Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Subaru Outback

Comments

• vincergvincerg Posts: 6
    edited August 2012
    Hello too all:

I just purchased a 2013 Outback w/ the 3.6L engine. Does anyone know if this year is the same as the 2012 as far as the air filter goes. I always buy an K&N filter for my cars but K&N hasn't listed the filter for 2013 as of yet. Thought I could save myself some time if last year was the same. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Vince
  • 2013ob2013ob Posts: 13
    I would think so. To the best of my knowledge, the engines are indentical on the 3.6L for 2012 and 2013.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Outback 9,282 +10.9%
    Venza 3,995 -8.1%
    CrossTour 1,874 _37.5%
  • placervilleplacerville Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    The new Outback comes with both an automatic and manual transmission in the same vehicle. Leave the stick in D and it's an automatic. Push it into M and it's a manual and all the shifting is done with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,597
    Push it into M and it's a manual and all the shifting is done with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

I don't know - that's like making out with your cousin. Yeah it's kind of the same thing but in the end you just feel ashamed to admit you did it.

:blush:
  • rubi471rubi471 Posts: 1
    Dear placerville, what market are you in? My husband and I live in Denver and we just started researching subaru outback in our area.
  • I have another car with a real paddle shifter (dual clutch system), and I can assure you, the Outback will not even come close to a manual transmission!. The paddel shifter allows you to "shift" into the preset spots of the CVT, but you cannot skip shift points, it is a sequential system in either up or down mode!
  • peraltaperalta Posts: 94
    Yes you can skip a shift point in a subaru by doing 2 quick tugs to the paddle, I assume you haven't tried that one yet.
  • It is still sequential! Going through a singel shift very fast does not change it. it will never be a real manual shift system, always a wanna be only!
  • I'm shopping for a new vehicle to replace my beloved Mazda5; I'll be going for an AWD this time (better for those snowy holiday road trip from New England to visit family in the Great Lakes). I love how Mazdas drive. With the suspension improvements, is the Outback fun to drive? (reviews consistently stated that the 2012 wasn't that great).

Would it compare to the CX-5? Subaru has the best AWD, but I don't want to put up with a car that's not much fun to drive. Conversely, how is the AWD in the Mazda, in your opinion? Thanks for any advice....
  • 2013ob2013ob Posts: 13
    The CX-5 would be more like the Subaru CrossTrek XV coming out next month, as far as size, performance, ect.

The 2.5i 2013 Outback isnt going to make your grin ear to ear when you drive when it comes down to throttle---its not a "quick" car. The 3.6L on the other hand has roughly 80 more HP. I never considered my 2012 or 2013 2.5i Outbacks fun cars to drive. To me, they are all around, practical vehicles for my lifestyle--outdoors, camping, snowboarding, and Outbacks are very roomy. My 2013 feels great on the road, my 2012 plowed through any snow conditions, and I dont anticipate my 2013 to be any different.

My buying decision was based on AWD, all around with off road capabilities, and driving in snow conditions. The Salt Lake Valley can, and does, at times get a lot of snow and the mountains we get a lot of snow.

My girlfriend has a 2005 Mazda CX-7---it has a turbo and scoots pretty good for a 4 banger and is WAY quicker than my Outback. She's looking at the Crosstrek and CX-5 in the next few months when she replaces it.
  • Thanks! The Cross Trek XV seems to be like a modifed Impreza; my Impreza is smaller on the inside than the CX-5. From the brochures, the passenger volume on the CX-5 with moonnroof is 102.3, on the Outback with moonroof is 102.4 - nearly identical (the longer Outback has a larger cargo area). The CX-5 has a weak engine in terms of acceleration (the Outback may be slightly quicker) but handles really well, and is sporty to drive. I'm not expecting the Outback to be as fun to drive as the Mazda, but I hope with the 2013 changes it's at least somewhat of a pleasure. I'm basically unsure of which to buy - the Subaru has by reputation the best reliablility, best AWD, better radio (H-K sounds better than Mazda's Bose) and more cargo room, the Mazda has better fuel economy, is a lot of fun to drive, has the nifty 40/40/20 split rear seats, and with comparable features costs slightly less.

How good, in your experience, are Mazda AWD in snow? Much worse than than that of Subarus?

Thank you again for your input...
    FWIW I drove a CX5 (my sister was shopping) and then an Impreza back-to-back, and the 2l engine struggles to move the weight of the CX5. You get a lot of noise and not much results.

The same size engine in the lighter Impreza coped much better.

She did like the lane departure warning, in fact lots of the tech worked well. It's cute and efficient, too.

The Impreza simply drove better. Surprisingly the back seat was roomier, too. You can't fold the CX5's rear seats without sliding the front seat forward.

We've owned a 626, 2 Miatas, a Legacy, and 2 Forester. All but the 626 were good to us.
  • Thanks. I like the Impreza (my wife has a 2011, which has the stronger engine than the new one). The steering feels a little lighter than on my Mazda5 "microvan" and it doesn't seem to handle quite as well when I push it on corners and twists, but it's still fun to drive and much much better than various rentals I have had. It's also amazing in snow.

We do need a bigger road-trip/hauling stuff car in the family, however, which means an AWD SUV, crossover or wagon. I'd prefer not to compromise too much on drivability, though. The Mazda CX-5 has weak acceleration but it is fun to drive; the dealer even found a really twisty troad to test-drive it on. I'm certainly not expecting it to behave like a sports car, but I'm hoping the Outback with its improvements has become acceptable in that department.
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    The "free" oil changes won't be free. That is for conventional oil only, for synthetic they give you like a $20 credit. I almost bought my Impreza from them, but they are only over on the west side of Minneapolis/St.Paul and too far out of my way and in heavy traffic areas. I'd waiste more that $20 in my time and gas getting there.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    The new Outback comes with both an automatic and manual transmission in the same vehicle.

If only. Sadly, it is an automatic with paddle shifters.
    edited August 2012
    I did enjoy the CX5, FWIW. Just not powerful enough for my wants.

I would LOVE to see a 2.5l SkyActiv engine in there.
    Hello too all:

What should I use to clean & polish the dash and other areas having the same type material. I used to use Armor-all but is that frowned on now w/ the oil in it? I don't mean the leather areas but the dash, doors, etc. Thanks for any help provided.

Vince
    Hello again:

Forgot to ask this on last post. The 3.6L Outback has the smallest tailpipes I have ever seen. That having been said does anyone know what type of stainless extensions would work on them. Also they turn down after coming off the mufflers which may or may not add to problems finding ones that would work.

Thanks, Vince
  • Good luck on this one..... my wife's 2013 subi starts on its own!! Dealer, corp, know nothing about it. Yet, even with the remote for the engine...with the battery out, the car continues to start on its own from time to time.... any suggestions?? I'll give whomever gets the answer to this one a billion bucks.