly imagine. Up & down the mountains of Tennesse and the Carolinas, Through the ice, snow and sleet of Illinois. In addition to that we drive 180 miles per day with a full load of car poolers and we get about 27.5 miles per gallon.
    I can't complain about this car considering what its been through and it's my 5th Chevy I've owned throughout my life time. My 4th Chevy, a 2000 Silverado LS that I still own has 275,000 miles on it and runs like new!
    So, to the point of this inquiry. Before the 100,000 mile warranty runs out, I would like to resolve the transmission jerk that seems to present itself on occasion. I'm not sure what causes this issue and it cannot be duplicated when I take it to the dealer. However, there seems to be a concensus noted throughout this blog there seems to be an issue. If by chance "gmcstsvc" is reading this or anyone else has had this problem and resolved it please let me know!
    In the mean time I'll keep driving my Chevy's! :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    One thing you can do is document the problem with your dealer. Make sure your concerns are noted on the repair order even if they can't reproduce the problem. Then, if there's a fix (or a failure) after warranty, you might be able to get some help from GM, especially since you've been a loyal customer. No guarantees but it won't hurt (other than having to pay the diagnostic fee perhaps).

The Secret Warranty

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 191
    After about a year now, we're having a similar "jerking" issue with our 2012 LS. We only have about 8K miles on ours and is mostly city driven.

Have yet to take it in for this "jerking" or hard shift, as I can see where it'll be one of those, "we can't duplicate the problem" stories. However, I will be taking our nox in within a month or so for an oil change and will at that time address and document the issue.

One thing ours did, once, and I've not seen it mentioned is this. One day I was coasting down a slight decline to a red light. I put the tranny in neutral but the light suddenly turned green. When I put the shifter back in "D", nothing would happen. The engine would race when I hit the throttle. After 3 or 4 attempts it finally took off.

I'll update when and if I have any further info.
    jpf55,
    Let us know if you would like for us to document anything for you or if you decide work with a dealership to get this transmission concern checked into. One thing to consider is that it is recommended to have the transmission serviced every 45,000 miles (p. 11-7 of the 2012 Equinox Manual) when the vehicle is driven in more severe circumstances, including hilly or mountainous driving.

We can be contacted at socialmediagm.com if you should have any further questions (please include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

ed_the_equinox,
    Have you already been in contact with customer assistance on this situation?
    Looking forward to your update, cmhj2000. If we can check into anything in the meantime, we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • OK...I've given the Equinox time to "get to know me" and as I feared...it doesn't like me!
    The other day I was pulling out of a parking lot and was coming to a rolling stop at a stop sign. Noticed there wasn't anything coming and put my foot down on the accelerator and nothing happend. I then left off and then went back down and it finally took off. My sister was with me and she freaked out just a bit..."that scared me" was what I heard.

I didn't call the dealership because I've been trying to recreate it so that I will be able to explain to the dealer so that they could experience it.

Today...while driving at 60 mpg...the car started making a grinding noise. If I sped up the sound went away but as soon as i went back to 60 mpg...it made the noise again.

You could feel the noise as well as hear it (if that makes any sense) it would also drop on power.

so back to the dealer it goes in the morning! Hubby is none too happy with my decision in cars. There could be a trade in my future!!
    :lemon:
    We hope that your visit to the dealership goes well today, ejwinters. Keep us posted on the outcome, and if you should need anything don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).
  • Yes and told me to bring it in for a check but without a code, they can't do anything. I will be taking it in for an oil change soon and will have them give it a look.
    Sounds like a plan, ed_the_equinox. Keep us updated!
    Day after day you say the same thing to ALLLLLL these unhappy customers, but yet when we follow your advice and send you our info., we NEVER hear from you! You (GM Customer Service) are no-more concerned for the owners than we are in owning the Nox's any longer. You try to 'buffer' the comments, but yet these people are talking loud and clear and clearly there is something wrong with the stalling or hesitation of these vehicles. They are unsafe and this needs to be noted and fixed.
  • kev403kev403 Posts: 2
    My 2012 Equinox with less than 5 thousand miles is at this time leaking water from one of the sides of the muffler. Yesterday while fueling up a very good amount of water poured out of the side and not the tail pipe.
    This obviously is not normal, any feed back before I take it down to the dealership??
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,288
    edited March 2013
    Hhmm haven't looked my Terrain, but some vehicles have a weep hole in the muffler that allows water to drain and not pool as it might when used for short trips that don't allow enough heat to build up in muffler. Easy to find more info with a google search on 'automotive muffler weep hole'
    We're sorry to hear that you are having this concern with your new Equinox, kev403. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist with as you work with your dealership to get this checked into. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).