Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Subaru Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats. Nice that it's more quiet yet handles better, usually you have to trade those off.
  • Drove a 2013 Outback 3.6. Really liked it too. My concern is how well it will tow a small boat. Trailer and boat weigh in at 2500 lbs with trailer brakes. I know the outback is rated for 3000 lbs but I really wonder if towing occasionally over the mountains (4000 ft altitude) would tear this car apart. Also am considering a Highlander but like the smaller size of the outback. Appreciate any ideas and opinions!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    It's not going to tear the car apart, but it will butcher your fuel economy!
  • I figured it would suck alot of gas to tow. Fortunately, I won't be towing that much. I was just concerned if towing would damage the car as the weight is so close to the maximum per subaru. Just wanted to avoid getting an SUV for the few times I needed a tow rig.
    thanks for your imput
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,653
    The Highlander is rated to tow 5K, so if that's your main concern, it would probably be the better choice as it has more reserve towing capability. Having said that, I still prefer the Outback as an all-around daily driver vehicle.

Bob
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 173
    Consider the percentage of time and driving that it will be used to tow the boat versus use as a daily driver. A friend of mine once faced this dilemna regarding towing his (moderately lightweight) sailboat. I advised a Jeep with a 4.0 liter 6 but he bought a Chevy pickup with a V-8. Since it was also used as an occassional daily driver he quickly regretted his choice and 6 months later found a Jeep and used it in that capacity for 5 years.

BTW, I'm in Colorado and smiled at the line; "4,000 foot mountains".

easypa
  • Good advice easypar, thanks! Our Cascade Mountain passes here in washington are lower than yours in Colorado. Makes it easier to get to the sunny part of our state but then we don't get the fabulous snow conditions for skiing you get in Colorado, which is the other reason for the Outback.
    Here in the East our 3000 ft mountains probably feel like foothills out West.

One comment on towing - you want the rear axle doing as much work as possible, so I'd pick the 45/55 split of the VTD AWD over the Highlander's 100/0 default mode any day.
    I agree with you on both points, juice!

When I was in WV, I characterized the area as "very hilly." One local incredulously replied with something like, "Hilly? We're in the middle of the mountains!" I held my tongue and responded with commenting on how the winters must make navigating the roads challenging.... :blush:
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2012
    I've crossed mountains higher than those east coast mole hills ... in a motor boat *. :P

* Crossed the Continental Divide on a cruise ship while transiting the Panama Canal.
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    While I'm a big subie fan, in this case I'd pick the Toyota. I'll make the guess you aren't towing with an empty car and no passangers. Once you start adding cargo and passangers, you need to lower the tow rating by the same amount. That is how most(all?) manufacturers base the tow ratings.
  • Are you sure about that? If so, they would state the Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (GCVR), at least that is how it is done with my motorhome. But Subaru states the tow rating only.

That would mean, the max weight the vehicle can tow, regardless is the vehicles interior load (as long as that meets the stated weight limit.
    I'd actually load cargo in the car, since you don't want the tail wagging the dog.
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    edited August 2012
    That's exactly what I'm getting at. Nearly all manufactures show a GCWR and have some tow rating (example 3000lbs). Most also have a small footnote hidden somewhere that the max tow rating is caluculated with only the driver and no cargo, additional passangers and cargo will reduce towing capacity. Subaru tends to just give a number and nothing more. It is noted as a maximum.

I'm making the assumption the max is calculated like others, your making the assumption its the tow rating dispite cargo and passengers. Either of us could be correct. Subaru doesn't say.

I searched the on-line owners manual and it didn't even reference towing with the car, but only having the car towed.
    My Impreza has a GVWR of 4200 something (bad memory) posted in the door frame next to the PSI suggestions. It doesn't have a GCWR (combined wieght) probably since its not suggested to tow anything.

Does the Outback have a GVCR in the door frame? I can't check my 2001 Outback at the moment and the '12 models are totaly different anyway.
  • grdma2grdma2 Posts: 3
    Just recently purchased a 2013 Outback, Limited. I would like to know what type of tire chains are available for this model? Thanks for the help.
  • 2013ob2013ob Posts: 13
    edited August 2012
    In all the years I grew up in snow and the mountains, not once have I used tire chains. Chains to the best of my knowledge are only required for commerical vehicles (18 wheelers) and cars that are 2WD when signs are posted for snow conditions---it does not apply to 4WD or AWD. If you have AWD or 4WD, you will never be required to put chains on a vehicle. Every vehicle I own or owned in the past 20 years has been or is either AWD/4WD and not once have I had an issue getting through snow (lots of it) Lake Tahoe or the Northern Utah mountains. This is my 2nd Outback (had a 2012 2.5i Premium) and it had no issues whatsoever getting through the snow. In addition, I have never seen an Outback with chains on it. If anything or added security for peace of mind, put snow tires on in the winter
  • Not only would it be difficult to find chains, but Subaru is not recomending them!
    You are correct, an Outback with "real" winter tires on is hardly stoppable!

We live here in winter wonderland (Minnesonwta), and winter tires on my 2003 Outback were all it was needed to get us through!
    Low profile Z-chains used to fit on older Subarus. Clearance is kinda tight.
    I bought a set of four SCC Whitestar (WS1614) chains for my Forester earlier this summer. I test fit them, and they fit great, but I haven't used them yet. Honestly, I may never use them, but I have found the limits of its ability with good winter tires before, and these should push that capability even further should the need arise.
  • vincergvincerg Posts: 6
    Hello too all:

In my 2013 Outback I have a Harman/ Kardon Premium Sound w/ navigation. In the center console there is an USB slot. I loaded an MP3 song on the memory card to try it out but it wouldn't play it or recognize the USB memory card. Am I doing something wrong? The manual is quite thick as I am when it comes to making sense of its content. It recognizes the CD's but not the USB card. Perhaps it uses something other than a USB memory card in the console slot? Many thanks to whatever help can be passed on to me & my problem.

Regards, Vince