Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Prius V - likes/dislikes and cost

2»

Comments

• My Prius V has none of the issues you reported. My MPG for about 1000 miles is about 45. I see the EV sign often. I have a light foot on the gas.
  • Your golf bag test was without folding down the rear seats? I've been wondering why the booklets for the Prius v show only cargo area behind the rear seats. On one of the reviews I saw a figure of 65 cubic feet or so with the rear seats folded down. The seats don't fold flat. How useable is the cargo space for large and potentially heavy objects?
  • Yes, my golf bags and pull carts fit sideways no problem. The rear seats fold mostly flat, and they move forward as well. I know a 55" TV fits right in no problem. I've had golf bags plus two large bowling bags in the back without touching the rear seats, plus some luggage.

It's not a Suburban, but it does hold a lot compared to a sedan. It's the reason I gave up on small SUV's, they didn't have the size advantage anymore.
  • The EV will generally not show if the batteries are not warmed up yet, and/or it's very hot and the AC is cranking. After awhile, it pops up. If your trip is stop and go and short, the battery doesn't have enough recharging combined with ac cranking.

I've witnessed this only once, and I drove maybe 6 miles in 4 days, under hot and humid conditions. So the car never gets a chance to recharge, thus no EV light. Once underway, the EV will go on a lot under 30, and I've had it continue to 45 mph on flatter stretches.

My mileage so far is 42 plus average after over 3,000 miles.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I'm still comparing the V to my Gen II. It still seems odd to me that even though the V is 6" longer, the depth of the cargo area (measured on the floor from the rear seats in their upright position to the hatch opening) is within an inch of my Gen II. Also, the rear seat has less legroom as compared to my Gen II. So I'm still wondering where that extra 6" of length in the V went? I was hoping that the depth of the cargo area would have at least an extra 6" over my Gen II, but that's not the case.
  • I thought the V was supposed to have more legroom in the rear. Is the hood any longer?
  • lchowlchow Posts: 4
    I took off the roof rack and the mpg is like avg 38.8 /39.4/39.6 a huge difference.The one thing i notice difference between toyota and honda .In honda hybrid in S mode , the rpm always stay around 3K ,even when encounter small hill,The rpm remain constant so resulting in no engine whine on cruise .so what is the bad point??? The cruise speed set become down and down and electric power level goes up maximum but resulting small mpg down.
    In toyota hybrid prius V wagon, the power meter goes up maximum and engine wine become loud in cruise and the mpg dipped down.So i think the prius does not have available power from electric motor when in demand
    So honda hybrid does not stress out driver but very comfortable for long distance driving just put on cruise most of the time and no need to be very conscious of your food pressure just increase or decrease with button while cruise.
    toyota as soon as u put pressure on pedal the active mpg digital dip down to 25 ,30 even using the electronic button while cruise which never happen in honda . Prius v ,you have to release your foot to a touch level on pedal only to get EPA number which is gliding is really stressing for driver
  • lchowlchow Posts: 4
    I have same noise problem .dealership told me losing bolt in brake
    HOST: Can you make a headings/topics/ just for the Prius V. Right now the only one listed is 2012 Prius V likes/dislikes. The Prius V is completely different than the regular Prius. Prius V MPG, Prius V General, etc.
    Now that I own a 2013 Prius V, I can comment on the cargo space. The height is from 28" in the back to 31" at the point where the rear seats (in their upright position) meet the cargo area. The cargo area is about 36" deep & 39" wide on the floor, but is about 50" wide above the rear wheel bumps. And you can slide up the second row to give you more space, which is really good. The rear seats recline and that cuts into the cargo area, but if you slide the rear seats forward and then recline it can retain the same amount of space in the cargo area.

The tray under the floor of a regular Prius is much more usable, as it's one big open try, while the underfloor tray in the Prius V is divided up with thick stryofoam walls. I'm guessing they did this to accomodate a three row Prius V that only has the more narrow under floor compartment behind the third row. However, with a regular Prius I was using the underfloor cargo area all the time on family road trips, but with the Prius V's larger cargo area I doubt if I'll need to use it as often.

As a cost saving measure, it seems like the Prius V in the USA carries over a few things from a three row Prius V, such as the 12V outlet that would be in the third row, sliding second row seats, the plastic step-plate to access the third row, and the way the under floor storage area is designed.

Also, even though the head room in the Prius V second row only shows to be an inch more than a regular Prius, in reality when you have the second row reclined to a comfortable position you'll find there is a good 2-3 inches more headroom. When making the floor in the second row flat, the distance from the second row seat top to the floor has been reduced, which in turn reduces thigh support in the second row of the Prius V as compared to a regular Prius.

The main thing I've found is not to rely too much on the spec differences between the Prius V and the regular Prius. The Prius V is much more roomy and open than you would think just from looking at the spec differences.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931

If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2012-14 Toyota Prius, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

2»