Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    it's precisely calculated guessing, but every now and then it's the best one can do.

Until experience, proper training and a disciplined approach lead to a better way.
  • As Lee Iacocca used to say: "By the time you have gathered up 100 % of the facts, the train has left the station".
    Lee Iacocca also invented Fords seat belt interlock system......
  • and the Mustang.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Best of all, the flat floored FWD minivan.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    My BIL has a 2008 Chev Impala, that he doesn't really like. It has less than 22K miles -it is used for 5 months in the winter in Florida.

Lately he has a noise from the air conditioner fan. It doesn't come on when the car is running but it comes on and makes noises when the engine is turned off.

GM won't help, the car is way past warranty period, even though it only has less than 22K miles on it. The dealer said they would do a free diagnosis test but that the instrument panel would probably have to come out to fix it. My BIL has considered taking it to an independent garage as they would probably do a free diagnosis anyway, and the actual repair may cost less.

Anyone got any ideas?

Happy Thanksgiving to all........................

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the dealer thinks it is the a/c adtuator.

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Are you talking about the fan under the hood?

Or the fan in the interior that circulates air inside the car?
    Or the fan in the interior that circulates air inside the car?

The fan inside the cars. I wrote to my BIL to get more details. I recall him saying it was quiet when the car is driven, but the fan continues to turn and there is a lot of noise coming from the fan - when the engine is turned off.

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Ok, I know some cars can be set to do what is called an 'afterblow'. This basically runs the AC/Heat fan after the car is turned off. And, I would guess this runs at the max fan speed, which is probably pretty loud. This is done mainly in humid locations and it dries out the condenser (evaporator? I never know which is which) that is inside the car. This helps to keep mold and other smelly things from growing in there.

This is usually not done in a car, but I know that 'tuners' or the dealer service people with their tech tools can set some cars so they do this. It's usually done after an owner complains about smells when starting up their car.
    And, I would guess this runs at the max fan speed, which is probably pretty loud.

Interesting answer. I learned something....I wondered why fans keep running when I turn my car off. I don't know if that is the problem though since it is a 2008 model, and this problem just started.

The dealers first response was that it was an actuator problem...whatever that is!

Which he changed into a Pinto....
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,705
    >I wondered why fans keep running when I turn my car off.

I believe your car has so much restriction on the room under the hood that there is a small computer that receives input from things besides the coolant temperature and can turn on the engine cooling fans if the temperature under the hood is too high without regard to the coolant temperature.

This message has been approved.

• take it to heart, Doc...pride cometh before a fall.
    Thanks for the possible suggestions guys. My BIL had a chance to take the car in today so he got it fixed. It was an air conditioner actuator that had to be replaced - cost $180.

Here is the technical aspect of what an actuator does and how it works - far to technical for me;
    http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=294

• Wonder what would have caused the blend door actuator to remain on after the key was off? I'd be interested to hear feedback if this replacement actually solves the problem.
    Wonder what would have caused the blend door actuator to remain on after the key was off?

I can't answer that question, but I do know replacing the actuator has solved the problem....no more clunking noise when the engine is turned off. Cost was $180 and they didn't remove the instrument panel, they got to the actuator through the glov e box.

• Some of these return to a neutral or default position at power down to ensure the position encoder has a known starting point. That's why it appeared at power off. It's a common problem.
    edited December 2013
    That's why it appeared at power off.

Thanks rustywer.......I learned something interesting today.

• Now here's an interesting question: I've never heard of THIS before: (any ideas anyone?)

(RE: a 2000 Trooper automatic) "When I proceed onto road after 100 yds it acts as if I am in neutral drive 3&2 do nothing but will drive in 1st gear.. now the crazy part is my father has a large feild and I can literally drive truck all day as long as bouncing around and all gears work and doesn't matter whether in 4 wheel drive or not