Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Forester Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• My 2010 Forester has sluggish acceleration also. Once I went to pass on a highway and I thought I was going to be struck by the car behind me. As I accelerated, my car revved up to 5!! & basically was not moving! I hate the transmission in the Forester. Anytime I pull out on a highway, the car barely moves and again, revs up to 5! Dealer was not helpful; said that's how the car drives! If I had money, I would unload this car tomorrow! no wait, today!!
  • Bought a new 12 MT Forrester Premium last July and have been pleased with just about everything with the car in the 5,900 miles I have driven. Gas mileage has averaged 28 in suburban driving and 31 on the highway, while the AWD has been very helpful with recent snowfalls.

Unfortunately, the 6 months of trouble-free service I had enjoyed ended last weekend. I was on the interstate 100 miles from home with the cruise on at 65 MPH when the cruise disconnected, the check engine and traction control lights came on, and the cruise light starting blinking. The car was otherwise running fine and I experienced no other problems (other than the cruise being inoperative) in the 200 more miles before I returned home and took it to the dealer.

Dealer called the next day to say the car had been repaired and was ready for pick-up. The service advisor said that a misfire on cylinder #2 initiated the sequence of events that I observed. To fix it, they replaced the cam sensor air gap and reprogrammed the ECM. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix or something that will continue to happen. Other than that, I really love the car!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's how it is on modern cars, a little sensor goes and the whole on board computer flips out. If you disconnect any tiny emissions related hose it won't even start (ask me how I know).
  • OP again.

Twice in the last week, the car has had trouble starting. The first time it took two tries to get it to start. I was at work and tried starting it midday. Then, on Sunday, it took my boyfriend three tries to get it to start. I hadn't told him about the other time it had issues - so it wasn't just me projecting my issues on him (seriously - that was suggested).

I am so frustrated/angry/exhausted. The dealership keeps telling me that my car is perfect. :lemon:
  • Hello ,I am new to the forum and wanted to know if anyone else hates their forester as much as I do? I have read all the problems everyone is having over and over with the various model years and wanted to share my issues with my brand new 2013 forester X .first off it is the worst handling and most unstable car I have ever owned and I have owned a lot cars I my life! The car makes right turns by it self on the highway at highway speeds ,is blown all over the road by the slightest breeze and if I am behind a truck I have to hold on to the steering wheel for dear life for the draft of a truck or a truck passing makes this car act like you are driving a soapbox racer on the highway! The car reacts to every crack and seam on the road in a violent manner and I am always having to correct with the steering try to keep it on the road ,so much for a safe vechicle ! Will I wrote a letter to the CEO of SOA . Asking them to take the car back because of this problem and my wife is afraid to drive it and I am not to crazy about driving it either ,and apply the price of the car to a different model one that is stable on the road and does not move all over the place when a bird flys by and their response was "we have no legal obligation to do that"another words tough s***! Well seeing that the car only has 2000 miles on it and this has been going on since it had 0 miles! So all you folks out there from what I have read here in the forum SOA really could care less about their customer. Thanks for your time.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You should take longer test drives. Why'd you buy a vehicle you feel is the "worst handling"? :confuse:

New tires often follow the pavement, a phenomenon called tram lining. That lessens as the tires wear.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,273
    Having a car with the same suspension as yours, I'd have to disagree. But, that's not to say your car isn't having some problems. Have you checked the tire pressure? I would think you have after so many miles, but stranger things have happened.
  • I have an 06 Subaru Forester that the dealer says needs a new transmission. the car only has 103500 K on it. Is this normal? I thought these cars were built better than this. should I get rid of it or repair it?
2»