Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,610
    Those Northstars were notorous for leaking oil at the rear where the block mates together. I guess all of the earlier ones do this sooner or later.

My buddy was quoted someting like 4500.00 to fix his. This would have exceeded the value of his car.

Luckilly, a delivery truck ran into him and totalled his Cadillac.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    I don't know how feasible it is, not being schooled in engineering, but I'd like to see cars develop more kinds of 'quick-release', engine-out technology, so that the engines and transaxles can be serviced outside the car. We already have a number of FWD cars with "service modes" which allow you to pretty much pull the entire front end off the car, or at least away from the car.

Electronics disconnects will be tricky, what with all the multi-plexing going on now.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,708
    Pop an engine out and back in? My driver side DRL bulb is out, and I think I'm going to have someone replace it for me.. Looks like the whole air box has to come out. :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    You have to pull the front bumper on my Mazdaspeed 3 to R&R the xenon low beam bulbs...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174
    sounds like you just reinvented the VW Beetle. Couldn't 2 guys with a pipe wrench drop the entire drive train in about 1/2 and hour?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    you have to pull the front bumper on my Mazdaspeed 3 to R&R the xenon low beam bulbs...

Same thing is true for my son's Acura TL.

Wonder what I'm going to find when I have to replace the HID bulb in my G37 :sick: .
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    RE: OIL FILTER --- well, my first reaction was: Given that your average Hyundai already runs 175,000 miles routinely with no engine failure, using "plain ol' oil and filter"---what exactly is the goal here

You might be surprised to learn that many Hyundai engines don't last that long and even for them as the technology gets more exotic, the incidence of failure tends to increase.

Here is another filter spec sheet.

http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LCW/mobil-1-ep-oil-filter-design_amer_en.pdf

If we learn what the differences are and consumers don't, then we get slammed once again.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    1 guy.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    That Mobile 1 filter document you provided the link to looks more like a marketing brochure than a spec sheet.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,610
    I had a guy that worked for me tell me that he could pull a VW Beetle from the parking lot to his stall, install a new clutch (have to remove the engine) and have it reparked in the lot in a half hour.

I didn't believe him until he did that one day with time to spare.
    They might fail occasionally due to manufacturing defects, but rarely due to oil problems or filter problems. If it's not a factory defect, then it's usually owner neglect.

If you buy a brand name filter and use synthetic oil, you're fine. All the rest is marketing hype IMO. Fear-based.

I've had more cars than birthdays, and I've never blown up an engine. Why? Am I special? Blessed? A genius?

No. I just take really good care of my cars.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    edited January 2013
    I've never blown up an engine (unless losing a few headgaskets on my '89 Voyager under warranty counts) and I use whatever is on sale at NAPA or Walmart. Regular SuperTech and Frams usually.

We have been tire-kicking new cars for years now but that's part of the dread on the flip side - special oils, more complications, more stuff to break. If Thecardoc has to spend so much time keeping up, what's a poor slob like me supposed to do? (not to mention I'm an hour or two away from a dealer).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Until this oil filter company benches tests engines for extended mileages and shows marked and measurable difference in internal wear, fully documented and peer-reviewed, I'm not buying their "new" product.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    I need some serious facts to make me switch from the Motorcraft FL-1A I've using in my Mustang for the last 21 years.
    This could all be "scientific" JU-JU...in other words, the marketing department takes some very credible sounding "fact", like...oh, I don't know...something like "our filter will screen out particles down to X microns".......and you say to yourself "Wow....X microns".

The problem is that your engine doesn't CARE, nor is affected, by particles the size of neutrons....really, it doesn't....... :P They will just gladly bounce around in suspension until your next oil change.

After all, engine and cam bearings do not touch---there is space between them, and plenty of room for a neutron or heaven forbid, something even bigger.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    I use Mobil 1 filters exclusively on my Wrangler's 4.0- primarily because Advance Auto has a promotion every few months where you get a good deal on 5 quarts of M1 and they throw in a M1 filter for next to nothing. I do stick with OEM filters on my BMWs and Mazda.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    edited January 2013
    My '02 Explorer had 133k on it, and I have never changed the oil.
    I let the dealer do it every 5k and rotate the tires at the same time.
    It costs me between $40 and $50, depending if I have a discount coupon or not.
    I just changed the drive belt on my Honda Snow blower.
    If I admitted to my mistakes, CarDoc03 would sent me to the wood shed for a whuppin.
    This could all be "scientific" JU-JU...in other words, the marketing department takes some very credible sounding "fact", like...oh, I don't know...something like "our filter will screen out particles down to X microns".

Nice! You're on the right track.

The problem is that your engine doesn't CARE, nor is affected, by particles the size of neutrons....really, it doesn't.......

But there is a particle size that getting larger than it can cause significant issues. That size is widley accepted to be 20 microns.

So these filters advertise that they are almost 100% effective at particles 1/3rd larger than the permissible size. How effective are they at the 20 micron size, and how many grams of debris can they hold before they are forced to bypass?

I wonder who's filter sheet I should link next? You really need to look at the specs for some of the $1.99 filters out there.
    If I admitted to my mistakes, CarDoc03 would sent me to the wood shed for a whuppin

LOL. You should see what it takes to do a head gasket on some of today's engines.
    This is hard for me to read and I'm not talking about the writing skills of the technicians.

http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/automotive-technician/AUTOMOTIVE-TECHNICAINS-DON- T-GET-PAID-WELL/t32112

I know first hand that the complaints you see them voicing there are not exaggerations.