Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Acura RDX

Comments

• Dang kk, I've yet to climb on top of the vehicle after a rain or wash :D Actually, I've always made it a practice to leave the windows and sunroof closed after washing, just to keep things clean until they dry completely. I may get a wash today, so I'll check it out. We're also 'expecting' rain toward the end of the week(first time in a full MONTH), so I'll get another chance to take a peek. ;)
  • kkjmkkjm Posts: 4
    I'm the same as you're i.e. keep sunroof closed after washing/rain - to keep it as it is until completely dry... until now. Out of curiosity after a recent rain in the NE - I opened the sunroof and discovered that the sunroof is not water tight. Again - it is not leaking into the car or similar - but I was surprised to see some water residue at the sunroof trenches leading (and around) to the drain hole. If you also see similar with your vehicle - then maybe this is normal (I hope). But if you don't see the water residue on your sunroof - then I may have a problem that I need to sort out with the dealership. Other than this. all is well with the vehicle.
  • Did Acura fix your noise problem? How is your RDX AWD running now?
  • The remote start for the 2013 RDX is now available. The only difference from the horrible system in our 2012 MDX (and all Honda vehicles) is it has a remote which replaces the keyless entry remote so one doesn't have to carry two remotes, one to start the car and one to unlock the doors. The problem is once the door is unlocked or opened it shuts down the engine which must be restarted once the door is closed.

I have used remote starts on my vehicles for 20 years and this is by far the worst of all the systems. The only reason I had it installed in the 2012 MDX is I incorrectly assumed the factory system is a plug-in unit like those on some "Detroit" cars. It isn't, and like better after market units, it requires several hours of pulling panels and running wires. Guess I will have to wait until a respected after market manufacturer develops a unit for the 2013 RDX?? This and the absurd phone/navigation system are as a previous owner stated is advancement in reverse. As an aside, a friend who has been in the aftermarket business for years and whose customers are mostly new and used car dealers with retail being secondary, told me some Honda & Acura dealers refuse to sell the "Honda" system because of customer complaints.
  • I have 7500 miles on my 2013 RDX. The service advisor told me to wait till the oil life gauge got down to 5 pct. he stated that the break in oil is the best the car will have, and the longer it is in the engine the better it will protect it in the future. Apparently the break in oil has a higher zinc content which protects the metal parts from wear.

Anyone else received similar advise?
  • We have only 2K miles on ours; but I'd be looking to change the oil for the potential cold starts that will hit most of us before too many more weeks...IF I had your kind of mileage. As it is, we'll likely get through the 'winter' here in Austin before swapping the oil for spring.

So far, no one has suggested anything other than the factory schedule for service at my dealer. I know Volvo has upped the interval to 10K miles since switching to full synthetic in some of the 2013 models(perhaps all).
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,297
    edited October 2012
    People have been posting about Honda "break-in" oil around here for a decade. For example - Honda Accord Engine Break-in and First Oil Change Questions (second paragraph of Post 80).

Makes sense to follow the owner's manual but old habits die hard.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Hello All,

Got my New 2013 RDX AWD with Tech 2 weeks ago.
    Now I am having problem opening the tailgate.
    The keyless remote opens the tailegate with a small gap but close right away.
    The button inside the car that's suppose to open the tailgate doesn't work.
    The only way to open the tailgate is by using the button in the rear of the tailgate.
    It does not automatically open I have to pull it up to open it.
    Just want to know if anyone is experiencing this problem.

Thanks!
  • I ran into this issue. to open from the inside you have to make sure ALL of the doors are unlocked then the inside button will work and the tailgate will open.
  • I haven't had the problem; but going in to the system and choosing another open/lock preference might re-set it if bertram's idea doesn't clear it up.
  • We are in NJ where there's been a gas shortage due to the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. We have always used premium gas on our 2012 RDX. But there doesn't appear to be any premium gas available. Will it damage the car/engine if we use regular gas this one instance?
  • albert72albert72 Posts: 141
    Hope you are making it through the wrath Mother Nature has dispensed on the Garden State.

Here is a press release by Honda that addresses your question - go to the section titled "fuel tank and driving range". In short, regular will not hurt your engine. You may sense a bit less power but that is normal and not a problem.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6554-en

Also, can you comment on which dealer you got your car from and if you were satisfied? In the market for an RDX and will be a bit delayed due to the storm.

Also - when looking for gas, sign up for Nixle - just Google - where I live, they have sent a few gas alerts - stations that have fuel and those that are out along with some estimated wait times. Similar to the online "Patch" publication.
  • albert72albert72 Posts: 141
    Carman,

A bit delayed in my pursuit for an RDX due to both the storm and the initial pricing I got from dealers which was unacceptable.

Can you tell me typically what time of the year one would typically get the best price on a car - in my case, a lease? Someone told me Dec 31 is the best day as a dealer may sell well below cost to hit volume goals and collect 6 figure incentive checks from the manufacturer.

If not Dec 31, other times of the year where pricing is typically better?

Thanks,
    edited November 2012
    Car_Man hangs out over in Prices Paid.

• After looking at every small luxury SUV on the market I had decided on the Acura RDX, that is until someone pointed out the empty slot where it appears a rear a/c vent should be. That is driving me crazy! It makes the car look like it is unfinished. I would like thoughts from those of you who have bought the RDX on that empty slot. Of course I also think Acura will put the a/c vent in the slot for 2014 and that would make matters worse for me if I bought the 2013. What did the dealer tell you that slot was for?

Thanks for the comments. OCD is a terrible thing to have! LOL!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,017
    It doesn't bother me in the least. I don't carry backseat passengers often so consider that. However, had many cars over the years that didn't have vents in the back of the console and did carry kids and nobody died or even were that uncomfortable. If it is really something that you have to have then I would say look at something else.
  • I knew it didn't have the rear vents, so I've not really noticed the 'gap'. Our little Scottie-girl will likely miss the rear A/C when we take a long trip in hot weather. The sloping cargo deck will bother her a bit, as well. She's not spoiled or anything. ;) Can't say we've ever used the rear vents for people...at least not in 40 months in the XC60; but Katie-girl enjoys the cool air on long trips. I'd likely pick a full-time 12v outlet in the cargo area before the rear vents, IF they asked me.
  • isixisix Posts: 2
    Help please! I just bought a new RDX. I tried to practice back in in my building's garage. I found twice that when I tried to back in (reverse), the engine suddenly became very loud. It's much lourder than normal. Anyone has the same problem? Is this normal for Acura's car? Or should I go to dealer and check it? What problem it might be? Thank you so much!
  • Not normal. suggest you take it to the dealer ASAP
  • I've had my 2013 RDX for less than a month. I love love love my car except for one thing. I use the ignition start button (my old car didn't have the feature), but on two separate occassions it has stalled.

It's not a huge concern, but I don't want it to become one. Maybe I'm pressing the button or pedal too lightly or for not enough time. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

One more thing, is it me or is the range for the garage/gate remote system really poor. I have to be in front of my gate to get it to read. With my old car, it would read from 20 ft away.
  • Our three month old RDX has had no such problems with the start/stall. The range on our 'Homelink' isn't as good as our recent Volvos'; but it's a lot better than 20 feet.

Our '10 XC60 had an early stall problem that Volvo took action on through a dealer bulletin; but I've not heard of that snafu with Acura. You might post over on Acurazine where a WHOLE bunch of Acura geeks hang out. ;)
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,017
    My Homelink distance is only up to about 20ft as well. My previous car with Homelink worked all the way to the end of the driveway which is about 60ft.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,987
    I will check my homelink next time I drive it, but I think it works from the end of the driveway, which is I think about 20'. Plenty for me!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• jjjones85jjjones85 Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    dmclone1, i just took my 2013 RDX to the dealership to have my bluetooth audio issue fixed as well. I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 and bluetooth audio worked 100% on my 2010 RDX, but sounds horrible on my 2013 RDX. They have not seen this issue before (it is a brand new car), but they said Acura released a software update for the radio system, so they updating that now. I will post back once I am able to test after the software update.

Anyone else noticing bluetooth audio (Music) problems with their 2013 RDX?
  • I bought mine last week in white for $1200 below MSRP and no dealer fees. Very happy with my purchase and how this car drives.
    :)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,987
    Have to say, this is way too small for travelling with a family. especially when your wife is a heavy traveller (lots of stuff), and is bringing coolers of homemade food for Christmas dinner.

with the 2 kids and all the stuff, the RDX is overflowing. Forget about seeing out the back, that is a solid wall of junk to the roof. And good thing the kids are skinny, because there is absolutely the minimum width left to squeeze them in. And most likely they will have stuff piled up on top of them after they are buckled in!

at least they won't fight about anything, since there is a wall of soft stuff between them high enough that they won't be able to see each other!

We may have downsized from the Odyssey 1 year too early. I did try to warn the wife when she picked the RDX that it was smaller than any of the other options we were looking at.

but somehow, I got it all in and the hatch is closed. Afraid to think what will happen when we get to the first stop and have to open it!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,863
    edited December 2012
    SPROINGGGGG

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Next door neighbors are headed out in their Pilot Christmas morning...1800 miles each way(someplace in Canada...too cold for me!). Mom, Dad, 3 boys 13, 16, 20 and a fair amount of stuff. They added a smallish trailer hitch platform for a little extra capacity. Guess they won't be bringing back any elk meat on this trip!

I can't believe there were FIVE of us kids in the back of the station wagon for MANY trips during the '60s!
    We're doing 1,000 miles today and tomorrow and took the Outback in case we hit weather (lousy all-seasons on the minivan). Even though we're traveling light it feels a bit claustrophic. The extra 5 or mpgs are nice I suppose.

Only Acuras that passed me today were MDXs though.

• i have a samsung galaxy s2, had 2010 mdx no problems, this one is giving me problems with the connection. besides the fact that the text feature doesnt work obnly bothers me a little. but to have the blue tooth always a pain to connect is pissing me off