Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    This tool kit works well.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GEARWRENCH-Service-Kit-2HLF3

There is also this one
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200391518_200391518

and this works great if you have a strong air hammer
    http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-16120-lisle-43300.aspx

As far as trying to remember which way the fan comes off, simply look at the pitch of the blades. The fan is going to be turned by the belt in the same direction that it must be turned to be removed, drag from the pitch of the blades would cause the fan to tighten onto the pulley if it were loose. So you simply have to "turn the blade faster than the belt is driving it" and you'll always be turning it the correct direction to remove it. As mentioned, some are left hand thread, while other cars are the conventional right hand thread.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    edited November 2012
    i couldn't replace one rotor that had the quality I felt comfortable with, for the price you paid for everything.

BMW thermostat -- it's like everything else...the first time you do something, it takes forever, the second time, it's a lot faster.

That's why when people ask me "how much labor to replace an X", I always say: "It's 4.5 hours book time for a mechanic, and it's two days for you". :P
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,350
    Hey roadburner...

Naturally if I don't drive our BMW for two weeks, the battery go's dead and that is the case right now.

Is there a trick to hooking up a charger to the battery in the trunk where I cn disable the two trunk lights? I tried using duct tape on the button but it's way too strong. It looks like I'll have to pull out the battery unless there is a trick that I'm missing.

Still trying to get is through emissions so I can e register it.

Fun car but SO typlcally German!
  • just pull the bulbs out of the trunk lights. How often are you in your trunk at night?
    I thought of that too but they look tricky to pull out. I would just put them back in after teh batter is charged up.

It was dark last night when I looked so I'll give them another look. I just thought there may have been a trick the shops use.
  • well you could pull the wire off the push button switch and tape it up.

OR

If the battery charger cord were long enough, the trunk lid would probably close over that, no problem.
    I thought about slamming the trunk lid on the cord but I was afraid the battery wouldn't be able to vent.

I have seen, first hand, car batteries explode and it isn't pretty!

Goiing to go look at it now...
  • Oh that's a point---venting---best to leave it open.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    I have seen, first hand, car batteries explode and it isn't pretty!

That's one experience I hope to miss. Definitely not on my bucket list.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    Before my trick that alignment would have paid me about $21.00 to do if I had also adjusted camber both sides. After the manager saw how well my idea worked, it went back to $6.50 for the whole thing just like a toe and go.

:sick: So much for innovation.

When innovation is not rewarded, the end result is that you don't have innovators.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,018
    I thought about slamming the trunk lid on the cord but I was afraid the battery wouldn't be able to vent.

Sorry for the late reply, but two comments:

1. The battery should be vented to the outside already if it is trunk mounted. A vent tube should be connected to the battery.

2. There is a positive terminal located under the hood for jump starting; you can hook up the trickle charger there. That is what most owners do.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,958
    edited November 2012
    positive terminal located under the hood for jump starting;

Shoot, if I had known that perhaps I could have saved a guy from unpacking his trunk at a rest area last year when he was trying to get a jump in his BMW. It was pretty obvious he was on a long vacation - lots of duffle lying around.

Since then I've learned that our Chrysler owning friend has her battery buried in the fender well, and her car also has the remote terminal deal.
    I managed to jury rig it with a 2X4 and it's charging now.

Fezo, an exploding car battery can make an M-80 sound like a cap pistol.

I had forgotten all about the terminal under the hood....duh! Next time I'll use that! Thanks for reminding me!
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    edited November 2012
    Oh that's a point---venting---best to leave it open.

Don't those trunk mounted batteries like in the BMWs have a vent tube that passes through the fender to the outside? I think the one for my '87 '325 was that way.

Ooops, didn't see roadburner's reply :blush: .
    Don't those trunk mounted batteries like in the BMWs have a vent tube that passes through the fender to the outside? I think the one for my '87 '325 was that way.

They are supposed to, however many people improperly choose to install a cheaper battery and ignore the vent hose.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,018
    They are supposed to, however many people improperly choose to install a cheaper battery and ignore the vent hose.

I know that Advance Auto, Autozone, and Interstate batteries come with a vent tube adapter if you are buying a battery size that is designed to fit a BMW(91, 48, etc...). The problem is -like you said- the nitwits who buy the cheapest battery that will physically fit in the tray.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• My only concern with using the engine-bay jump start connection (I thought of that, since my MINI has one, too), is I'm wondering if the long road back to the battery will steal a fair amount of current away from that dinky charger. Sure, a heavy jumper cable, no problem, but pushing 1 amp through a 12 foot long connector cable might result in the charge taking a very long time.

On the other hand, the slower the charge the better---so maybe it's not such a bad idea.
    Sure, a heavy jumper cable, no problem, but pushing 1 amp through a 12 foot long connector cable might result in the charge taking a very long time

You might want to re-think this.

Would it take a long time tryin to charge a battery at one amp of current flow, why of course. But the resistance of that cable isn't the reason.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    edited November 2012
    Well it's tricky----the LENGTH of the wire most certainly causes MORE resistance, but the WIDTH of the wire causes LESS resistance.

So how to calculate what's at play in this case?

My only credible response is that I do know that the longer the cable, the more the resistance.

I also know that he'd be much better off with silver battery cables than copper ones! :shades:

So let's see here.....that would be R = P L
    A

so what's your trick question?

I think they guy who sold me the BMW did just that. I sure don't see a vent hose!