Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda CX-5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
edited January 2014 in Mazda
Tell us about shopping for a new CX-5!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• ben1986ben1986 Member Posts: 9
    I went to the dealership to get a cx5 GT with tech. They wanted me to pay a $1000 premium over msrp.. They said it was supply and demand and the hype on this car is overwhelming.. So I just walked out.. Will wait until the price goes down..
  • edo65edo65 Member Posts: 2
    $1000 over msrp not bad,they wanted $3000 over in Ontario,will definitely wait
  • captainrodcaptainrod Member Posts: 19
    There was 1 CX-5 at the dealership in Lancaster, PA that I drove and liked. It was 2WD Touring. The sale price component offered on a GT lease deal was about $400 under MSRP. This results in a offering that is not competitive with the small SUV/crossover segment. I have enough experience to know when negotiations start so unfavorably they rarely make it to the favorable side. I cannot wait till prices drop since I am in the market now. Other industries generally do not have higher prices just because a product is new to market, hence my problem with "haggle" shopping. I don't think the Lorax marketing campaign justifies the high prices as other press bills the CX-5 as undercutting Honda/Toyota/etc. in MPG and base price. The implication that the price is better is not true right now. I found the CX-5/Mazda/Lorax articles on greenreports.com interesting.
  • crystycrysty Member Posts: 3
    Is 26k out the door a good price for a touring model with moonroof? Thanks
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    We paid $27,800 out the door (taxes, tags, title, registration, gas, etc) for a Sky Blue Touring with the Moonroof and Tech packages (invoice $25708, MSRP $27005). I'm sure we could have haggled them a bit lower, but the overall buying experience was so pleasant that I didn't really mind. They spent a couple of days tracking down the exact car we wanted (in Pennsylvania, no less), and our sales guy drove up there himself to retrieve it. No mess, no pressure.

Bought at Brown's Chantilly Mazda, Chantilly VA.
  • wusspoppinwusspoppin Member Posts: 2
    To gloss: How did you get that price? What did you say because I just came back from a dealer denying this was impossible, showing me the invoice etc. did you have a trade in? Please let me know bc im sick of these dealers trying to sc--- me. Any help is appreciated. What do you think would be a good price OTD (out the door) for AWD moon and tech. in NJ? or AWD with moon only? Thnx in advance!
  • pppkpppk Member Posts: 5
    I just came back from the dealer for a CX-5 Touring AWD with power moon roof with a total of $26,950(including destination cost), do u think this is a good pricing .....???
  • lamb14lamb14 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Touring FWD with moon roof package for $24,800 (Invoice $24,653, MSRP
    $25,820). That included the destination charge, but not taxes, tags, registration, etc...those vary by state, so the OTD price can be drastically different depending on where you live. My state sales tax is 6%, but there are some states with tax as much as 11%.
    The dealer where I purchased did not have the vehicle I wanted, so they had to find me one.
    I also got a 36 month factory scheduled maintenance plan at no charge for having been a Mazda owner (I had a 2003 Protege 5 but did not trade it in: sold to Carmax for $1500 more than the dealer was going to give me).
    I hope this information helps out!
  • imm19imm19 Member Posts: 12
    As of today FitzMall is selling at invoice price or bellow :)
  • pppkpppk Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a CX-5 AWD Touring with MoonRoof and Bose Speakers in NJ for a price of $27,500 OTD ( MSRP: 25,500) - Had a 2 hour negotiation with the dealer to get down to this price.

I like the Car.. and its cool to drive.

Hope this helps you.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It would help if you just gave us the actual sales price and dealer fee. Forget the sales tax and title/plate costs as that is drastically different state to state. Are you saying that you paid MSRP of $25500 and the taxes, title, plates and dealer fee totalled another $2000 to bring it to $27,500????? Pretty confusing.

OTD price really doesn't help the vast majority of members here.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    Sorry. Sales tax for cars in VA is only about 3%, so we essentially paid a couple hundred under MSRP, or around $26,800, for the loaded Touring.
  • wusspoppinwusspoppin Member Posts: 2
    That's sounds like an awesome deal, but to me it doesn't make sense bc the MSRP of a AWD Touring with the moonroof/bose package is not 25,500, its 27,070. If you can explain this more or tell me where you got this car from then I would greatly appreciate it (remember no names, just dealership) If I come off sounding like a jerk, I apologize, but I''m just frustrated with dealers trying to scr-- me. I appreciate any and all the help I can get. for example what you said, or if you had a trade in or whatever. I looked at the another website that said the AWD Touring CX 5 with the moonroof/bose package is MSRP = 27,070 Factory Invoice = 26,160 and Dealer cost = 25,783. Like I said before any and all help is appreciated for getting the FINAL aka out the door price (OTD) in NJ where its 7% sales tax.
  • esbeeesbee Member Posts: 1
    Just put a deposit down on a FWD Touring with moonroof/bose package. MSRP of $25,820. Purchase price of $24,981, includes destination. Located in Raleigh, NC.
  • rcutch21rcutch21 Member Posts: 2
    I got what I considered to be an excellent deal for the new CX-5.

MSRP: $25,820
    Invoice: $25,011
    Touring, FWD, w/ Moon Roof Package. 0.9% for 3 years. Black mica exterior and black interior.

Paid $23,700 for the car itself. Their fees were a little ridiculous, but after taking off an optional fee of $199, I walked out the door paying $26,177 (New Jersey sales tax of 7%).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking to interview people who bought new cars during the month of March 2012. Please email [email protected] with the make and model of your purchase and your daytime contact info no later than Monday, April 2, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• holytoledoholytoledo Member Posts: 5
    Folks- the boats have apparently landed with the coveted CX5s. Mazda does a good job of inventory on their website. Check your area there are now a slew of these cars. The one I picked up was gone from their site immediately after I drove off and that is where I found it. The CX5 is certainly selling briskly....but it is just like anything else....they trying to move them. You should be able to get this vehicle for around invoice with some haggling. I did. Lets see if it holds. Great vehicle...my abbreviated review:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f2524b7/153!make=Mazda&model=CX-5&ed_make- index=.f2524b7
  • minghiminghi Member Posts: 24
    could you break down the math please?
    23,700+1659(tax)+199(doc fee?)+85(title fee)+211(reg fee) = 25854
    did I miss something
    also which dealer was this?
    thanks
  • rcutch21rcutch21 Member Posts: 2
    They threw in a "Dealer prep" fee of $100. Their "Doc fee" was $400 I believe. They tried to throw in "Window Etching" for $200, but I told them I didn't want it.

The tax might've been based off of the $23,700 + the $100 dealer prep. The total was definitely $26,177. I wasn't complaining about the outrageous other fees because the out the door price was over $1,000 cheaper than the other dealers in my area.

Open Road Mazda in East Brunswick, Middlesex county.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Seems like a very good price! I have only seen CX-5 Grand Touring AWD for $30,415.00 +T/T/L. What is difference between Touring and Grand Touring models?
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    The biggest differences are leather and 19" wheels.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The GT also includes moonroof and Bose stereo and a few other things.
  • captainrodcaptainrod Member Posts: 19
    CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/Technology package has an MSRP of $30,415 and I received selling price quote of $29,000 in Pennsylvania. However, I leased a Honda instead so it is bitter/sweet. Much better lease deal. :) Driving 2nd choice vehicle. :(
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I'm seeing about ~$500-$1,000 off sticker in general, and no add-ons for wheel locks, etc. Good news is that inventories are getting healthy - every dealer seems to have a decent supply (6-8 on the lot with fairly frequent arrivals) and you can pretty much get whatever color-package combo your looking for without too much of a wait around here.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking for new-car buyers who feel they've been victimized by unscrupulous salespeople. Email [email protected] no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• llcoolbeanllcoolbean Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting a quote of $23200, before all the fees, for the Touring FWD. Another dealer I contacted with telling me that's too good, that the other guy must be misleading me and he wouldn't match because he'll be "losing money to sell a new 2013 car". He may be right, this other guy probably didn't include the destination fees, and I heard that dealership charges $900 in dealer fees. So total, after 6% tax, will be more than $26k. With that price, I can get a CR-V EX. Ugh, don't know what to do.
  • jazjazjazjaz Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Grand Touring FWD (GT) version with navi and the works ?

I know online it says about 29,880.

?

Any help is appreciated.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2012
    licoolbean: could you ask both dealers for the final, out of the door price inclusive of all fees? That would make a decision as to what to do much easier.
  • her0her0 Member Posts: 1
    got a sport auto transmission with blue tooth package, those shark fin things, wheel locks, and other small bells and whistles. They had it at $23695 + another $3000 something markup, which was before fees and taxes (which was around $1800).

The mark up is total bs and dont believe the, "its a hot car, I got people lined up for it, you should buy it now." I probably still paid more than I should have, but I was able to get it for $24000 with fees and the taxes included. I also traded in a 10 year old car (which I got wayyy more than I expected) and got another $500 off for the mazda loyalty program, but I am extremely happy with my purchase. I was there for about 5 hours for the dealing and financing. I also had to show I was willing to walk away.
  • tonystarks22tonystarks22 Member Posts: 51
    they had 1 sport, about 8 or so tourings and 3 GT AWD's. We wanted a GT AWD and told them we were ready to pull trigger, but they wouldnt budge from MSRP. I cant let myself pay full pop for a car that will be blown out for invoice in a month or two. Thus we'll wait. No rush.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    It will be more than a month or two before they are "blown out" at invoice. GT's are extremely rare right now and dealers will not be receiving new inventory until late July.

What dealer in Jersey did you go to?
    I may be overly optimistic about a month or two. The dealer mentioned "the shortage" to me as well. That could be salesman speak for all i know. What i am getting at is the CX5 is great, but its new. I dont want to be the guy paying full pop becuase its brand new. I am hoping with the 2013 escape hitting lots and the continued agressive pricing of the CRV that the CX5 demand will cool. I can get a CRV EXL AWD for about $43 cheaper a month here. Problem is, wife dont want one lol. We'll continue to monitor inventory.
    Got a GT AWD. Dealership only had one (in the color my wife wanted). I had done all the numbers based on my experience as a salesman and let them close me on a payment. All the hocus pocus they do with the trade in and fees etc it looks like we got ~$500 off + the Loyalty rebate.

Wife is extatic. The ride home was great, this is a really good looking CUV. The interior of the GT feels more expensive than it is (wish the passenger seat was power).

Good luck folks. From my research local NJ dealers had 1-3 GT's on the lot. The dealer we bought from got 3 in on Friday, sold two on saturday and ours last night. Dealer said, prior to that all had been sold prior to hitting the lot.
    I just took home my CX-5 Touring AWD with moon/Bose & tech. Black Mica with black interior. It's really my wife's car, but I'm happy as well.

Who did you buy from in Jersey? I'm located in CT.

BTW, the shortage of GT's in not hocus pocus. There really are virtually none available. My store has none due in until late July and a few are already sold.

Reason for the shortage is the 19" wheels. For whatever reason there was a supplier problem or Mazda underestimated the demand for the GT's. What Mazda did was change existing GT orders into Touring w/tech orders. There is an abundance of Touring w/ tech & moon/Bose on the way. Going forward, only 20% GT's can be ordered per allocation and 10% Sport. That leaves 70% Touring models as available inventory.
    not even a week old. Dont even have tags on it yet!!!! Really bummed out about it.
  • fastgstfastgst Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2012
    Sales guy tell me it is going $2k over sticker so no thanks..

The Rav 4 although old is the last year and you can get good bit below invoice. The price difference will be able to pay for the MPG difference for a long time.

Do you think they won't sell me at sticker or less? They would rather not make a sale at all?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Man, sorry to hear that - really sucks.... :sick: Hoping it turns up and is OK. Not sure what I would do if that happened to me but if I ever caught the bastards..... :mad: :mad:

Where are you located and where was the car when stolen?
    Do you think they won't sell me at sticker or less? They would rather not make a sale at all?

In their mind they are making less on you than they could on someone else so it does not make sense to sell to you. Not that I agree with ADM's, but a seller (dealer or private) can sell a car for whatever they want to.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay.
    will try to offer $1k below sticker for a grand touring full loaded, if they don't do it that's fine.. It's not worth the markup seriously. You can take the same money and buy a top trim CRV or Rav4 or other same sized SUV!
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Fitzmall.com has them for $1000 to $1400 off sticker which is $4-500 under invoice.
    Fitzmall.com has them for $1000 to $1400 off sticker which is $4-500 under invoice.

Fitzgerald Mazda in Annapolis, MD only has 5 total CX-5's in stock, and no GT's. I viewed their inventory through my dealer system.

Fitzgerald Mazda in Frederick, MD only has 4 total and not GT's either.

With next to no inventory and hot demand, it is poor business to sell under invoice.

Here is their disclaimer: "Mazda Owner Loyalty FitzMall Internet and Value Prices include $500 Mazda Owner Loyalty Cash. Offer expires July 02, 2012. Please see dealer for details" Plus a processing fee.
  • vivekasticvivekastic Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2012
    Same issue with me. I drove CX-5 and CRV.

Yes heart is set on CX5 Touring FWD. But I am not stupid. :mad: I will buy CRV LX AWD for less than what CX-5 touring costs me. And I get almost same features in CRV LX plus I get the AWD. And it undoubtedly better power house than CX-5. Also checking for Nissan Rogue, getting 3k off MSRP. I think it would be money put to work better.

Is there a way to get 700$ off the 24690? Just feeling bad I wont buy CX-5 because of this, so want to know if there is a way. N California looks too hot to get me more than couple hundreds off. How does buying from out of state work?
    I am fairly sure you can do it..
    I tested them they were ready to deal sticker price, I think
    What the heck is a big deal about $700 off $25k. Not a lot.
    Don't be foolish and overpaid. It's not worth it. Insist they took off the inflated $95 wheel locks. It's only $55 on the website.
  • booyah30booyah30 Member Posts: 1
    Got the CX5 GT AWD with tech package, rear bumper guard and wheel locks for invoice at $29,578 with S-plan pricing. E-plan pricing is about another $1300-1400 below the S-plan. Got an additional $500 off since I am a Mazda owner. :D

Three Seattle area dealers were willing to take the S-plan, although all of them stated in the beginning that they would sell the car to me at $32,578 at a substantial mark-up over the MSRP of $30,500 gradually making their way to S-plan pricing.

Total price paid with taxes = $29,078 + $595 (lease initiation fee) + $2022 (tax, tag, title and doc fees)

Leased the vehicle with $1K down for a 36 month term/12K miles for $464/month. Money factor = 0.00123 and residual value = 53%

Overall, decent car buying experience. Took me a day to research, call and negotiate with an initial set of 7 area dealerships. Shout out to Tim Hack at Lee Johnson Mazda for getting me in and out of the dealership in 2 hours; super easy going guy and no pressure tactics.

Only downsides were that I should have asked for a residual value of 55% as reported on this forum and the car had ~400 miles on it. :mad: However, the vehicle had the exact options I was looking for and I needed a car rightaway.

Advice to folks buying in the area would be to do their homework before walking into the dealership since I can imagine dealers pulling a fast one if you dont have all your numbers down.

I am on the market for another car, trying to decide between another CX5 or something else... Will wait a few weeks before getting the next vehicle.

Open to suggestions and feedback from the pros on how I did on this car and pointers for the next one. Thanks!
  • sentientsentient Member Posts: 4
    Hey Car man,

I'm wondering if you can help me out with what the residual and MF look like for a CX-5 GT FWD w/tech. I'm in the Houston area.

Btw, has anyone else noticed that the MSRP jumped 200 bucks (at least on the GT FWDs) on Mazda's website? Edmunds as well as their existing inventory still reflect the old price, but the new cars being added seem to all have the bump in MSRP.
  • maryb4maryb4 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I am a salesperson at a mazda dealership. The cx-5 is in short supply--that's not salesman talk,,,it's a fact. My dealership does not mark up from msrp but we are asking for msrp on them right now. I wouldn't wait to see if the price drops, because mazda is marking up the car as we speak. It's a great car and beats the pants off the CRV which is outdated and ugly as sin.
    Mazda kept the markup from Invoice only about $600 to pass the lower pricing to the customers. The dealer does not have any incentives when they sell a car so selling the car at or below invoice would just be stupid. Yes, we will wait until a customer sees the benefits of the mazda cx-5 and buys the car for more than invoice to sell one.
  • maryb4maryb4 Member Posts: 4
    I would not wait to buy a grand touring. They are in short supply and will be for a very long time. Plus, mazda is marking up the cars as we speak. Paying MSRP for the car is a deal because most dealers are marking up from MSRP. The cx-5 will not be "blown out at invoice" for a very long time.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    "It's a great car and beats the pants off the CRV which is outdated and ugly as sin".

Spoken like a loyal Mazda sales person! Re: your comment vs the new CR-V, you are aware that CR rates the CR-V higher in a head to head comparison and I suspect its sales volume will far exceed the CX-5s!.... ;) A shame that Mazda can't keep up with the demand. I'd consider the CX-5 (if I could actually find one... :mad: ) but will never pay sticker when there are so many other good choices out there (CR-V, RAV-4, Mitsu Outlander, Nissan Rogue, Chevy Equinox, Kia Sorento, Subie Forester, etc).
    A shame that Mazda can't keep up with the demand. I'd consider the CX-5 (if I could actually find one..

Us dealers have come to learn is was not that they could not keep up with demand but actually demand was underestimated. Mazda recently announced an increased production of CX-5's as well as doubling the production of SKYACTIV engines and transmissions.

Since these cars are built in Japan, it will take 3 to 4 months before the supply v demand balances out.
  • vivekasticvivekastic Member Posts: 9
    I have been into the market very recently. Drove crv, rav4,cx5,rogue. I refuse to believe that cx5 white washes crv. Though I didn't buy the crv, I don't think cx5 was worth 24.6k before ttl. If I had only these 2 options, I would go for crv ex FWD instead of cx5 touring. Crv offers too many features for that price and cx5 feels powerless on the ramp IMO.

And MSRP is BS. At lease in North California I could at least take out 500 off 24.6k. Don't forget to haggle more in case of add ons.