Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need advice: What should I do with 2001 S Type?

hsl88hsl88 Member Posts: 1
Just got bad news on my 3.0 S-type, a car we have really liked. It's in pristine condition and too pretty to junk, but it has 136K miles and now the rear axle carrier needs to be replaced. I don't really know whether to have it repaired, and if it's not worth my repairing, what's my best alternative?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    I really only see two options here:
    1. Take it to a Jaguar dealership and see what they will give you for it. In order to re-sell it, they will have to do the repairs, of course, but they won't be as afraid of it since their service dept can do the repairs;
    2. Fix it. No one will purchase it from you in need of repair, and you can't drive it like that either. If you're wary of future repairs, you can fix it and then sell it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Ask around your area for reasonable repair shops that are familiar with European cars. Actually, any good shop should be able to so a swap of what is needed. It isn't rocket science to swap an assembly, just pick up a used one or have them find one. I use a mechanic at a local junk yard who builds stock cars, orf a family shop in the country that started out on VW bugs and progresseds to Audi's but work on anything. Most in the know go there. Every area has one. I blew a clutch drag racing in another state and locals refered me to a septic cleaning company. They gave me parts at their cost. No problems.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Very good suggestion! I'm not particularly knowledgeable about repairs and more exotic vehicles, so thanks for sharing your experiences.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews