Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    BTW, is your show available over the Internet

No, but the subject has been discussed. It might be time to bring it up again.

I'd love to give your show a good "listening to"... I'm sure it is interesting

Wouldn't know, I've never heard it.. :) Seriously though the feedback is kinda funny, there are days where we don't get any calls and I just run through my list of topics that I pick in advance and they get really good feedback from people who just sit and listen to the show. Frankly I prefer when we get calls, then I can just be myself and talk to someone about cars.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,699
    >>BTW, is your show available over the Internet
    >No, but the subject has been discussed. It might be time to bring it up again.

What station is the program aired on?

This message has been approved.

OK, I posted over there.
    WBVP AM 1230 and WMBA AM 1460
  • 7 am to 8 am, every Saturday morning?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    edited January 2013
    They should be streaming their content on the net. I listen to net radio all day, even for my local stations.

And if they streamed it, I could rip your show for listening at a reasonable hour. :shades:
    Just about every one. If the teaching job has me out of town then they do a "best of" show.
    http://articles.ky3.com/2013-01-23/keyless-entry_36511769

Any idea how to even start the diagnostics? :shades:
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    Awwwww...

Bummer, dude!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    Easy, secret government underground installation. :)
    Great, when I get a new car, I'll have to take some tinfoil off my hat and wrap it around the fob.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Any idea how to even start the diagnostics?

1. Do the door locks work with the key FOB?
    2. Are these all factory installed remote start systems, or are some/all of them after market add ons?
    edited January 2013
    I'm wondering if the shopping carts or the aisles have some sort of built-in RFID tech to either track the carts when people steal them or to run digital ads in the cart as you push them down the aisle. Hm, maybe it's just the items in the cart that the store is trying to track with RFID transponders. Push button ignitions use RFID (really, a shorter range proximately card) to figure out that you are approaching your car.
    Now that's funny.. :D
    1. Do the door locks work with the key FOB?

No, in fact a lot of the people can't get into their cars at all.

2. Are these all factory installed remote start systems, or are some/all of them after market add ons

Factory systems.
    I'm wondering if the shopping carts or the aisles have some sort of built-in RFID tech to either track the carts when people steal them or to run digital ads in the cart as you push them down the aisle.

Good thought, now how would you "prove it"? Then, how do you fix it if that is the case?
    If the frequencies are the same (or the store transponder is stepping on the one the cars use), you could dial back the power or move the transponder so the signal's not bleeding out into the parking lot.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,575
    it sounds like there is enough evidence now that the location is causing the problem. So you have 2 ways to go about diagnosing. 1 is try to get the car to tell you (though I would not be surprised if there was nothing to tell, since the car would think the fob was not there).

so, like Steve said, you almost have to work from the other direction. When you have an active failure, systematically remove a possible source of interference, 1 at a time, until the fob works..

if you can do that, maybe then you can reverse engineer a solution!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    edited January 2013
    About 10 years ago I was riding a Harley through the Alps. At the top of a pass we stopped in a small tavern (every pass in the Alps has a small eatery/tavern I think) that also had a large antenna array located behind it.

Before we left, the waiter told us if we couldn't start our bikes, just roll them down the road a couple hundred meters and try again.

Sure enough, he was right. We couldn't disarm the ignition lock via the key fob, but on a Harley, it can be done manually by entering a code through the blinker switches. One guy with us tried that and was able to start his bike before moving it. The rest of us just followed the waiter's suggestion.

I have no idea what the antenna array was for or what it was transmitting.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    An antenna does not have to be transmitting on the same frequency as the key FOB to perhaps cause a problem. For example, assume the key FOB works at (say) 400 MHz, and a nearby cell tower works at 2.2 GHz, 5.5 times higher than the key FOB. Even if the receiver in the car has a filter at the front end that is only supposed to allow the key FOB's frequency in, those filters are not perfect. So some energy from the cell tower can make it's way to the receiver in the car. This could overload the receiver (saturate the front end) so that it does not "hear" the key FOB signal. This is sort of like trying to pick out one voice in a crowd.

Another phenomenom that can occur is rectification. The cell tower's signal couples onto wiring or the key FOB receiver's antenna. It is then rectified (converted to direct current, DC) and the resultant DC bias can overwelm the front end of the receiver.

Either case can be fixed simply by moving the vehicle out of range of the cell tower.