Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271

ATF fluid level? Loose oil pickup in the pan?

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403

Oh, so you mean the jiggling of the car in an uneven field would slosh the fluid around enough to allow the transmission to engage, while on a smooth road it would not---that's an interesting theory, but I dunno...it's out there......

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,141

ok. So I have another mystery. Well, maybe not a mystery, but ... I dunno.

The CEL came on the van on Sunday. I didn't have time to check it and figured it was probably just the gascap again anyway. Wife was then driving it Monday night. She was about a quarter mile from the daycare when, per her description, the traction light came on, steering got real stiff, brake pedal become hard and nonresponsive, and the car started to slow. She managed to get it to the side of the road before it completely stopped itself.

She called me from the side of the road, car was still idling. I asked her to cycle the ignition off and on again. The TCS light went away and everything seemed to be functioning normally again. I told her to drive carefully to the daycare and she could call AAA from there. Well, she wound up driving it back home, too.

I searched the ole interweb and found 2 similar reports (I think 1 was here on Edmunds) that supopsedly both led to a bad EGR valve. And, sure enough, when I got home that night and checked the CEL, it pointed to EGR valve.

My problem is, how/why in the world does a bad EGR valve lead to TCS light and dead brakes and power steering?! I have ordered the part and gaskets and should have them tomorrow. I just worry that's not really the solution.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391

@qbrozen - Well, I don't know on that vehicle how the EGR system would be linked to the power steering, but power brakes are controlled on vacuum, and if the EGR valve is not functioning properly, that could very well affect other vacuum-controlled systems.

If the car actually stalled while she was driving, that could replicate most of those symptoms.

@MrShift@Edmunds said: If the car actually stalled while she was driving, that could replicate most of those symptoms.

That's what I thought initially, too, but Q said that the car was still idling when she came to rest on the side of the road...?

Right. No stalling. The TCS must have slowed the car. The steering concerns me...but maybe that's something to do with the TCS as well?? But why should the EGR affect the TCS?

Vacuum was also my thought. Its about the only thing that KIND OF makes sense. But without being able to completely resolve it in my mind bothers me. It is an incomplete theory at best. Really not even a theory, just a WAG.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613

@qbrozen said: Right. No stalling. The TCS must have slowed the car. The steering concerns me...but maybe that's something to do with the TCS as well?? But why should the EGR affect the TCS?

Vacuum was also my thought. Its about the only thing that KIND OF makes sense. But without being able to completely resolve it in my mind bothers me. It is an incomplete theory at best. Really not even a theory, just a WAG.

I'm hesitant to say this, but 'cardoc' might be able to help.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271

@explorex4

He'd probably want to "have some fun" with the problem- and then blame gbrozen because he didn't take the car to a "professional technician"... :D :D :D

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

so far, so good. Van seems to be running smoother, shifting smoother, and the brake pedal is firmer. I just hate not understanding why a lousy EGR should cause so much havoc.

edited December 2013

Well if the bad EGR was sucking off a lot of vacuum, that could explain most of it---but you know, you weren't a witness to the event so maybe in the confusion of the moment some things were perhaps not simultaneous but sequential.

edited December 2013

yes, that's usually a problem. the first thing she said was "a yellow light with squiggly lines came on."

palm-->forehead.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,944
    edited January 16

Had Subaru problems this week. My '97 has a dealer installed OEM alarm that has always caused grief. I pulled the actual siren in '04 or so and turned it "off" with the dip switches a year or two after that. The key fob is tied in with it so I never wanted to completely pull it out.

Last week the passenger side rear door wouldn't open unless I unlocked all the doors a second time with the fob. After unlocking all the doors with the fob; seems like I had to open the driver's door and then fob the rear one open or use the switch on the dash. All the other doors and the hatch worked normally.

We drove it Monday and parked it. Tried to drive it Tuesday and nothing. The lights worked but there was no click. Hooked up the trickle charger and let it charge most of the day and overnight.

Wednesday it still wouldn't start. Tried to jump start it and nothing. The alarm seemed to be acting up though and when I'd put the key in the ignition, the dash lights would momentarily flash. So I'm thinking either the alarm is flaky or there's some other "ground" issue going on or the battery has a bad cell. Maybe the starter.

Checked my notes and my last battery was installed in 2005. Okay, should get a new one anyway after 9 years. The counter guy "load tested" the old battery and nothing registered. Funny thing was that my mechanic was at the counter too picking up a part and asked me if the Quest had died. He was in a bit of a hurry and I didn't get the chance to quiz him on the no start. Or maybe he ran to avoid the free advice, LOL.

So $90 later, I swapped out the old $40 Walmart Exide for a Carquest (JCI?) one. Nothing changed. Tapped on the starter a little but not aggressively. Time for some sleep engineering.

This morning I had the epiphany - try cranking it in neutral. D'oh, cranked right up. Turn off, put in Park, cranks right up.

I probably could have gotten another year out of that $40, 9 year old battery. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

So you have a wonky neutral safety switch? You'd best get under there and see if it's loose, or the linkage is falling apart or some such. Your battery was overdue anyway. Chalk that one up in the "proactive" column.

Could be. The several weeks of cold (zeroish) weather is just hard on stuff.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,593

After NINE years, did you really want to try coaxing that battery another year?

I think Shifty has this nailed!

@Stever@Edmunds said: Could be. The several weeks of cold (zeroish) weather is just hard on stuff.

What?! Bah. You're going soft, Steve!

edited January 16

@isellhondas, I was surprised when I looked at my logs to see that the battery was that old. Hunted down my receipts to see if I forgot to write one replacement down, but apparently it was getting up there.

And yeah, if I had managed to get it started before replacing the battery, I'd try for a few more months. :)

My previous best as I recall was 8 years. This guy has me beat. On an OEM battery to boot.

I'm sure there's a Guinness Book of Records entry for this, if you feel so inclined to go for it, Steve.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,593

The battery in our 2003 CRV is five years old. If it even gives the SLIGHTEST hint of impending doom I'll replace it. I like replacing car batteries on MY terms rather than getting stranded somewhere on a dark rainy night!