Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    I guess I thought you were saying /defending..their point and understood why. I see now that it looks like you weren't. I was wondering how anyone could see their point but was prepared to be open minded enough to have my listening ears on.

Anyway, sorta veered off thread here, we're lucky Shiftright gives us a bit of leeway here at times.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Well sold. Funny that a car of that year is now old and quirky, how time flies. I like your line of salesmanship too, reminds me of when I sold my W126 - I'm asking 5K for it, not 10K, there's a reason for that (miled up, a few small needs). Seller had it inspected by his mechanic, knocked a few hundred off (I knew it was going to a good home), and the deal was done.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Looks to be in really nice shape. You use Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds to price it? :P
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    I was going to laugh - but there are areas of the US where a helmet is not required, so I can't. At least it isn't for asinine bleeding heart reasons in the southlands, rather, for "freedom" reasons. Wouldn't be a point of contention in any legitimate first world area - haven't heard of any headgarb wearers in Europe being so contentious. Hell, I am concerned if I am in jeans (no armor or leather) on a bike if I am going more than maybe 35mph.

And more tax dollars at work when they crash. Damage sometimes even a mechanic who repairs people can't fix.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,603
    I don't use any of the books when I sell one of our cars.

I look at the overall market and price it from there.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    What do you mean you look at the "overall market"?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Looks really nice... I'm not surprised it sold fast....

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

We have our share of other type winners (ugh) here too..unfortunately..

Take the Harley rider activist about three years or so ago, who was in a crash enroute to a no-helmet-give-me-my-freedom-rights movement. Ya, he killed himself. Cause? Massive head injury. In that case I hear there was no need to spend many tax dollars on the poor slob..I guess it was evident when they got to the crash scene that lights and sirens wouldn't be necessary on the way back to the hospital..

But talk about the ultimate loser demonstration, eh?

Sometimes you see "FAIL" used a little too loosely on the internet. But then there's the odd time nothing better fits..
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    My trigger finger did start to itch a little with this somewhat off topic foray, but if we could steer it back to the idea of where our next talent pool is, in the auto repair field, then we can keep working on this point of view.

Here's how I usually price a car--at least a more modern one:

I go to Autotrader, use the "advanced search", and do a nationwide search on my year, make, model, trim line, miles, etc---so I try to match as closely as I can to the car I'm selling.

Once I get the results (often 30 to 100 ads), I look at the bottom of the page for their "price checker calculation", which shows the highest asking, lowest asking, and average asking of all the ads.

I take that "average asking" price as my guide--it's going to be a bit higher than "reality" but I think if I got the average asking price, I'd be doing okay.

I sometimes will adjust the "bell curve" by putting limits on the price in advanced search. In other words, to eliminate the one or two ads that are asking $22000 for a $7500 car.

edited May 2013
    Oh, I'll look at the books and I'll look at Ebay bidding and take it from there.

I'll price my cars accordingly taking into consideration the desirability, time of year etc. It's bright and sunny now with temps in the high 70's so people want convertables.

Mine had exceptional looks and it ran perfectly. I know we looked at probably ten other ones before buying this one.

Our cars have usually sold to the first looker.
    I don't think I would hire a turban-wearing mechanic to work on my vehicle. There are far too many instances that it is hard enough to get even a bald head into areas with space constraints, without the extra bulk of a turban.

Then there's the extra heat (read frustration causing maybe a rushed/compromised job during hot humid work conditions) created by having such a layered head adornment.

And further, there are a ton of things that it could catch on which will also use up clock time and frustration. The guy would have to not only be a great mechanic but exhibit the epitome of patience, and charge by the job, before I would consider hiring him for a second.

And lastly, why should I be on the depreciation receiving end of a grease stain on my head liner? Have you priced a headliner lately? Expen$ive..

Life is complicated enough without adding this to it..
    Shifty, that's a good question because so many veteran mechanics/technicians are so negative about teh business now that they actually try to talk woud be
    techs out of becoming one.

If I were thinking about this for a career and I were to read cardocs posts I know I would have been scared off.

Miserable jobs, the HUGE expense of buying tools, the difficulty now of beating the flat rate times.

I know it wouldn't be for me.
    Can you imagine getting a turban caught in a moving fan belt?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    edited May 2013
    Not any more than a toque, and I'm sure lots of guys in Gimme's neighborhood garages wear them. You guys sure like to make mountains out of molehills.

Hey Doc, do you wear a wedding band when you work on cars? How about a watch?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited May 2013
    Steve, it is obvious you are not very familiar with turbans in your area. In one way you are correct in that we are toque experts here, and with that consideration the TALLEST toque I have ever seen (on a ski slope with a guy making a fashion statement I presume) was STILL only HALF the height of a turban.

Plus, you can take a toque off and put it back on a bit later after the job, without not only the complication of re and re, but not breach any religious rules to boot.

In all fairness, I don't think I'm over-emphasizing the negatives of a Sikh mechanic in an unreasonable way. Let's let doc decide. We'll have him envision HAVING to wear the turban ALL the time during his jobs, no matter WHAT the job. And because I doubt there are many Sikhs in doc's neighborhood, I'll help him out with the approx dimensions...about 10-14" higher than his head depending on his height I believe (but I am no expert)..and the top one third must be considerably larger in diameter than any other portion of the turban...the bottom (no matter how big doc thinks his head may be at times...hahahaha I kill myself sometimes lol) as in...apprx 10-12 " wide from about the 4- 6" high mark and up. Does this sound like something that wouldn't be too intrusive (or as isell points out..dangerous) when working on a vehicle?

And I'd wager that he wears a wedding band, but not the watch. Watches get beat up badly even if they weren't a pain in other regards. I don't know about doc's size, but I know I am constantly frustrated by the size of my arms and hands etc when reaching in to get to somewhere. The last thing I need is a watch sticking out to catch on stuff.

And technically, I suspect that doc is smart enough to not wear a wedding band either, but not for the reasons you might think...if it was me I wouldn't because as an example...old motor oil is not healthy to get on your skin let alone linger under a ring where soap and water and D&L (assuming he uses that...have always meant to ask him what his favourite soap/degreaser is) can't get at it to wash and flush out. Some rings are pretty tight on a finger. I don't wear one myself.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    edited May 2013
    Still think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Go google some images; there's plenty of religious headgear that doesn't have dangly bits - safer than wearing a scarf or necktie around the fanbelt. I don't buy your headliner argument either; there's plenty of tall mechanics with greasy heads, wearing ball caps or not. Plenty of 4" pompons on top of toques too.

Helmet laws I like - naturally Michigan overturned ours last year so idiots of any religious persuasion can wind up on permanent life support.

I'm trying to remember the guy I met who lost a ring finger working on a pickup but it's been too long now.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Either a man can do the job or he cannot--who cares what he wears? That's his problem to solve. Maybe there's a "work turban"? Obviously in their country of origin they have solved the problem somehow.

Modern cars are pretty clean afterall---not like the greasepits we've probably all worked on.

I am totally in favor of helmet laws also. And I do ride. In fact I have ridden since I was about 10...and I'm closing in on 60 soon. Got a full face helmet soon after they were invented. I've taken a lot of 'stuff' in the face over the years. Once a few years ago I had a sparrow ride into the rad of my 954 at about 230 kph (about 140+ mph). You sure wouldn't want to take that on the noggin with an open face or no helmet at all. I've had stones, rubber, bees, cigarette butts, june bugs...they're a bit like a soft stone at speed) and spit all taken in the head over the years. I'll take the fullface thank you..

All my nephew's kids ride now too, and all in full gear. If they aren't, they can't ride. One of them started on a little mini y zinger when he was about 6, haha
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Either a man can do the job or he cannot--who cares what he wears? That's his problem to solve. Maybe there's a "work turban"? Obviously in their country of origin they have solved the problem somehow.

Bingo!

Who repairs cars, jet airplanes, etc. in India? How any would anyone guess wear turbans or other types of head-gear?

I'd bet they've figured it all out by now...