Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra vs Chevy Cruze

steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
hi folks,i have posted this message here incase anybody out there has been thinking about purchasing either of these cars.recently,i narrowed down my car purchase to these 2 vehicles.2012 hyundai elantra gls base model with auto and a 2012 chevy cruze LS model with connectivity package.msrp for the elantra was $18,860.00..and the msrp for the cruze LS was $18,865.00...however,the elantra has the better warranty,more power,standard cruise control and 4-wheel disk brakes..all of these things were missing in the cruze for almost the same msrp...no comparison elantra won out and it totally out performs the cruze and looks better doing it as well......

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Did you negotiate at all on the Cruze? Chevy dealers in my area are offering big discounts on the LS. I saw LS automatics advertised for under $16,000 the other day, and that was before any negotiating. At that kind of price, the Cruze looks a little better, but still lacks key equipment like cruise--and power mirrors too, right? Elantra has a lot more rear seat leg room also.
  • miranda200miranda200 Member Posts: 15
    I own a 2011 Elantra Limited. No problems not even a squeek. With a sunroof and warm leather seats it feels luxurious to me. My average mpg
    10 miles city each way to work is only 22-24. Must be a whole lot of idling at traffic lights. This week spring break with no traffic I averaged 30 mpg on my daily commute. And just for kicks on the highway the other day, I reset the trip computer at the top of a 2 mile hill and hit 100 mpg :o)

My sister bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze the same week. She's had to take her Cruze in for 3 recalls and one other problem the first year. Sorry I dont remember what the problem was. Price-wise hers was a bigger bargain.
  • bonita8bonita8 Member Posts: 5
    Is this deal good?
    I am trying to get a Chevy Cruze (basic) and the dealer gave me this deal
    36 month lease, 10K miles per year (since I rarely break 8K)
    $5750 check to me
    $149/month
    I am trading my '04 MDX with a value of about 9000 in KBB.
    How does this deal sound? they added in tinted windows and remote start
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might get more feedback if you post in our Cruze Lease Questions discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58

I had a 2012 Cruze which was traded for a 2013 Elantra GT leftover. I got a good deal on the GT but lost $10,000 in that short period of time. Yes, that's $10k depreciation between 2012 and 2014! To top it off, mine was a loaded LTZ model! Checked the Cruze's trade value before I went looking for a new car so I know that I got a fair trade-in allowance. So don't expect much if you get the Cruze! By the way, I had a 1.4 turbo. Unless you use the turbo to get up to speed or in passing, the engine's regular power is pitiful.

• litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    Got a superb deal on my 2013 Elantra in May 2013, after trying to get a deal on Chevy Eco-Cruze. At the time, Chevy wanted $21,000 for a low fuel consumption Eco-Cruze, wouldn't budge & tried to interest me in their other higher fuel consumption models. Presently at 22,000 miles, with 2 summers & only one winter's worth of driving, 15% city driving, I average 39+mpg with an all-around excellently tuned Elantra, carefully driven & tire pressures at 38psi. I think an Eco-Cruze would have averaged better mpg(41+mpg?) in my conditions, other Cruze models could not have beaten Elantra. Tho Elantra has more HP than Cruze, the low Elantra 131 lbs-ft of torque gives little acceleration until you dump 3 gears & rpms are way too high. People with turbo-Cruzes are much happier with acceleration than they would have been with Elantra. Took a test drive in a Cruze & the ride feels much more solid than Elantra. However, my Elantra is performing 100% & no problems, which may not be so for Cruze. Might have been interested in a diesel Cruze, but it would have cost $10,000 more than my Elantra. My Elantra is better looking than Cruze. Yeah, in the 1980's you could have gotten a cheap high mpg car. To get a high mpg car today, you have to pay a lot of money.
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    Our past 2013 auto Elantra (mentioned above) now is driven by another family member & we have a new 2016 manual Elantra for under $13,000. The 36mpg is excellent with my wife's stop & go commuter traffic & highway trips to her mom's place. With a trip to the ocean, got some ethanol-free gas, which gave 46+mpg, despite stops for beach-walking, hilly terrain & stop & go I-5 traffic, but mostly heavy & steady 60mph travel.