Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Subaru Outback

12345679»

Comments

• albert72albert72 Posts: 141
    edited September 2013
    I am interested in an Outback but am nervous due to information from your posts and reading those of others.

Regarding the pinging sound from the engine - has that gone away on yours and if I am looking at an Outback, will I notice the sound right away or is it something that may show up over time?

I like the look of the Outback vs the CRV but if I am going to have all sorts of problems with the Outback, I will just go with a CRV as I know it is reliable.

Also - have you had any issues with transmission noise or any of the check engine lights coming on?

Lastly, is your state known for having bad gas?

Thanks for the info.
  • My state has ok gas....with this model I have had to upgrade to premium which has added expense to the product. The ping started at about 5k miles. It is very annoying.
    also noted is a light rollback when shifting from R or P to D. No other problems that you mentioned.
  • Special appearance package includes keyless entry and push button start, walk up to the driver door with key in your pocket and you can unlock locked driver door buy grabbing door handle, but then no other doors can be opened unless you do it old fashioned way by hitting door unlock on fob or button inside car.

IF I first go to front passenger door when all doors locked and key in pocket and open it, then i can open or anyone, key or not, can open any door, this is backwards, of course.

Anybody have info on how to change this?
  • I've got 22K on my 2013 Outback and have been experiencing the PRE-ignition (pinging) since the beginning. I've had to use premium fuel to keep it at a minimum. It's not related to poor fuel. It's obviously way more pronounced when the windows are open and hard to detect when the windows are closed, but it's still happening.
    Type "Engine Knock" in Wikipedia, this a definitely an issue that will reduce the longevity of the engine! I'm planning a dealer visit to discuss, I'll keep you updated. Don't let Subaru off the hook with this issue!
  • Go beyond the dealer....register complaints at the Cherry Hills NJ corporate office. I am pushing for a recall.
  • I bought my new 2013 outback in Dec. 2012. Towards the end of March I started hearing a lot of rattling coming from the engine at slow acceleration. After many many visits to my dealer and many phone calls over the past 7 mo.s I still have this car and the rattling. So frustrating. After taking apart my engine and putting it back together putting microphones on the engine, etc. they have told me that it is pinging. I have to use the highest octane gas to keep the noise at a minimum, even still it is a constant rattling reminding me that I spent a lot of money and feel like I am driving a junker. Again, so frustrating. Doesn't Subaru market itself by saying "We make sure our customers are satisfied"? I am not satisfied. How can I be when my "new" car sounds awful. What damage is being done to my engine that will show up years down the road? I have been in contact with headquarters but they say that a resolution is being worked on, it is called a reflash and it could take another year? wow. Recall please. Recall NOW.
  • to Subaru of America, located in NJ.
    RECALL 2013 OUTBACKS WITH PING/REFLASH NOW. THE CAR SOUNDS LIKE A JUNKER AND THE PREMIUM GAS IT REQUIRES IS EXPENSIVE.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2012-14 Subaru Outback, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• winter2winter2 Posts: 1,798

I have a 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium. No pinging of any sort even when heavily loaded. I am not sure where this problem is coming from. Took the Outback to Florida from Maryland. Used premium fuel for most of the trip as I had a lot of stuff in the car. Ran better/smoother with premium on the road and fuel economy went up about 8% over using regular gas.