Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,525
    I don't see the page actually saying much that's definite. It's mostly consult your car maker's recommendation. The 7000 mi is probably what my Buicks will give if I followed their oil life indicators, even higher most likely. And that would be for the regular oil recommended in the manual for both, not the synthetic which I use.

What's the professional opinion on MotorKote?

It seems like the STP of the 2010's. Listen to ATN (America's Trucking Netowrk) on 700 am radio and it's on there with the pusher in person on some shows saying use it for everything, oiling your garden gate, your dieself over-the-road truck your gasoline engine, your transmission, your differential, your snow shovel (this morning on 760 WJR Detroit's Car Talk show). Claims are it attaches itself to metal and protects the important parts of your engine.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,632
    Now for anyone who doesn't understand Steve's attempt at humor, dexos is GM's current oil specification, API SN and ILSAC GF5 fall short of it's requirements. If the green dexos label isn't on the front of the bottle, then it does not meet GM's specification, period. There is a forum here on oil and in one of them specifically there are numerous complaints about oil consumption on certain GM engines. One of the contributing factors for those complaints is that when someone services those cars with a product that fails to meet GM's specs, you end up with deposits forming in the piston ring lands and that contributes to the elevated oil consumption that is being reported. GM's specs also require a much lower volatility than API and ILSAC, and we haven't even touched on the emission systems requirements for the oil.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,945
    I also thought the statement in that article that if you used the wrong viscosity, "the engine's metal parts will rub together" was kind of funny.

If an engine's metal parts rub together, they do that for about 10 seconds!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

What's the professional opinion on MotorKote

It's a tangeled track to the answer, but they quote the use of "The Falex-Timken Lubricity Test". Not to be confused with the "Flex-Timken" test.

Here is Mobile 1's answer about another oil that addresses a question on the subject.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength- .aspx

That link came from a thread from "Bob is the oil guy"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2312175

To sum it up, that bearing test is something that would apply to extreme pressure lubricants, not engine oils. So that means MotorKote likely overdoses ZDDP which means it would ruin o2 sensors and catalytic convertors if used in OBDII gasoline engines.

GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda and just about everyone else warn against the use of additives and make no exceptions about being ready to void warranties if they are used.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,898
    Funny, I just read The Machine Stops online last night.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,970
    It's going to take me a few readings to get through it, but I did notice one interesting thing I missed the first time, 1909.
    Oh "futurists"---often wrong, but never in doubt. :P

Remember flying cars?
    The end of libraries?
    Men on mars?
    War will become impossible?
    Home robots?

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,898
    Terrafugia, net/Kindles & the Roomba.

3 out of 5? :D

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,689
    No practical flying cars yet. Thank goodness! Texting + flying, oh my!
    Absurd useless laughable piles of junk.

Looks like they were a little short on mechanics to fix their machine. ;)
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    On the bright side, if you had a flying car, instead of delivering pizza, you could do crop-dusting...
    I would imagine that a flying car would be much like a floating car---it would make for a bad car and a bad airplane.

>...a flying car would be much like a floating car---it would make for a bad car and a bad airplane.

Not if it's a Buick...

And old car hobbyists say it's the government that's trying to destroy old cars?

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,915
    Some guy who lives in my neighborhood has an Amphacar (sp?). I'll see him driving it once in awhile but I don't know if he ever puts it in our nearby lake.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,294
    IIRC, the [non-permissible content removed] Feds sunk that thing, too. Shame, I'd pay to see that in a museum.
    Jayne Mansfield's car... was that a Buick?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,915
    Yes it was! I seem to recall it was a 1965 Electra.
    edited January 2013
    Paul Danner, AKA "scannerdanner" on YouTube has been working to keep pace with the technology in the cars. While our careers are different a lot of the goals are the same. He has a strong web presence and because of working through the school he has a lot more play time than I do. What he does with his time to play is noteworthy.

http://www.scannerdanner.com/

What you will find there is the blending of the academic skills that a technician must have today, with the raw talent that makes a person capable of being a great mechanic. Machines will never replace what a top mechanic has to be able to do, machines by nature will faulter and fail without trained and experienced people to take care of them.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,139
    And old car hobbyists say it's the government that's trying to destroy old cars?

IIRC, the government destroyed that one, once they seized it. I think they scuttled it.
    one must presume it was already "modified" beyond redemption anyway.

>IIRC, the government destroyed that one, once they seized it. I think they scuttled it.

Do you know the story on that picture?
    Do you know the story on that picture?

http://www.floatingcubans.com/
    edited January 2013
    Hmmm, I thought this would bring out some needed dialog. Or maybe everyone's been waiting because they want post #1000....

When you really see what goes into diagnostics, which Dan has done a great job representing, it takes the perceptions like CarMD, and others who think pulling a code and slamming a part is all there is to it and proves they couldn't be more wrong with what they preach. It's never been the way that they want to try and say that it is and trying to convince the public that their toy of a tool will do everything that a consumer might need wasn't being honest with them. The trick is Dan's site doesn't even cover everything that we do today, he's only got on there material for his students to work from, not some of the really complicated stuff that we have to use to challenge the real master techs that are out there today.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2013
    I thought this would bring out some needed dialog.

First time through, I wasn't sure what we were supposed to look at on the site you linked to - scannerdanner.com. Went back and found out you could scroll through the graphics.

It was hard to tell what they were trying to show, in some cases.

Fig 17&18, I didn't realize some manufacturer's biased their O2 sensors above ground.

Fig 23, not sure what we're looking at - injector current?

Fig 4 (Saturated Switch Waveform) was really informative. So was 13, 14, & 12 (dirty throttle body).
    Fig 17&18, I didn't realize some manufacturer's biased their O2 sensors above ground.

Yea that's a Chrysler trick. Toyota's A/F sensors are even stranger where you read the current flow to know what the actual A/F ratio is. The sensor voltage would be read between 3.0v (rich) and 3.5v (lean), with 3.3v being "normal".

Fig 23, not sure what we're looking at - injector current

Using the low amps probe and an oscilloscope is the right way to monitor many of the outputs from on board computers.

Again, what you see there is the easy stuff, and actually the catalytic convertor test that he has there is actually flawed and isn't a good representation for what a tech needs to know. While to a certain level of understanding it is easy to expect that is accurate, with deeper education we learn why it's not a reliable test.
    What *IS* a reliable catalytic converter test? :confuse:

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,139
    What *IS* a reliable catalytic converter test?

A hacksaw, a straight piece of pipe, and a roll of "Tiger Paw (tm)" tape! :P