Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Acura RDX

Comments

• When I purchased a 2009 RDX in 2010, I had a problem matching my Bluetooth Motorola ATRIX 4G. Someone from ACURA mentioned there was a special department which troubleshoots phone/Bluetooth sync problems. I called and the customer tech rep I talked to was able to talk me through a rather complicated (phone) reprogramming sequence. The problem was fixed in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately I don't remember the department or phone number. I only wish my phone worked as well with my new 2013 RDX. . The new ACURA Bluetooth & navigation systems SUCK and can only be remedied by ACURA revising their software. Unfortunately they won't in the name of "safety." The new systems produce just the opposite, force users into unsafe situations.
  • Of the two, the CRV is superior. Bought the outback and if you are thinking of doing the same, make sure you go to the outback forum and read about highway drift. If you can keep the vehicle between the white lines on the highway at 65+ mph you are a better person than most. And on bumpy pavement expect to lose at least one or two fillings
  • We are looking to buy RDX shortly, I and my wife are having a hard time deciding between Tech or no Tech. We never had any of the options (except the fog lights) that the tech package offers and sure that we will not miss them, but I would like to get people's opinion on the "usefulness" of the tech package in their experience with the car.

Thank you
  • The Tech package in my 2009 RDX (and with my wife's 2012 MDX) was great, but not so with my 2013 RDX. Missing is the SH-AWD..it has the basic AWD which doesn't bother me as much as the 2013 Bluetooth hands free and the navigation package. Had I known the subtle, but important changes, I would have not purchased the car. The Bluetooth phone system only accepts 20 voice tag phone numbers (vs. 50 on my 2009 & my wife's 2012 MDX). Not only that, but one can only access the complete phonebook when the car is stopped..not moving. Same holds true for the Navigation system...not even the passenger can change it while car is in motion. And attempting to change it via voice is MORE distracting than doing the old system manually. As far as I'm concerned, you are better off saving money by not buying Tech...instead buy a good Smartphone or IPad with GPS and a top of the line Bluetooth (Parrot). You could even add a good aftermarket remote start (the ACURA system is awful) for less than the Tech package.
  • thank you twwilliam, in the past we've always went with mid range car and mid range model, this time around we were thinking of going fully loaded, but the Tech package did not look very impressive to me and wondering if at least one of those options would make me happy in spending extra 4K, seems like it would not.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,954
    I agree with most of what the previous poster said. The base RDX also has bluetooth and the tech packatge doesn't upgrade the bluetooth much at all from what the base has. Ditto the previous poster on the nav. I have the tech and have only used the nav a couple of times and it is not very user friendly. I hardly ever use the fog lights because I pretty much forget they are even there to tell you the truth. The only think I do use, and like, is the power rear door but I certainly could do without it. I think if I had it to do over again I would have skipped the tech pkg.
  • I failed to mention that the fog/driving lights are basically useless. This is because of ridiculous fed/state laws which allow them to only on with low beam headlights. Recently was in a heavy snow squall. Both low & high beam high-power headlights in this situation are worse than no lights at all. Based on experience If one could only use the fog/driving lights, visibility would be much improved. As it was, I was only able to proceed slowly with just parking and front daylight lights on. This also applies to heavy fog.
  • I have the 2013 RDX no tech. Great car, have had for almost one year and now has 11k miles. Most problems I read on this forum seem to concern the tech add ons. I am glad I did not opt for the additional problems. Raise the hatch with your arm and get some exercise. Spend a hundred dollars of your savings on a Garmin and you will not regret it. Good luck
  • newronewro Posts: 19
    I just took delivery of a 2013 RDX without tech package. I came out of a 2010 TL and have had Acura's forever. To my surprise, while pairing up my iPhone I discovered that you have to select a number to call from the phonebook manually, in other words no voice activation as I had with the TL. What a huge step back this is and honestly its downright dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road in order to scroll through a phone book and pick out the desired number and then hit the call button. What in the world was Acura thinking about with this set up? Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or a planned software up grade. I have to say that had I known about this before I bought the car, I would not have gotten this car, I would have gotten the Murano,. Big disappointment.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,260
    you sure? I have never bothered to do it, but do remember that there are instructions in the manual about setting up your voice tags (or whatever they are called) so that you can use the voice commands.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I may not understand your message. I have the 2013 RDX no tech pkg. I have had it for almost one year. I have an iPhone 4 and after setting up the voice tags, I can call all numbers in my phone book by just speaking the name . Hope this helps.
    OK yes that is what I was looking for. I saw the voice tag section, does that mean that you have to set up a voice tag for each phone book contact? That could take a while but its better than nothing. How do you call someone that is not tagged using voice only? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    It is in the book, but I believe that you have to say each name to save it. The bluetooth pulls in the #s, and they get called up 1 at a time, you say/save the name, and move on.

for someone not in the book, pretty sure you can enter it but that would take effort before you drive. Otherwise you have to dial on the phone.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Can anyone share what they paid on their 2013 RDX Tech lease.

17800 All in 36mo 12K miles for me.

Wondering if there were better deals out there.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,876
    Pricing discussion is here...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• gmfornow3gmfornow3 Posts: 16
    Can an owner clarify what I read below about the powertrain in manual mode. If I purchase an RDX, when driving in snow, I may want to start/stop in second gear. Is this really possible? In manual mode with my current car, it often shifts automatically from second to first gear when I don't want it to in the snow.

"For improved stop-and-go performance and to prevent "lugging" the engine, the Sequential SportShift transmission will automatically downshift to First gear even though the transmission has been left in a higher gear, as the vehicle comes to a stop. In Manual Mode, when coming to a stop in Second gear, the vehicle will start in Second gear as well."
  • UGh.. I reallly like this car but my wife wants the power lift gate on the back. The tech ver is out of our price range plus i would not pay 4K for it anyway the only thing she would use is the pwr liftgate.

Any have an after market one installed? if so how much?
  • twwilliamtwwilliam Posts: 17
    Here is a possible solution??? http://www.rynomobility.com/load_n_go.htm

Load n Go by Ryno Mobility
  • ulfjohulfjoh Posts: 2
    We are planning on upgrading our Acura 2006 TL to a Acura 2013 RDX. We love the TL but hate the turning ratio.

The 2006 TL has (from the Edmunds website) a turning ratio of 39.7
    The 2013 RDX has (from the Edmunds website) a turning ratio of 39.0

The poor turning ratio of the TL was something that we knew when we bought the car and it was often mentioned in car reviews but we bought the car anyway.

I have not seen any (negative) comments anywhere about the turning ratio of the RDX so I assume it is not an issue. But the 39 feet does not sound that great to me. It is just 0.7 feet less than the TL which was terrible.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    /Kenneth
  • Well, heck. It does look like there are quite a few with tighter turning specs; but no so many 'high quality' vehicles in the bunch...
    http://vehiclepicks.com/car/top/for/with-a-low-turning-radius/suvs/2013

Coming from the XC60, I don't notice the radius is all that large for the overall size of the vehicle....right there with the RX and X3.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,954
    Interesting. I haven't found the RDX to be a problem in parking lots, etc. Maybe it has a fairly short overhang in front of the tires versus the TL. Actually I remember turning the RDX very sharply in a big, vacant parking lot during one my test drives before I bought it and it actually seemed to turn pretty sharply. That was one of the things I liked about it.
    I think it is fairly large. At least I feel that I have had to take extra swings a few times, even compared to our Odyssey.

though part of that is I am still getting used to the size (the bigger/higher hood) so I tend to think I am a lot closer than I really am. But, better safe than sorry!

just took a run from MJ to NC. Mostly highway running with a few small detours, and not babying it (70-75 mostly, occasionally hitting 80) and per the trip computer, got about 28.5 MPG. This is an AWD. Not bad for the driving.

• mbros2kmbros2k Posts: 71
    Sorry; gotta have adjustable rear air vents on a luxury SUV as well as an option for adaptive cruise control, or no deal no way...
  • dan_2dan_2 Posts: 1
    I got one with a tech package for 35,200. MSRP was 39,215.
    I got a 2013 RDX base in February and did not think the tech pkg was worth the extra dollars. I had TL's before and can count on one hand the times I used the fog lights. I have a great GPS that I use sparingly. That said, so far, minus a very annoying dash board rattle that will be taken care on next service, the RDX has been great. Drives great and so far very satisfactory.
  • ping11ping11 Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 RDX and it does not seem to work well with the phone integration which was a top requirement. I have had it in the service department already twice. The first time the sales person told me to buy a new phone which I eventually did. The second time, they tested it on 2 other RDX 2013's and found they had the same issue. One was even worse. The person on the receiving side hears a lot of static and may not even hear you.......They tell me this must be an issue with this car since it is a new model and that until a lot of people reported it, it would probably not be fixed. Anyone having this same issue? If so, please report it.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,118
    edited May 2013
    This happens with TLs too:

tinmantt, "Acura TL Bluetooth/HandsFree Link Problems" #269, 22 Nov 2012 12:32 pm

The Sedans host over there, Kirstie, tells me that some Acura owners have had to replace the entire hands-free module.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I have a 2013 RDX w/o the tech package, have it since Feb. 2013. On the plus side the car is comfortable with a great ride and good in the snow. The negative: that dash board rattle that you have, so do I and its going to get fixed this service. The blue tooth simply is second rate, very un Acura like. I have had 5 TL's before this, the last we traded for the RDX was a 2010 and the blue tooth worked fine, much easier and fluid to operate. Truth be told, I wasnt going to get another Acura but my wife was having trouble with the TL in the snow (first time for an Acura to be bad in the snow) and they made it relatively easy to trade into the RDX. The car is OK, but you to me at least, it seems a bit more cheaply made.
  • alisontalisont Posts: 2
    I've only had my RDX for a week but have been using bluetooth for streaming audio and calls with no issues.

Controls for operating the audio system and bluetooth are way better with tech package than without, thats one thing that swayed me to get the tech package even though I didn't really want the navigation system. Voice commands work well also.