Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Photo Gallery

Comments

• Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Thanks. I swapped the grille in the spring of 2001. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 225/50-17. Not currently on the car, as I now have the Dunlop SP5000s in the OEM size (215/60-16) on the OEM alloys.

Steve: I wanted the better handling and grip that the OEM profile couldn't deliver. I would rather have not spent the money on the wheels but wheels and tires are one place I will not scrimp on a car. The brakes may be excellent but if the tires can't grip they're useless. As for wheels I have seen too many bargain brand knockoffs of known designs fail with terrible consequences. I would rather brown bag for a couple of months to get the best I can afford.

They do look pretty nice, too. Not many people expect that in a Forester.

Ed
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I'll assume that you got to put the P7's through the paces, even though they rubbed.

I'm still going back and forth between the P1's and P7's. I've seen a few SL threads in the nasioc Tri-State about people bending them.
    Then again the Rota SDR's look nice too (if they're reliable).

-Dennis
  • Options
    Why get two sets of A/S's? Why not summer/winter or summer/all-season's?

-Dennis
  • Options
    Dennis: I only had the P7s on the car for about 72 hours. I didn't want to run into any warranty-related claims if I ran into trouble.

I know that my tire choices seem misguided but there's some logic to it.

I doubt I will auto-x this car ever again, so summer/track type tires aren't a consideration. I also hope to be in a situation where I won't need dedicated winter tires. The Pilot Sport's tread pattern can handle loose gravel well enough. It is a better summer performer than many dedicated summer-only tires.

There is also a good possibility that my wife will need a new car this year. One option that has been floated is that she take my Forester and I buy something else. If that something else is another Forester then the 17" combo can go on there. The SP5000/OEM alloy combo can stay on the car.

If that something else is a WRX wagon, then I come out badly in that the proper 17" tire fitment is 215/45-17. I would at least have a set of 17" wheels that will fit anything in the current Subaru range. The only other Subaru product that I would consider at this stage is a Legacy GT wagon, but not if it only continues to be available with the Phase II EJ25 in current tune.

I don't know if that made sense but that's how I'm justifying it to myself. :-)

Ed
  • Options
    In other words, Subaru had better give us a turbo Forester quick!
    I'll try to see you Sunday.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I'll shoot you an e-mail shortly, Dennis.

Hope to see you as well.

Ed
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Nice rims, now about those rusty rotors, when are you going to take them off and paint them.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    In my case it started with the need for a second set of rims for snow tires. Remounting twice a year makes no sense. I was going to get the basic black steelies with covers, but just couldn't bear living like that for 4+ months or so per year.

Now something you said: <As for wheels I have seen too many bargain brand knockoffs of known designs fail with terrible consequences> did strike a nerve. I checked into OB wheels from the dealer, but at $300 each, no way. I tried a number of recyclers (wrecking yards) that deal in foreign makes, but nothing. I thought about genuine WRX wheels (as take-offs are available, or I-club), but was under the mistaken impression that they were narrower (6" vs 6.5") to go with the 205 vs 225mm tires. So that left me with aftermarket. Now I know that it is probably a bias opinion, but the folks at TireRack suggested their house brand FOMB wheels. I can only hope that they do not fall into the category you make mention of!!!

Steve
  • Options
    Pat: paint rotors? Are you sure? Do you want brake pads touching paint? And wouldn't the paint wear off after the first application of the brakes? I've never seen a painted brake rotor, maybe some anodized ones but not painted.

Maybe you mean the calipers, in which case I'm not concerned about them. I like my aftermarket wheels but I'm not going for the boy racer look or trying to pretend I have four-pots. Besides, it'd be just another thing to make a dealer think I'm some mod-happy kid, giving them the thinnest of excuses to void my warranty.

Steve (fibber): I am thinking specifically of Rota brand wheels, which many WRX owners seem fond of for price and appearance. They are knockoffs of Speedline and OZ wheels and don't sem to be made to exacting tolerances. Early runs apparently required some kind of plastic centering hub to be inserted into the wheel (?) which doesn't strike me as a sign of quality.

Tire Rack's brand may be just fine; did you do any independent research?

I may have inadvertently started a flame war but I didn't intend that.

Ed
  • Options
    VHT I think is the brand name, anyway they make a high Temp. paint for rotors and calipers that holds up well, I have used it in the past, and yes the paint will wear off the swept area on the first application but so does plating.

Thats basically what you want to happen as the swept area is always clean anyway.

Of course having the rotors Cad. plated is the way to go but not really feasable on rotors that already have rust.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Okay, now you have me concerned about something that didn't concern me before. Are rusting brake calipers a problem that will have long-term effect on braking?

I'll look into the VHT paint either at my local NAPA or, if I have to, at Pep Boys. I hope it can be brushed on, otherwise they'll be a lot of masking, assembly and disassembly involved if in spray form.

I'm a bit distracted by this space shuttle explosion, will have to think about this more coherently later.

Ed
  • Options
    I did come across this thread on NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30- 9119

It speaks not only to the acknowledged weaknesses in the Rota product, but also to the effort by the manufacturer to satisfy concerned customers. Maybe the Rota product will improve, in which case I should retract my statement in part; time will tell.

Ed
  • Options
    The rotors will be worn out long before they rust out, my concern is purely from an appearance standpoint.

IMHO,rusty rotors behind a beatiful set of rims is a turnoff, in other words apart from the performance aspect what is the biggest reason to mount aftermarket rims, its to dress up the vehicle.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Not to worry - no flames here! Just genuine concern. Truth is, I didn't do much research at all on this one. I picked the tires carefully, but jumped at the rims more because I had heard of FOMB before, not because I really knew anything about them (they were round, pretty, not terribly expensive - what more do you need???)... Considering that I am truly the obsessive type, this was an increadible leap of faith into the unknown for me. Ross would be proud!!!

So take off the flame suit, and relax.

Steve
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    FoliaTec makes paint kits for calipers. I've used VHT paint for engines and headers, I would think if it can hold up to that street usage brakes would be fine too. I wouldn't bother with plating or painting discs personally.

-Colin
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I am indeed proud of you my son, my trout! Keep up the good work. Now that I am without a Subie, I find that my compulsiveness is much more under control. I may wash my present transportation device before summer, but I'm not sure it deserves it. My therapist says that at this rate, it might be safe to buy another Forester in 4-5 years.
    ;-)

Ross, now semi-retired and loving it
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Ross: Be a model patient, and get another one early!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    How are you long time no hear, I hope life is good, I agree with Paul get another subie early.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Hi Ross :D

What Paul and Pat said.

"T-Rufus" ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Ross. The Forester now comes with a turbo. Very tempting.

Greg

P.S. Good to hear from you.
  • Options
    And who you be callin' a 'trout', anyhow??? ;-)

Steve
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I have been keeping a VERY low profile. In part, that is because I am now only semi-retired. I just started a new job as a drug & alcohol recovery counsellor. This is similar to the volunteer work I used to do before I retired, but there is MUCH more work and a tiny bit more pay. If I bank ALL of my wages for the next 3 years, I could probably buy a 2003 Forester XS with sun roof. Living in sleepy Comox Valley, I cannot ever imagine a need for a turbo (although a turbot might be tasty.) I actually put in a full day today, but if i don't have to take a nap, I'll try to hit some of the chat.

Take care,

Ross

Steve - My trout is an old Newfoundland expression, but since I seem to recall you are a fellow fly fisher,...
  • Options

Some of you were curious. My '63 Studebaker Lark sedan, 62,200 original miles. I'm the third owner. Repainted in 2000 in the original color.

The Forester serves as an occasional parts hauler for the old dear.

Ed
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    Wow! Ed, it's beautiful.

-Ian
  • Options
    Beautiful car. Was there much damage from your ignition switch fire?

Ross - Did some deep sea fishing when I was young, but never been fly fishing. But it does look like a relaxing and enjoyable hobby.

Steve
  • Options
    No, Steve, very little actually. It shorted out against the inside of the dash. I had to have some wiring replaced as well as the bracket for the ignition switch itself (it had broken after 40 years). No cosmetic damage at all.

While the Stude mechanic had it, I went ahead and had him replace the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal - tough jobs to do without a lift. It had gotten very leaky - even by Studebaker standards - and even though I have a "car diaper" beneath it on the garage floor, its leakiness has been a source of consternation in the household. So it should at least keep my wife happy, lower my oil bills and improve the environment marginally. ;-)

It's ready to pick up but with the snowstorm today there's no way I could get it and drive it back here.

Ed
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Ed,

Nice photos. It's cool knowing I won't have to ever "imagine" what my Forester would look like with Prodrives.

Whoo-hoo! Original recipe black Foresters!

Ken
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ross: a nap? What's that? I forget...

-juice
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    in her native environment......

• Options
    Looks sharp, lower than stock. By how much?

-juice
  • Options
    a good 1.5", maybe even 1.8"? We did the install at the Ft. Meade Automotive Skills center. KONKILR was supposed to be there but called out sick. So it took me 6 hours of trial and error. But at least now I know how to run a spring compressor and an air drill! :)
  • Options
    Looks good, how does she drive? much firmer? when I lowered my Accord it was a little stiffer than stock but that thing ran like it was on rails.

There was not much trade off in comfort for a highly enjoyable car, I was able to do this as I drove the Accord exclusively, Rita was rarely in it, now that we have only one car I have to drive more conservative, so a lowered car would be a waste of time and money.

Plus there is that warranty thing car makers take a dim view of modified cars with warranty issues.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    That looks like the Lark that my folks had in the early 60's. Except it was blue. My Father-in-law had several Studebakers - a 1950 green convertible, then a 1956 (?) 4-door President. The father-in-law also had a lead foot.

MNSteve
  • Options
    Pre-alignment shakedown drive report:

Well maybe I have too much negative camber, but I will be bummed if the alignment makes it go away. This is one sweet setup. Damping over pavement heaves and expansion joints is smoother and more fluid than the AGX. Pretty low look, but not poseur.

And the fast corners? Jeez Louise. I have some track time and a dozen auto-x's under my belt (and 2 rallycrosses).....I'm no expert, but I'm not a newbie either. This set up is very, very easy to drive fast. Excellent set in transitions, great road feel, increased turn in sensitivity, great over pavement imperfections, lots of telegraphed info thru the wheel to the driver. We'll see what happens after the alignment. I will give it another few days for the springs to settle, then make an appt.
  • Options
    Will interesting to see what happens after alignment you probably will pleasantly surprised.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I hope you are right. I have a big stoopid grin on my face that hasn't gone away since Sunday afternoon. This set up is just fantastic, I wish I had done it a year ago when I first had a shot at version 5's. I do wish I had a wagon, but, this car is just sooo well set up now...lordy. All I need is more power. It is just a joy to drive. I wish I was driving it right now. It is the #2 daily stress reliever, #1 being the pictures of Kirsten mounted under on the visor and the little bead gecko she made for my rear view mirror stalk. Gotta have those talismen when you are in sales.
  • Options
    I know what you are saying, although I love my GT to death, with the exception of the brakes when I finally get around to installing them the Gt is stock and will remain so.

I miss my 89 Accord every single day, that car was just a joy to drive, it cornered like it was on rails, it was dropped about 1.75 inchs. the engine had head and cam work, along with headers and a catback and intake, gave it some grunt in the midrange where Hondas really need it, and to top it off it was totally reliable.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Check out the engine.

you can see the intake and the dc sport headers.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Whats not visable in the photo is a fabricated cold air intake, comes up below the K&N filter from under the front bumper it was made from aluminum dryer hose low tech but it worked.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You need a turbo in there. My buddy just did the Lude-speed kit on his RS and it is totally awsome! :)
    I envy your setup :)

-mike
  • Options
    You could eat off that engine! It's cleaner than most of my plates at home.

Ludespeed is out of business, right? Major bummer.

It would be fun to turbo Sandy, just for the rarity. But I want that big honking moonroof too.

-juice
  • Options
    both viable once the car is paid off for a couple years:
    1) used WRX wagon
    2) used WRX driveline (either 2.0l or, better, 2.5t) and associated wiring dropped in.
  • Options
    that's a great looking bay! So refresh my memory, what happened? It got wrecked, didn't it?
  • Options
    Nope, sold it to my daughter, it now resides with her at Fort Hood Texas,she had wanted it from the day it was new, it is now in good hands and she will continue to take care of it as I did.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Ice sculpture of Cinderellas carriage from winterlude in Ottawa.

Every year there is a celebration of winter and ice carvers and sculptors come from all over the world to compete and demonstrate their considerable skills.

Cheers Pat.

• Options
    There is a link to the whole album over in the meet the members thread.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options

...and once we were dug out (Hey, does that look like too much negative camber in back tou you guys?)

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Love the silver Legacy.

-mike
  • Options
    Looks like a Suzuki X90 when covered in snow.

Been havin' fun out there?

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290640109

Sales rep lady said about $28k for the XT, fwiw.

I have more photos from the show not uploaded yet, but these are all the XT pics. Enjoy - I did!

-Brian
This discussion has been closed.